What's new

New Girl - season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The line that made me laugh was when Cici said "That's dibolical" to Jess telling her how the girl said she wears alot of polka dots.
Patrick Sun said:
They introduced a lesbo gyno character without much fanfare.
I was wondering if I missed an episode or if they shuffled the episode order.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
"Wash a towel? The towel washes me! What next, you going to wash the shower? Wash the bar of soap? You got to think, man!"

Folks, I really enjoy discussing OSI here.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
First and only episode I've seen. I'm definitely a latecomer, but really enjoyed it. Always pick what looks most promising each season and concentrate on those. This completely skipped my radar. Will definitely be watching in the future, hope they do some repeats of early episodes like '2 Broke Girls' so I can catch up. I hope they pull a "Happy Endings" and give it a full chance, renewing it long enough for people to really get to know the characters. Looks pretty solid one some rating sights I read, so hopefully second season renewall isn't far away.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Hated the pilot, dropped the show, came back Tuesday for Lizzy Caplan. Still not sold on the show, but she was terrific as always.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Hated the pilot, but have caught a couple other eps that were tolerable. I am sick of every media mention of the show managing to somehow use the non-word "adorkable".

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I can't quite place a finger on this show. I often think it's satire of every other sitcom, taking tired concepts, regurgitating them, and then taking those concepts to the extreme of where they could go. And on that level, it succeeds. This week was definitely that.. the old sitcom plot of "too many in a rental" has been done a bunch of times, but damn, the way they brought the landlord in killed me. I was absolutely dying in the 3-way scenes with Jess fake dancing with "I can do this, I can do this" Holy cow.. it was hard to catch a breath in there, for that entire sequence from the dinner table spit-take with the homemade alcohol to the landlord coming out with no pants.. so over the top, but damn killed me.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
This episode was great all around. My favorite bit was the landlord matter-of-factly sharpening the broom handle into a point.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's a very erratic show. I was indifferent about this one. But my cat has run away so I'm not in the greatest of moods.

But the show has enough oddball humor that I keep coming back. (In contrast, I've quit Mike & Molly.)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
It's a very erratic show. I was indifferent about this one. But my cat has run away so I'm not in the greatest of moods. :crazy: But the show has enough oddball humor that I keep coming back. (In contrast, I've quit Mike & Molly.)
Dave, seems like you and and I have similar tastes. Really enjoyed the early Mike and Molly episodes, but they moved into marriage mode way to fast. The secondary characters aren't to bad, except I despise Swoozie Kurtz. The only enjoyable part now is Mike's mother and dog Jim, who is really a Jill.. They really brighten up a pretty substandard show. The other cop and his grandmother are also pretty funny with what little time they're given. I don't think I can remember a show where the secondary actors steal every scene they're in. Time for some Emmy's for them, not the supposedly main stars.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Pretty funny Valentine's Day episode. Go Schmidtty! Too bad they couldn't work in a Lizzy Caplan-Ryan Kwanten True Blood reunion...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quote: Originally Posted by Stan

Dave, seems like you and and I have similar tastes. Really enjoyed the early Mike and Molly episodes, but they moved into marriage mode way to fast. The secondary characters aren't to bad, except I despise Swoozie Kurtz. The only enjoyable part now is Mike's mother and dog Jim, who is really a Jill.. They really brighten up a pretty substandard show. The other cop and his grandmother are also pretty funny with what little time they're given. I don't think I can remember a show where the secondary actors steal every scene they're in. Time for some Emmy's for them, not the supposedly main stars.
Swoozie Kurtz was the completely wrong choice for their mom. The sister is voluptuous, Molly is overweight, and Kurtz is rail-thin; it was visually distracting from the start. And then the humor quickly devolved to Two and Half Men Season 7 caliber; junior-high grade. Add in the depressing mom and I gave up last Fall.

Originally Posted by Patrick Sun [url=/t/314942/new-girl-season-1-thread/60#post_3897607]

Pretty funny Valentine's Day episode. Go Schmidtty!
Too bad they couldn't work in a Lizzy Caplan-Ryan Kwanten True Blood reunion...

Enjoyed this one. I like Schmidt's complex relationship with CiCi. I didn't see that happening back at the beginning. Nick's unraveled date at the legal firm, sharing champagne with the intern.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
does anyone here watch Parks and Rec? Schmidt is basically a good-looking Tom Haverford :)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Another good episode, especially with Nick succumbing to charms of Dermot Mulroney.

"He smells like strong coffee and going to see a man about a horse."

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
"Now you fold that sweater, don't hang it."

New Girl has been erratic to me. I really liked it to start, and there's been some good episodes lately. Last night's was very funny -- my wife was giggling throughout. But I'm struggling with it more. I'm not sure I'll watch past this season now.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Nick trying to fold it as he was rushing to help Jess was pretty funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks