What's new

MULHOLLAND DRIVE DVD (including chapter stop discussion) (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
OK...just finished watching this film....
WHAT A TOTAL MIND FUCK!
I thought I was following what was happening until the last thirty minutes, then I got lost. Will have to watch this a few more times to make sense of it.
I dont think it is supposed to make sense.
(and too bad about no chapter stops, cant quickly reference the lovely miss watts and herring in bed together:))

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the cover art guys, if only I could peel that golden banner off :D, either way I'm pretty excited about this release.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Just updating you guys on the status of my review. It's still coming along but slower then I would have hoped. The technical part of the review (the DVD comments) is done but the film review is taking longer then expected. Well actually I guess it should have been expected since I tried for weeks to review the film during it's theatrical run. I know what I want to say but it's just not coming out in words right now.

SO.. I come for advice. I could post my review of the disc on this site so you guys have something to read or you can hope and pray that my creative juices return in the morning.

On one hand I want to get this review done and posted so I can be one of the first (if not THE first) with a review on the net but on the other hand I want to do this film right because it is one of my top 3 of 2001.

Who knows. We'll see where I end up tonight as I'm going to try and do a bit more before bed. I don't forsee the entire thing taking much longer then another day or so.

Anyways, Post away!

Mark

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
So far the only thing Lynch I've ever seen is Twin Peaks and the Straight Story (which is a huge departure for him of course). Anyway my question is is there any way to skip past the "steamier" scenes without chapter stops? Like could I do a time code skip. That would be great if someone could give me the time codes to skip past those. Also, I read somewhere that the 2 main characters are topless for the last 45 minutes of the movie? Is it full-frontal nudity or neck-up nudity? Thanks for helping me see what will of course be in my top 20.

~Kevin

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
As I recall from when I saw the film last January, there are probably two (or maybe three) scenes that you're referring to. They are all in the last third of the film. Since there are no chapter stops, if you wish to skip them I would recommend simply hitting the fast-forward button for a few seconds. The first such scene is the lengthiest. Once I get the DVD in my hands I can post more precise timecodes for you.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
If you feel the strong need to skip these scenes, you probably shouldn't bother watching any Lynch films.
I respectfully disagree. Kevin probably has his own reasons for not wanting to view that material, but that doesn't mean he can't enjoy Lynch. He can still enjoy Mulholland Drive even if he skips the sex scenes, and he can watch Elephant Man, Straight Story, Eraserhead, and Dune without skipping anything at all.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The first scene is about 1:45:00 into the film(that is kinda close) That is the lengthiest scene. It has full frontal then it has topless for a minute or so.

The second is about 2:05:00 or so(this one I am not to sure where it is) It is shorter and is all topless. Then there is a scene a little after that with a through the shirt shot and hands in the pants. That is only a few minutes later.

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
Hmmm, so it's OK to skip a scene- that wouldn't effect Lynch's vision, but I'm a total churl for wanting chapter stops after I've seen the film a dozen times in its entirety and now want to watch only certain scenes. How come no one is giving this guy crap? GRRRRR!!!

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I don't think skipping scenes is going to compromise Lynch's vision or throw character development off or story structure or anything like that. I believe the way I choose to view a film is my own.

~Kevin

P.S. Thanks for the help Mark and Sean. I'll get back to you on those timecodes when the DVD comes out Mark.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I'm kind of slyly commenting on how MD (probably) doesn't have any story structure or character development.

~Kevin

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
I highly disagree that Mulholland Drive has no character development. In fact, it is somewhat of a character piece.... And it has story structure. Just a different type of story structure. However, I do somewhat agree that skipping over scenes with nudity takes away from the film. The scenes with nudity are character oriented, albeit quite steamy. To watch this movie and to skip over things that would offend you is to not have really seen the movie at all.

I also want to disagree that he will be unable to enjoy any David Lynch films. Since his main issue is with the nudity, he can happily watch The Elephant Man (which was rated PG for a reason), as well as Dune and The Straight Story (Eraserhead has slight sexual situations).

Anyway, I'm quite looking forward to this DVD.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Kevin Porter,

Mulholland Drive has a story that at first might appear impenetrable, but just give it some time after watching the film. Lynch is a director capable of telling stories that relate to us on an unconscious, emotional level. In my opinion, he's a genius, especially after MD.

As far as having to skip certain scenes, I understand there are probably some limitations in your household that would keep you from being able to view those. Personally my emotional ties to the characters were enriched in a major way by all of the scenes involving 'risque' material.

Cheers,

Joseph

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I also want to disagree that he will be unable to enjoy any David Lynch films. Since his main issue is with the nudity, he can happily watch The Elephant Man (which was rated PG for a reason), as well as Dune and The Straight Story (Eraserhead has slight sexual situations).
Obviously he can watch those films. Dune has been disowned by Lynch. Elephant Man is quite disturbing and was not a Lynch concept. Straight Story is the exception. The fact is that its the Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Wild At Heart, Fire Walk With Me, Lost Highway and MD which is at the heart of Lynch's work. There will be objectionable moment in each and every one of these films to someone that is sensitive to something like nudity. Unless the person in question is one who finds no problem with violent acts and only with nudity. To watch the three films you mentioned is not watching David Lynch.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I really think you have to include "The Straight Story" as part of "the heart" of Lynch's ouevre. It's not so straight as it seems... (IMO)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I do include all of Lynch's films. I'm not the one limiting myself to the "clean" ones here. Its taking SS, EM, and Dune and calling that watching and appreciating David Lynch that is at discussion here.

Thats like only watching Spartacus and Barry Lyndon and saying you watch Kubrick.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks