What's new

Nancy Drew / Hardy Boys Mysteries Season 2? (1 Viewer)

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete

This is the part that upsets me... I always enjoyed the Nancy Drew episodes more. But thats ok... The Hardy Boys was always good too... so I will still get Season 3 if/when they decide to release it.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Pete, Tim, thanks for the info. I did some "Google'ing" and I came up with another actress's name: "Janet Julian". I'm guessing that it's the same person as Janet Louise Johnson?

Anyway, thanks for the info! Does William Schallert continue the role as Nancy's Dad in S2? He's been one of my favorite actors during that era and earlier in a lot of 60's series.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
While Season 2 features a different intro than Season 1 (albeit with the same music), Season 3 features a disco-fied version of the theme with a "Charlie's Angel's"-style intro. Not for all tastes, as it's pretty cheesy, but I like it.

beatlejam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Otto
Jeff,

Yes, William Schallert continues as Nancy's dad in Season Two. In fact, he is the only *unchanged* cast member throughout the run of Nancy Drew.

The characters "George" and "Ned" are played by different actors in Season Two. And, of course, Nancy herself eventually changes, too!:)

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
Is the episode The Hardy boys and Nancy Drew meet Dracula the same script as McCloud meets Dracula?

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm so glad that this is coming out. I just wish they had combined season 2 and season 3 in one set to complete the entire thing.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

I agree...strange that they weren't combined. Maybe some hidden legal issues? Who knows with this DVD market. One thing it does, is we get to get "in touch" with our "patience meters" :)

beatlejam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Otto
I think I know why Seasons Two and Three weren't combined; in fact, I think I know why we're seeing Season Two released at all:

It turns out that the same week that Season Two is coming out, a new Nancy Drew movie will be released (looks very lame, based on the trailer I saw) from Warner Bros. starring Julia Roberts' niece.

So apparently, Universal is just trying to tie-in Season Two with the movie (hence Nancy's huge presence on the Season Two box, dwarfing the Hardys).

No doubt Universal will do the same thing for Season Three when Ben Stiller's Hardy Men spoof comes out in a year or two.

Although I *hate* Hollywood's trend in recent years of "updating" classic shows, if it means we get what we want on DVD, so be it! However, it's a shame that a lot of great stuff won't come out because they're not considered "hot" to today's youth, etc.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
sounds about right... and I hope you are right about Season 3 coing out with The Hardy Men.

I am curious about this new Nancy Drew movie though... any chance you have a link to the trailer?

EDIT:
Never mind... I found the trailer... and don't look like anything to get excited about... to say the least. Though looks like my daughter would love it... so I will probably have to see it with her... and buy the DVD for her.

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
I think you are spot on with the timing of the release. Additionally, Warner Bros. is releasing on DVD the 4 Nancy Drew films from the 30's that starred Bonita Granville.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Well, I just have to say that I'm happy that the second season is coming out...finally!!!!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

MT108

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Turner
I don't think the 3rd season belongs with the 2nd. Aside from there being no Nancy Drew, the program changed from being a light, teenage mystery show to an adult crime drama. Also, the supernatural overtones were dropped. If you liked episodes from the first two seasons like The Mystery of Witches Hollow, HB & ND Meet Dracula, The House on Possessed Hill, Voodoo Doll, The Disappearing Floor, etc., you won't find much similar to those in the 3rd. I haven't watched my video tapes of the 3rd season in over 10 years, but I seem to remember the only interesting episode being the one with David Gates (Defection To Paradise).

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
The 3rd season came up with some gimmicky premise in which the Hardy Boys went to work for Jack Kelly and the FBI as special agents investigating unusual cases that the government couldn't solve. This completely moved the series away from the essence of the books, which was adhered to fairly well in the first 2 seasons.

beatlejam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Otto

True, the "Justice Department agents" storyline was such a departure from the previous seasons and the books that it turned off a lot of viewers.

However, I actually liked the change. I thought it was cool that the characters "grew up" a bit; Shaun Cassidy and Parker Stevenson were getting older, so it seemed like a natural progression for the boys to get government jobs where they were *assigned* cases rather than just falling into them. Also, in the first episode of Season Three, Joe is planning to get married. Even with these "adult" changes, the show was still interesting and fun, just different.

Interestingly enough, about ten years after the show ended, a new series of paperback Hardy Boys adventures called Casefiles incorporated many of the elements of Season Three: espionage, mature themes, etc.

At any rate, I hope that the "adult" Season Three of The Hardy Boys will be released when The Hardy Men movie comes out, so we can finally have the entire series on DVD!

And....since Season Three had only ten episodes, how about filling things out with some bonus features like new interviews and commentary from Shaun & Parker and producer Glen A. Larson, gag reel, etc. :)

David Brent

Stunt Coordinator
I'm joining the party late, but I'm thrilled that we're getting season 2 of Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew.

I've been rationing out the episodes on the first set - one every few months -fearing that we might never get any more. I'd hope it's now likely that the releases are completed with a third set somewhere down the line.

Looking forward to the summer, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks