What's new

NEW HD format to be launched...the industry responds to HTF demands! (1 Viewer)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Anyone have any pricing specs on these stickers? I would be willing to pay about $600 for the player sticker and about $30 apiece for the disc stickers. Hollywood, are you listening? I want those stickers!

Bruce

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
The problem with the scratch-n-sniff stickers is that they definitely have a finite use-life.

Unless once we purchase a scratch-n-sniff sticker, we can periodically get it refreshed for a nominal fee, à lá Divx? (That would be the Circuitless City one.)

Leo

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
nah...you'll be buying the "fresher scent" version ( and then the Fresher Scent with Scotch Guard version) before you ever wear the old one out

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well that tears it. :angry:

It now appears that studios have all agreed on a "one size fits all" sticker to save money. What this means is that the stickers will be pan & scan for most older movies, and crop & dropped for most newer films.

OAR only stickers or bust.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Well, aside from your tongue-in-cheek post, you can guarantee when the new HD DVD formats hit, almost every standard DVD will have "MASTERED IN HIGH DEFINITION" all over them, to confuse the average consumer even more.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Beware: All these stickers are stickers.
They are not removable (the infamous root-sticker) & invite unwanted stickers to also inhere to your hardware/software!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Apparently, Sony has developed a new stronger coating that is scratch-and-sniff proof that should last for quite some time. Without a real-world test sticker however I have my doubts.

GarySchrock

Second Unit
Of course, the reality is that most people find that that stickers they already have are entirely adequate, and really don't feel that it's worth upgrading to butterfly stickers or scratch and sniff apples. The real problem is that for most people it's just too expensive to upgrade to the new eyes and nose necessary to enjoy these stickers, something that often seems to be overlooked here because many here have already done such an upgrade (although they're also finding that their "upgraded" eyes and nose may not be able to take full advantage of these new stickers).

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
It's actually come to my attention that these stickers are not exclusive to Blu-Ray, and in fact are still under discussion by both sticker camps.

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit
I will only support stickers that can be removed and re applied on other items. Stickers that are limited to one product, no matter how nice they smell, are worthless to me. I want to move my stickers around. I demand my freedom. If I can only put the stickers on one player or disk it is not worth it. I want to be able to put my HD sticker on my toaster and then take it off my toaster and put it on my cat.

Movable stickers or no sale, I am smelling something other than apples here folks.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
*** IMPORTANT UPDATE ***

It seems that the studios are worried about people making unauthorized copies of the stickers on their own PCs and label-makers/printers.

In an effort to prevent unauthorized duplication, the stickers will apparently not be printable on any currently available printers.

You'll have to buy NEW printers with a special new digital interface in order to print the stickers to ensure that they are not illegally dupliated. The new copy protection under development is called "POS" for "Print-Once-Sticker".

Of course, consumers may have issues with this given that their existing printing and PC hardware cannot be used to download and print the stickers...but the studios are convinced this shouldn't matter or impeed adoption.

Warner brothers is the most concerned studio of all and might plans to even force the down-resing of the sticker graphics to 640 x 480 and only 200 dpi for all printers that don't conform to the new POS standard.

Disney, Fox, and Sony so far have stated they WILL allow printing of their stickers via legacy printers at full 600 dpi. The plot thickens!

More info coming soon!

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
This whole Sticker War pisses me off!

I'm going to hold off for HVS (Holographic Video Stickers). Working prototypes have shown to be 100 times more sticky and support 4K sticker images!

"Best Sticker Ever!"

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
These HD stickers are not as impressive as one might think.

I saw some at a recent HD demo and they were all covered over with FBI Copyright Warning stickers that prevented you from seeing the HD sticker for 30 seconds.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey David,

You forgot one thing and that is the sticker that is endorced by microsoft. Will most likely have security holes and may or may not blue screen when used on unaproved dvd's. :laugh:

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I'm waiting to see what kind of sticker they use on the x-rated discs! now THAT would be interesting. And i could quite easily see a benfit to scratch-and-sniff.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

Would this be a purple sticker that completely covers the side of the disc you'd normally insert face down? (With royalties going to both Red and Blue laser camps?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks