What's new

need help with speaker plans... (1 Viewer)

MarcWi

Agent
Ok I recently picked up a Pioneer VSX-d811s at a great price. I wont be setting it up till June as its a birthday gift from my wife. I was planning to use the speakers for an old RCA Home Theaer in a box set up but I decided to invest a little $ in some new speakers. Im not a true audiophile and I was just looking for somehting better that what I had and more up to tkaing the 100 watts per channel of the new reciever. I picked up three sets of the KLH Model TW-09B “Twistable” 2-Way 100 Watt Multi-Purpose Speaker Pair. Im planning on using a 6.1 set up and I already have a powered subwoof to use. However, I noticed the next day bestbuy ran a special on the KLH Center Channel and 3-Pc. Surround Sound Series Model HT-9930. So I swapped out one pair of the twisties for this set. Now I have a center channel but Im unsure of how to use the two speakers that come with it as they are different than the twistables. My initial thought is to use four twistables as front left and right and rear left and right and use one of the speakers from the 3 piece set as my rear center.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Due to room layout and "neatness" issues I have to refrain from 7.1 for now.......

Thanks!

You didn't mention your budget. Don't overlook the importance of quality speakers. Regardless of the quality of your receiver, it'll only sound as good as the speakers that bring it to your ears. Figure out what your comfortable spending, do some research on the forum and audition some speakers at home. Most decent stores have a 30 day return policy. It may sound great on the showroom floor but much different in your living room. Take your time and do this right, in the end you'll be glad you did. I was!

MarcWi

Agent
William,

Thanks for the advice. I did make sure the return policy lasted until after Ill be setting these up for that reason. I heard the twistables in the store and was impressed for the price. My budget is pretty much gone as all of this stuff is technically a gift!!! However, If I set it up and Im not happy, ill just return them and use wht I have until I get more money.

That said, what I was really getting at in my post is whether it will sound odd in the rear center speaker is a different model than the front l/r and surround l/r.

I always thought it's a good idea to match all speakers as closely as possible. The front three are the most important since 60-70% of the action comes from those speakers. A closely matched center channel is critical. I would probably say the same for the rear. If you have some surround moving between your back left and right channels you would want it to travel smoothly from speaker to speaker. If your rear center speaker is not well matched then I would think it could throw off the surround field effect. Even though it may only happen once or twice during a good action movie I would want the peace of mind knowing that my rear/center surrounds are well matched if not exact.

MarcWi

Agent
Interesting. Perhaps a better choice would be to use the full 3 piece set(center channel, and included left and right front) in the front and 3 twistables as rear left, right and center.

I guess Ill have to try different combinations after installing.

Any other thoughts?

That combo you mentioned doesn't sound too bad. I think that as long as your front three match each other and your rear three match each other you'll be good to go. Some people prefer to use the exact same speaker for all six channels. But unless you listen to 6.1 music (Super Audio CD or DVD Audio) most of the time it's really overkill unless you can afford the $ and the space. If most of your listening is with movies and standard CD's then that setup should be fine. Of course the only way to know for sure is to audition them. Set them up and calibrate your audio preferably using Video Essentials or Avia. Once calibrated pick out a good 6.1 DVD and use a series of good surround scenes to test your ears. Try other speaker setups that you might want to consider and run through the calibration and test scenes again. That should help you determine the best setup for your situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks