What's new

Oh the Horror - My Clock Radio Died (1 Viewer)

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
What am I going to do ...
Back around 1980, I acquired an incredible state-of-the-art GE Digital AM/FM Clock Radio. This thing was a modern work of art ... all entries were through a digital keypad (like a calculator) ... time set, alarm set, radio station, everything was digital. You always know what station you are tuned to. The snooze timer was even digital and touch-sensitive.

UPDATE ... Oh my god ... I've found a picture of my baby on the web

Last month it died. This friend has been with me through college, several moves, east coast, west coast, marriage, kids, dog, you name it. I've lived with it every day for 20+ years (more than my wife). Now it's history ... albeit enshrined.

How am I ever going to replace this trooper? I've looked .. the clock radios out now just dont fit the bill. PLEASE help me find a suitable replacement!!!

Here's what I gotta have
clear display
dual alarms - choose radio or buzzer
Nice, rich & hi-tech styling.
big prominent snooze - adjustable snooze interval.

Here's what would also be nice
RF time setting - synchs with US atomic clock
display adjusts to room lighting.
I'm neutral on internal CD player, wont really uise it.

Here's what I dont want
No two speaker, both sides of the bed deal
No analog radio tuning
No integral telephone
No M&M or Cartoon characters.

Please make me a recommendation. Feel free to post links and/or pics. Be gentle, I'm still grieving ....

PS: ... anybody points me to the Bose Wave radio and I'm gonna go postal

Scott

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
:frowning:

I know it's difficult, can I suggest a support group or a grief counselor? It may not seem like this today, but in time, you will find healing.

We are all here for you.

--
H

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
You know this reminds me of something funny......

I have a GE clock radio. The shape is literally just a rectangle with an electrical cord. A box type deal with that faux woodgrain on the outside that was so popular in the 80's.

Non-digital in every way, just twist knobs and bottons and big red letters for the clock. Not a pretty thing by any means.

A couple of years ago I replaced it with a new Sony type deal that was around $25. The old one wasn't broken, but just figured it was time you know.

First thing I noticed when I plugged mine in, the Sony one sounded like sh*t! Pretty amazing as you figure this new and shiny modern clock radio would sound ten times better. Sound was tinny and weak at best. And the reception was worse, even though it benefited from an external antenna! Now, I'm didn't go out and start conducting an in-depth study, but I had a feeling probably most of new clock radios probably sounded the same- like ass. We have two other 'modern' clock radios in the house of different makes than the sony and sure enough when I listened to them, they sounded like crap. I also checked out some new GE radios, just to see if GE had the magical touch, and sure enough, they sounded tinny just like the other brands.

Needless to say, I plugged the old trusty beat up GE back in. The sound from that lil old beat up speaker is just fuller, with more bass response, and more '3-d' sounding. Being that I listen to the clock radio quite a lot in bed (when I get up I use my 'normal radio' Denon in the room), sound quality is a real issue. I just couldn't live with the sony after a couple days of trying. It does have some neat features, preset stations and all that- a better alarm as well, but really I didn't those. I ended up just giving it to my brother.

And you know what, although my old trusty GE is pretty fugly, the new digital ones these days are even uglier. The thing Tommy G posted, which is what most of them look like these days, is hideous!

Scott- sounds like you really loved that clock radio, this might be a strange suggestion, but you might want to get it repaired! Mine is like yours, old 80's GE with faux wood and everything. Mine isn't digital though which cuts down on the footprint and amount of knobs. I figure if mine ever dies, I'd get it repaired. The new ones just don't cut it to me.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Anyone know where to get the clock radio that Tom Cruise had in Vanilla Sky? If not, anyone know how I can get Penelopee Cruz to wake me up every morning? Oh, it has to be a wife-friendly solution.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
I was recently in the market for a new radio alarm clock and ended up giving up. I just couldn't find anything that had all the features I was looking for (many of which were listed by the threadstarter) and was suprised to discover that there just wasn't much of a selection to start with. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for sure to see what pops up.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I have this ancient Panasonic "Stereo" Clock radio with detatchable speakers that I bought on the bargain table at Wal-Mart back in 1984. It has great AM performance; better than any I've heard since. The FL display is getting that typical dimming look due to it's age but I really can't imagine another clock radio I'd even like in place of it.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ya know, i gotta give props to sony. i have an older (i'll have to look for a pic once i remember the model number) one that i bought somewhere in the mid 80's. at the time, the thing was like 50 bucks and was state of the art.

that thing is just now starting to die. that means i've had that flippin' clock somewhere around 15 years! :eek: what really impressed me was that even though the little dangly fm antenna wire broke, it still pulled in every station. not too bad!

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
funny, just the other day I was talking to my SO about my alarm, I've had it since I was in the 4th grade, and I'm almost 26 now. Still about 9 years older than your's, but pretty old in my book.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Just today I got rid of a VERY old clock radio. It was like the first digital one we could find.

It was basically a bitch to work properly if you went 1 minute past where you set the alarm/clock you needed to go ALL THE WAY back around.

Lasted me like 28 years and the only thing that went wrong was the radio started to get touchy.

Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks