What's new

My wife wants a Bose Wave Radio (1 Viewer)

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up the Boston Acoustics radio and I would give it high marks for what it is. If you want CD or stereo this is not for you but if your just looking for a nice radio in a compact package you wouldn't regret it.

Ben LG

Stunt Coordinator
I would go with what NickSo suggested, heard good things about it. The price is not bad either :)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I think a full Tivoli audio system with CD and Sub would still be cheaper than the Wave Radio up here in canada (based on price quoted by cameron)

Iver

Second Unit
If your wife is really convinced she'll be happy with the Bose and only the Bose, then that'd be your best option. If you just want the best value I'd check out the Tivoli. You can get it delivered from j&R.

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
If you can wait, Boston Acoustics will introducing a stereo version of the Recepter radio w/CD player.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
FWIW: I inherited a Bose wave radio without cd and too be totaly honest it sounds wonderful. Now I can honestly say this because it did not cost me a thing although to get it, someone did pass on but thats another story.:frowning: It really sounds good but I am not sure I would drop the money these run because I know how much more could be had with the same amount of money. Bottom line, if she really wants one, NO matter how much it cost, you would be better off buying it for her. Take this advise form someone with a 20+ year marriage. :b

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have heard the Cambridge and the Bose side by side and IMHO the Cambridge blows the Bose away. I have also heard that Bose has a high rate of return and problems with the wave radio. I would ether get the Cambridge or another comperible brand.

Adam*M

Stunt Coordinator
That Bose ad has been running for a long time. Does anyone else notice the old 66 Mhz Power Macintosh they show next to the radio when they talk about the "high tech" radio? It makes me laugh every time. And the display on it looks like a casio watch from 1985. Maybe that's when it was considered to have good sound? I wonder what kind of outdated CD mechanism is in there? These things must cost about 30 dollars to manufacture.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

Funny you say that. The 3-2-1 system is on it's 2nd revision, and it has only been out for a few years. I wonder why Blose has not replaced it yet - I bet a lot of the parts are more expensive to make because there are cheaper alternitaves now days.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I bought a Cambridge 740 for my office a few months back. It is by far the best sound I've had from anything near it's size. Especially considering that it must run at a fairly low volume most of the time. It still sounds great up higher but for having something on and still hearing normal conversation, it sounds wonderful to my semi-picky ears...

Dan Hinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Hinson
For what it's worth: a new Bose Wave Radio/CD (Series II) will be coming out at the end of this month. It will sell for $500; same as the old.

The new unit has a front loading CD mechanism and will be able to play CDs with MP3s. An under-the-counter mounting kit will also be forthcoming, and the new Radio/CD is presumably designed with this in mind.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I have the Tivoli Model 2 and subwoofer in my bedroom and I think it sounds great and looks decent. I bought the Model 2 to replace powered computer speakers I was using to listen to XM radio in my bedroom. I had the setup about a year and finally upgraded to add the subwoofer too. It adds nicely to the bottom end, but I certainly wouldn't want to use it with movies. But for listening to XM or perhaps to my mp3 player or minidisc, it works great. It supposedly has a very good FM tuner too, but I almost always use the aux jack for one of my playtoys mentioned above.

I don't remember the price of the Model 2, but the subwoofer is around $80 or so; I'd estimate the Model 2 is perhaps $150. So for around $250, you have a system that sounds and looks great.

Enjoy!

Steve K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks