What's new

My Favorite Martian - season 3 has a Bonus Disc (1 Viewer)

JoyceHH

Auditioning
I know someone on the West Coast who has received it. It was ordered through the website with a cost of $7.00 shipping, and it took 10 days to arrive.

The extras include home movies, the unaired pilot, interviews with the Art Director and the Film Editors, an interview with actor Wayne Stam, a still gallery, some episode commentaries, plus other special features.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
JoyceHH said:
I know someone on the West Coast who has received it. It was ordered through the website with a cost of $7.00 shipping, and it took 10 days to arrive.
The extras include home movies, the unaired pilot, interviews with the Art Director and the Film Editors, an interview with actor Wayne Stam, a still gallery, some episode commentaries, plus other special features.
Cool. I received a shipping notification on Nov. 21, so hopefully I'll see the package sometime late next week or early the following week.

Chertok Television.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Licencing Department
Hello everyone.

The set plays on NTSC,

Some information on the "Lost" pilot that appears on this new set.

The pilot was changed when the network felt that the dynamic was just a little too sexy for 1963.

The Annabelle character was changed to a visting cousin rather than Mrs Brown's daughter, other changes were 1)a longer control room sequence. 2)

Uncle Martin speaks Italian. (and more little changes as well)

And new segments where, 1) Tim calls in the story. 2) Uncle Martin delivers the ship to the garage.

To Umbrella's credit this was a rather pricey transfer from the missing master film elements, rather than back off from the cost Umbrella felt that this was a important feature for this set. (when you see it you will know that Umbrella was right)

And yes when you order from Umbrella they move fast to get your set out, they are a very reliable company when it comes to shipping.

Best

Chertok TV.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I think it must be remembered that MY FAVOURITE MARTIAN is being marketed by an independent DVD distributor and this is not a common domestic release in the strict sense ergo the manufacture costs will naturally be higher.

But this classic 1960s SF sitcom is a rarity and you are getting what you pay for.

Tv series like THE OUTER LIMITS, THE INVADERS and MY FAVOURITE MARTIAN were all produced by independent television companies and in many ways were superior to the output from the major studios not being bound by the same restrictive politics delimiting their creativity.

Indeed this may account for just why MARTIAN only lasted three seasons as the major companies (likely) exerted pressure on CBS to eliminate what was deemed as unfair competition.

It is a matter of documented history that Alfred Hitchcock had BORIS KARLOFF'S THRILLER yanked off the airwaves for this very reason despite the fact that THRILLER had solid audience ratings.

Are there any plans to release the first (1963-64) and second (1965-65) seasons of MY FAVOURITE MARTIAN?

Frankly RHINO did a lousy job on both especially with the second season release which had a number of time compressed episodes in the batch.

Jeff T.

Chertok Television.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Licencing Department
Greetings again,

The reason that "My Favorite Martian" went off the air is somewhat clear, CBS cancelled it and then turned on a dime and asked for it back.

The company by then had pulled the sets apart, and it would have been a major operation to restart the show.

Also many of the crew had gone on to other shows at that point, and frankly I think Mr Chertok was tired of the nonsense that CBS had been sending his way.

Perhaps one incident sticks in my mind while in mid flight to New York to view the pilot for the new show "Man In The Square Suit", CBS ran the show and decided without his input not to pick it up.

They cancelled his meeting while Mr Chertok was still on plane, so he lands and gets back on a plane home..not the way to treat a double Oscar winner who had produced great of hit shows for over fifty years.

So having been messed around he just had had enough of CBS, not long after he retired from the biz.. to enjoy the rest of his life with his family.

Now let me tell you some great news the Umbrella company will be releasing seasons one and two of the show..and they will be far above the previous editions.

So you may want to replace the simple releases with the Rolls Royce versions produced with attention to detail by Umbrella..

One thing I might add the season three is selling out in many stores in Australia...

..so if you have not ordered it yet for xmas.. I would do it now before this first edition of season three is gone.

Best to all Martian fans.

Jack Chertok TV.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Well, I have put my money where my mouth is and ordered the MY FAVOURITE MARTIAN - THE THIRD SERIES (COLOUR) 6-disc set and I am now waiting confirmation of its shipment.

So much for the skeptics who feel that MY FAVOURITE MARTIAN had run out of steam after its third year!

It is a matter of fact that MARTIAN innovatively began colour production a good year before the other similar fantasy-premised tv sitcom clones.

On one point I have had some disagreement with a MY FAVOURITE MARTIAN authority (of considerable repute) is the introduction of Martin's nephew Andromeda (in the segment "When You Get Back to Mars, Are You Going to Get It!").

Had MARTIAN continued for a fourth season would this character had been retained or would the series have pursued another direction in its stories (apparently CBS Television didn't care much for the proposed inclusion of this new cast member)?

My contention is that Andromeda would have (likely) been featured for an entire season then eventually written out (with Andromeda successfully returning back to Mars). This would not have been a permanent aspect to the show.

I personally didn't mind the addition of a young boy to the cast (at least temporarily) which provided a refreshing change from the already established.

Jeff T.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
This is so interesting... I had watched a season two episode of My Favorite

Martian tonight as well as an episode of Love American Style with Bob

Cummings. I emailed a friend and talked about My Living Doll in it! Then I

come across the news of this season 3 release and also working on My Living

Doll, which I did not know was from Chertok... I had been planning on getting two compilation dvd's with 7 third season episodes on it, but I immediately ordered this release! Thanks for all the work on these releases. It's truly a treat for me that I have readily accepted. (That is something for me to say.)

Also a fan of Invaders, which has been mentioned here.

Thanks!!!

Chertok Television.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Licencing Department
First,

Let me say to all of you who have ordered the new set..thank you so much for your support of "Martian".

I hope you enjoy all the new extras we found for you..and all the new extras that you will be seeing on the next two Umbrella sets.

The Nephew Andromeda was signed for a full year, and stories were in the works at the time the show was cancelled.

when you get your third season sets, Wayne Stam discusses this in his filmed extra... a story dynamic was being planned at that time.

Alot of new information on the possible new direction the show was going to take, great stuff if you love television history..I love it myself.

The other news is the final release date for the soundtrack album Dec 5, 2007

Best again

Chertok television.

Chertok Television.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Licencing Department
Hello everyone,

This is a note on a totally different subject, our show "My Living Doll" has been a personal mission of mine since I joined Chertok.

Restoring and giving back the show to all of you has been job number one, if you know anyone who has a 16mm film print or any film element have them contact me at this site.

Although we have quite a few of these shows I still would like to fill out the entire set for all of you.

Ask around the more voices out there the better..be a part of the return of this great old show...we need your help!!

Thanks for being a part of the great "Doll" search.

Jack Chertok Television.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Chertok Television. said:
Hello everyone,
This is a note on a totally different subject, our show "My Living Doll" has been a personal mission of mine since I joined Chertok.
Jack Chertok Television.
Peter, thanks for being a part of this forum. And on yet another totally different subject, will there be any more of "The Lawless Years," especially in light of Paramount's release of "The Untouchables" ???

Chertok Television.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Licencing Department
Hello,

The Lawless Years is on the radar, but it is behind "My Living Doll" and the "Steve Donovan western Marshal" those two are up next.

And we still have alot of work for the new material to add to the upcoming "My Favorite Martian" DVD releases with Umbrella.

No project will be anything less than the recent Umbrella season three set, once you set the bar that high you can not let down the fans again.

The whole new "Chertok" position is reward you... our loyal fans and provide more value to each of our new products.

Hence more time and money will be spent on top notch extras and collectors packaging.

thanks for the great question.

Chertok TV.

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
And we still have alot of work for the new material to add to the upcoming "My Favorite Martian" DVD releases with Umbrella.
No project will be anything less than the recent Umbrella season three set, once you set the bar that high you can not let down the fans again.
The whole new "Chertok" position is reward you... our loyal fans and provide more value to each of our new products.
Hence more time and money will be spent on top notch extras and collectors packaging.
thanks for the great question.
Chertok TV.
so sad the MFM is being released ONLY in Australia.
Unfortunetly I don't have a few hundred dollars to spend on releases that should much less regardless of the extra content!
It makes me sick knowing that I cannot have the 3rd season of MFM due to the near $70.00 pricing and the possible MFM back releases?
What a drag...
oh yea, if you really care about us fans...make a price we call can afford (and keep the releases in the USA) not only obtainable to those with tons of disposable cash.
I've been waiting for years for MLD...another I will not be purchasing!
geez, I am able to get any US released TV show for 40% or more off of list. The benefits of US releases.
I'm tired of reading the posts how we are so lucky to have all the extra's on MFM.
I have to disagree.:frowning:

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Unfortunately, I dont believe that the fan bases for some of these classic shows are large enough to make any kind of profit and give the fan what they want in a release. This kind of pricing could very well be the future for the more obscure shows if we ever have any hope of seeing them on DVD.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Doug^Ch said:
Unfortunately, I dont believe that the fan bases for some of these classic shows are large enough to make any kind of profit and give the fan what they want in a release. This kind of pricing could very well be the future for the more obscure shows if we ever have any hope of seeing them on DVD.
I have to mostly agree with you Doug, but it still seems to me that some of the U.S. independents could release MFM. I'm thinking specifically of companies like S'more Entertainment or Infinity Entertainment . . . . smaller releasing companies that have some sort of track record and don't have huge overhead like the major studios. I'm guessing that they could release a season of MFM at a suggested retail price in the range of $40 to $50 which, when the usual 30% discounts are applied, would get the series down in the $30-$35 range or, perhaps, even lower. I'm still flabbergasted that Infinity released a fairly obscure series like "Man With A Camera" (which I was able to pick up at the recent DeepDiscount sale for under $18 shipped). Surely a higher profile series like MFM would be an easier sell.
On the other hand, my limited experience with Umbrella Entertainment was very positive. I picked up the old ITC series "Man in a Suitcase" at the recommendation of fellow HTF member michael_ks, and was impressed all the way around with Umbrella's presentation and the extra features. They're really a quality company. The downside, of course, is the relatively weak US dollar against the Australian dollar right now. It was significantly better last year when I purchased MIAS shipped for just over $50!

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Bob,

I totally agree with you on the weak U.S. Dollar contributing to the cost. I was really considering ordering the region 2 sets of Bonanza from Germany, but this is simply not possible with the Euro as high as it is. Also, I never thought that I would live to see the Canadian Dollar on a par or better with the U.S. Dollar.

Doug

Chertok Television.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Licencing Department
Chas_Michael said:
so sad the MFM is being released ONLY in Australia.
Unfortunetly I don't have a few hundred dollars to spend on releases that should much less regardless of the extra content!
It makes me sick knowing that I cannot have the 3rd season of MFM due to the near $70.00 pricing and the possible MFM back releases?
What a drag...
oh yea, if you really care about us fans...make a price we call can afford (and keep the releases in the USA) not only obtainable to those with tons of disposable cash.
I've been waiting for years for MLD...another I will not be purchasing!
geez, I am able to get any US released TV show for 40% or more off of list. The benefits of US releases.
I'm tired of reading the posts how we are so lucky to have all the extra's on MFM.
I have to disagree.:frowning:
Well now,
Having read this post it's frankly a little heartbreaking,
firstly the reason behind the Umbrella release was simple.
Since Rhino was not moving on it this was the best way to get it out.
Secondly in getting it out I wanted a higher quality release.
The fact is quality cost money is a factor in this case because of Australia, they are producing for a much smaller market, the entire country has just 16 million.
So it's an extra twenty dollars, which I had hoped would be offset by the exchange rate (sorry that Washington messed that up).
If you want cookie cutter releases with the least the studios can do..then this is the kind of letter they will throw on the table.
We are producing our shows for collectors of quality work, we are not doing cardboard sleave 99 cent store releases.
I will not produce another low rent version of any of our shows, sorry that the extra twenty bucks is a factor.
In that case we are not producing these sets for you, how about you buy the other two part versions single season shows with no extras.
Those two boxed sets that add up to eighty dollars must make more sense to you than our extras packed single set for under seventy.
The Living Doll set has been three years in the making, I'm sure our core of television fans will be happy for it.
If we don't bring back our older shows now while some of our original market recalls them, then after another ten years it will be pointless.
Best
Chertok TV.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
If we don't bring back our older shows now while some of our original market recalls them, then after another ten years it will be pointless.
Best
Chertok TV.
Peter, I think you've hit the nail on the head regarding vintage series from the 1950s/1960s, and I'm glad to see that you're trying to doing something about it. While I know that it's out of the realm of Chertok TV, I wish you could work some of your magic on the Ziv Television catalog; MGM is just sitting on some bonafide classics like "Sea Hunt" and "Highway Patrol," among others.

Chertok Television.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Licencing Department
Hello,

Funny you should bring up MGM, I took a meeting with them and brought up that very thing..the ZIV titles.

The other show I went to bat on was "It's About Time" which should have an official release now.

They won't deal with those titles any time soon since they have huge transfer costs for them, I just had to transfer our unaired pilot on "Martian" and you would not beleave how much that one show cost.

These filmed older shows are very intense in terms of bringing them back up to speed.

you deal with..scratch and dirt removal, sound issues, and a whole lot more..

Best

Chertok TV.

dirtydenim

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg V
Hi

I am new here, but have been reading everything for awhile. I just got my Martian DVD in the mail yesterday....I live in Vegas. Let me tell you, this is DEFINITELY worth it! WOW! I love the hologram cover.....great!

Anyways, if Mr. Greenwood is reading this, I have a few questions:

I noticed the quality of one of the edisodes on disc 1 is a little grainy and/or maybe taken from a film reel.....while the other episodes look clear and crisp....this is not a complaint, just curious if maybe that episode wasn't obtainable in the condition the other ones were?

Also, re: the re-release of seasons 1 and 2........will season 2 have the complete episodes of the 3 episodes that were the sindicated versions on the Rhino sets? I think it said something like "after and extensive search, we could not find the source material" or something like that.

Thanks so much for season 3, it is absolutely fab!!!

Dirtydenim

PS Is My Living Doll 100% for sure coming out?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks