What's new

MY FAIR LADY 4K restoration completed! Dec. 9th release announced (Post #299) (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
GlennF said:
I'm not sure why these things are supposed to be deep dark secrets. Is it so they can sell some more of the inferior blu-rays before they announce this one? Anyway, glad to here it is being done if only so future generations don't think the film always looked the way it does on the Blu-ray. It makes me happy, although this time I will wait for a review before pre-ordering like I did last time.
I agree. Most businesses selling consumer goods, especially tech, leak stuff (specs, pictures, etc) to gin up attention, create buzz, and create anticipation. We know most of the specs for a new iPhone months before it's officially announced and bloggers and news sites post stories almost daily and these are items that are subject to industrial espionage, copyright battles, etc, but the info still gets out. But potential/upcoming BD releases are treated by insiders like nuclear launch codes.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Yes indeed, one of the greatest musicals of all time - easily tying The Sound of Music, The Wizard of Oz, Singin' In the Rain and Gigi for the top spot (all of which are currently available in pristine HD picture and sound) will finally get its due. My Fair Lady was more than a movie musical when it premiered. It was an event. To see it in anything less than ultra-pristine resolution on Blu-ray was an absolute crushing disappointment. The Reel article only mentions that My Fair Lady in 4k will be 'discussed' - which is a term of relative obscurity these days.

Are we discussing a new 4K, the old 2K, how to improve upon the old 2K, has the new 4K been done, etc. Someone mentioned there was a screening. I hope this is true. No news is good news...of a kind. But until I see, My Fair Lady in a remastered 4K print with all the bells and whistles and a few added extra bonus features (snazzy Lawrence of Arabia packaging, as in the box set would also be nice - if anyone's listening) I won't start holding my breathe just yet. One can hope and that's exactly where I'll place all of my good thoughts and wishes right now: on hope. Hope renewed and springing eternal!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
atfree said:
I agree. Most businesses selling consumer goods, especially tech, leak stuff (specs, pictures, etc) to gin up attention, create buzz, and create anticipation. We know most of the specs for a new iPhone months before it's officially announced and bloggers and news sites post stories almost daily and these are items that are subject to industrial espionage, copyright battles, etc, but the info still gets out. But potential/upcoming BD releases are treated by insiders like nuclear launch codes.
With the latest iPhone we have a release date. I am assuming MY FAIR LADY is not complete and CBS does not have a set plan on how they want to release this or any idea of a date. Waiting to announce anything will push off the question and demands to release it. I suspect that this thread will now be filled by "When am I going to get this new MY FAIR LADY?" I support the idea that little information is a good thing until a date is announced. I recall the strong questions just by Criterion giving a clue on IAMMMMW and other clues that that did not have a set date.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
ahollis said:
With the latest iPhone we have a release date. I am assuming MY FAIR LADY is not complete and CBS does not have a set plan on how they want to release this or any idea of a date. Waiting to announce anything will push off the question and demands to release it. I suspect that this thread will now be filled by "When am I going to get this new MY FAIR LADY?" I support the idea that little information is a good thing until a date is announced. I recall the strong questions just by Criterion giving a clue on IAMMMMW and other clues that that did not have a set date.
Not to disagree.....but I will. We do have a release date on the latest iPhone, but specs, features, etc were leaked far in advance of Apple announcing a formal release date. Tech sites like Cnet and others are filled with pages of leaked specs, features for everything. And it creates buzz, which creates interest and sales.

What I'm saying is that the studios and distributors keep thing so close to the vest (basically, IMO, because they don't want to be bothered) that when a release comes to fruition, there's a resounding thud in terms of general interest and sales. Oh, we get all excited on this site, but the "buzz" never gets created outside of the vacuum of the studios/distributors and their circle of insiders.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I dunno, I think we're better off not knowing, it reduces the frustrating waiting time. It could be the end of next year before it's released on Blu-ray. But the fact that it seems they've done it properly is really good news.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am kind of surprised this information got out there. However, there it is.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
And again, why the secret? They are already announcing theatrical release dates for the summer of 2016to build up anticipation - in a field where piracy has become rampant (see Expendables 3) but the restoration of a classic has to remain a secret? It just makes me happy to know that at some point there will be an improvement and that someone recognizes there is a problem with what is out there now. Now we don't have to continue complaining about it. Just wait....but I am a patient man.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
I suspect you are out of luck with the flowers since they did not exist in the Robert Harris restoration. That is why they used the stills. If they couldn't do it back then because the material was beyond repair, can't imagine it 20 years later. It would be nice though.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What's the big secret? So what if ithis info got out?

There's no answer I could provide any of you that would be accepted.

I'll just say that any studio project -- as with any company project -- should remain
shrouded in secret until that studio or company chooses to announce it. That's their
right, and I completely understand the circumstances of any company taking that stance.

Putting out early information just raises undue expectations. Take The Bowery
Boys for instance. Warner announced years ago they were planning to restore them
in high definition. When it didn't happen, fans on this forum went ballistic. Of course,
there were valid reasons for it not happening when it should --- but some people could
not accept those reasons and pointed fingers at the studio for deceiving them.

Information about MFL being newly restored only fuels fans into expecting a quick
Blu-ray release. And if those plans don't happen and/or the project is shelved for some
unexpected reason then people get angry. If it were kept a secret, then nobody would
know any better until the studio felt it was an opportune time to announce its release.

Of course, I am only skimming the surface as to why companies don't want to openly
discuss projects they are working on until they feel the time is right to do so.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Someone, anyone, please leak the secret news that Universal has been working for the last couple of years on a new blu ray of Spartacus for it's 55th anniversary next year. :D Such news would make me a very happy bunny.

I don't see the big deal about letting the cat out of the bag, those who want My Fair Lady have bought it, those who knew of it's issues rented it and have been waiting patiently for a new re-release, it should be announced, build up the hype now and reap the sales later, no way can it be worse than what's already out there so i doubt they will get disappointed consumers this time around.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
FoxyMulder said:
Someone, anyone, please leak the secret news that Universal has been working for the last couple of years on a new blu ray of Spartacus for it's 55th anniversary next year. :D Such news would make me a very happy bunny.

I don't see the big deal about letting the cat out of the bag, those who want My Fair Lady have bought it, those who knew of it's issues rented it and have been waiting patiently for a new re-release, it should be announced, build up the hype now and reap the sales later, no way can it be worse than what's already out there so i doubt they will get disappointed consumers this time around.
SHHHHH.....its a secret!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
But there hasn't been a Blu-ray announced...has there? No mention of
any planned Blu-ray release.

Only thing I read is that a 4K restoration has been completed.

I know quite a few films that have gone through a 4K restoration that
may never see the light of day on Blu-ray. Stuff that we have been
looking to see released, in fact.

So perhaps we have the whole story. Perhaps we don't.

So, yeah, what happens next could still be a secret. Maybe not.

No use of getting expectations up until the studio decides what they
want to do with their restored print.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Interesting. I can see both sides of this.

The thing I see that adds related information from a publicly posted website is that the preliminary program for 2014 also mentions a new 4K scan of Duel being screened.

Does this bode well for the new Blu-ray in the boxed set? I hope so.

Information should not be posted on a publicly found website if they do not want it to get out.

I have websites that have protected content for members-only behind a log in screen. No one else can access it.

Studios might want to request that information they want kept confidential be posted only behind a members-only section if they want it kept internal to a select group.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:
But there hasn't been a Blu-ray announced...has there? No mention of
any planned Blu-ray release.

Only thing I read is that a 4K restoration has been completed.
That's true but it would be wasteful not to release a new blu ray, maybe they want to wait and sell the old stock first, it's good news that they have restored the film and it should look superb, i wonder if this was the film Mr Harris was secretly working on.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Chuck and Mark have a valid point though...if this information has already been posted to a website which is publicly accessible via Google search, then what's so "secret" about that? I mean, if websites wish to retain propriety over W-I-P news such this, they should be subscription-based with non-disclosure syle user agreements. Otherwise, once information gets into the 'Netsphere, it's out there*.

* There is already a board for MFL 4k on one of the other Blu-ray sites.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks