What's new

need Help setting up a Denon AVR-3200 Receiver and (1 Viewer)

Don

Second Unit
setting the dvd player up to it. i need to know how do i know if i have the speakers set to large or small. also i have the 6 ch. ext going to my dvd player dvd player is a toshiba sd-4700 according to Denon i hook the dvd player with the 2 channel audio and the video do i still have to do this. Don,

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Don: Your post is not very clear. I'm not sure what you're asking...

If you are trying to set speaker size on the Denon, you need to do it via the setup menu on the TV. It can't be done by just using the receiver's front panel.

Also, (if you are going to use the 6 channel input to connect to your DVD player,) the receiver's speaker size settings are meaningless for for the 6 channel input (the DVD player must handle this for the 6 channel connection.) The receiver's 6 channel input bypasses ALL processing and only provides volume control for that input...

Don

Second Unit
Chuck i'm not sure how to be sure on the speaker setup i mean on the speakers is it all white that they have or the one that has a white border with a white letter inside it. i am using the remote to set things up but also how do i get my dvd player to work how do i set it up when my dvd players shows diffrent instructions then my receiver does. my dvd player does have a built in dolby digital decoder so i would like to have this option to work. Don,

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
On a Denon, the ALL white choice is the selection, whether it's for speaker selection or whatever.

If you want to run the DVD player for both Dolby Digital and DTS, then run 6 cables from the DVD player into the 6 channel input on the Denon. Remember, as I noted above, your speaker selection on the Denon does NOT do anything on the 6 channel input. You'll have to set speaker size selection on the DVD player for that. I don't know what brand DVD player you have but all of them have a basic setup routine that you'll need to go thru. Just take it one step at a time. Then when you're ready to play a DVD, switch the Denon to the External Input. (Just in case you do end up with something set or hooked up wrong, turn down the volume when you 1st test things so that you won't accidently cook something...)

Don

Second Unit
Chuck my DVD player is the Toshiba svp-4700 any ideas on how to set the speakers thru the dvd player. also i have the monitor out going to the video in on the tv. but no video out on the tv. also thanks for your Help. Don,

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I would use the 6 ch analogue inputs for dvd-a only and use the coax or opt for dvd's. set the Denon to auto when you start playing a dvd and it will find your digital input.

Ten choose either dd or dts from the dvd's menu and the denon will do the rest. Reading the manual that Denon has for my 5800 is vey challenging but you may want to try yours paticularly for speaker settings.

peter m.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Don: I'm no help with a Toshiba. I'm all Sony for my home DVD players.

As for the TV, have you switched it to the input that the Denon is hooked to? Many TVs have multiple inputs and you may have to toggle thru them to get a picture. Also, don't forget that the cable you're trying may not be good. Try a different one just to make sure.
There are other alternatives but these are worth exploring 1st.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Don, does your Denon 3200 have DTS decoding? If it does, then link your DVD player to it digitally. Forget about using the 6 channel inputs.

If the 3200 lacks DTS, then you will have to use the 6 channel inputs to get DTS. Even so, I would rather use the decoder in the reciever than the DVD player in most setups, even if it means loosing DTS.

Don

Second Unit
Jeremy there is no DTS on the AVR-3200 but the AVR-3300 does have it. the reason i'm using the 6 ch input is because toshiba says to do so and i guess that is the way i'll get my dd sound. Don,

Don

Second Unit
Chuck you are a Help. without you and the other people here i might of given up on it. but i'm going to retry evreything. Don,

Don

Second Unit
Peter how do i choose the dvd a. also how do i do the things you said there is no DTS on this receiver. just my Luck. Don,

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I can only speak to my reciever but i'm sure we have some similarities.
First If either your dvd player or the denon has dts decoding then all you need is either a coax or optical connection to the reciever. I also have the tosh sd5109 which has dd decoding but only dts pass thru so dts would have tobe done by the reciever. How old is yours? and does it metion dts at all in the manual?

For dvd-a or sacd the analogue inputs on mine are designated as EXT 1 AND EXT 2. If you can find that on the remote or the face of the box that's how to activate it.

I don't think using the analogues for DTS will provide a very satisfactory result as movies and dts music discs are mixed in a way to sound best when using the digital (coax input.
If you don't have dts decoding in either the box or the dvd, probably the cheapest way is to buy a dvd player that decodes both in the player.

good luck,
Peter m.

Don

Second Unit
peter no dts on my receiver not sure how old my receiver is but i think the dvd player is about two years old. now all i have to do is figure out what the difference between ac-3, coaxial and toslink/optic are. Don,

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I think ac3 is if you have a lserdisc player only.
Coax and optical do exactly the same thing they pass the digital signal from a component to the reciever so don't use both from the dvd player or anything else. Choose 1 or the other and plug it in,

Did this stuff fall of a truck or do you have some sort of manual? If not do a Google search for manuals for each item, if your luckey you can dnld them.

Peter m.

Don

Second Unit
peter no it did not fall off a truck i've had it for a few years but never hooked it up because i never did find the speakers i wanted to use with it. and yes i do have the manual but it is not very clear to me. Don,

Ashleymc34

Auditioning
Real Name
Ashley
ADVICE PLEASE..

I won a Denon AVR 3200 on ebay for $90 shipped and wondering now what i got myself into!
Im no electonic person but have basic skills in electricity and such.
Currently I have a 10 year old 36" Sanyo TV with a basic fm tuner amp and 2 low cost speakers for sound.
Now after seeing and reading about this unit as it comes with no remote or manual is this a good deal or start for me to get better sound cheap or a nightmare I will be sorry I bought?? any thoughts appreciated!!
PS I can get the 3200 manual for another $22 ..is this whole project a wise way to go? Thanks great site!!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would get a Harmony remote so that you can map any remote button that you need to the Harmony.

Check your PM about your other issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks