What's new

MULHOLLAND DRIVE DVD (including chapter stop discussion) (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
My copy won't arrive until Man Who Wasn't There has shipped. When it does I think I want the Rita cover! :D

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
This is going to be really fun with the "clues." That is the most Lynch has said about a film since he said Lost Highway was like a mobius strip!
As for the darkness? I remember it being very dark in the theater. In fact, Lost Highway is incredibly dark in the first third.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I can't wait to get this disc! I'm very pleased that it has a dts track. Has anyone listened to the dts track yet?

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
The clues are utter nonsense - they won't help at all. I'm certain there's no real way to figure out the mystery - Lynch likes to throw things into the mix to deliberately contradict things we already know or think we know.

Watch it as a dream, not as a jigsaw puzzle with half of the pieces missing.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I tend to agree with Jon. This is not a puzzle-piece like Memento (or, say, Donnie Darko), but rather follows Lynch's brand of "dream logic".
That being said, there's a very definite narrative here, though it's open-ended enough to allow for a variety of interpretations around the margins. I mean, there's the basic revelation in terms of plot, but meaning is a tad more elusive.
Of course, this hasn't prevented people from trying to establish a Theory of Everything for "Mulholland Drive"! The best one I've read is here: http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feat...rive_analysis/

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I will purchase this at a B&M, just so I can (hopefully) get the Betty cover.

Too true, MD follows 'dream logic,' I think that by posting the 10 clues, Lynch is just having fun with the concept, he's not trying to help us 'figure it out.' I don't remember half of the specifics that they point out; it will be interesting to watch it again.

How is everybody getting this DVD so early? I have to wait until next week!

Joseph

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well, I do believe in a base narrative that is "real" which is scattered in the film, primarily at the end, with the rest being
Diane's death dream as many people speculated when it first came out. Diane has her Camilla killed out of jealousy when she gets with the director, the killer leaves a blue key to indicate he's done the job, Diane can't live with herself and shoots herself.
The rest is her dreaming about all of this just before she dies. She swaps characters and rearranges situations so they are better for her. Like swapping places with the waitress, or making Camilla need her/love her, making herself the star actress who is going to make it, putting a mysterious power behind Camilla's success to discredit it, and I even think some of the stuff in her dreams is linked to her mind's effort to tie-in the real things her body is feeling as dying.
For example the "shut it down" scene I think refers more to Diane's own dying body and her mind's need to place that feeling into some sort of context, creating images/characters to represent it. Like the old man in the box, really some inner part of her mind I think.
I also think the old man behind the Winkies is death or the presence of oncoming death.

YMMV big time on these interpretations. :D

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
obviously the clues won't help figure ot the film. but i'm sure they have some significance and are not "utter nonsense."

and has anyone "figured out" Lost Highway? Nope.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
MD was one of my favorite films of last year. It does a great job delving into that magical state of dreamland where you can be whoever you want to be (lucid dreaming helps in this department).

When asked if this DVD should be a rental or buy, I always say "buy".

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Can someone post the Rita cover? Curious to know what it looks like.
Marc,
Here you go.
ritacover.jpg

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Thanks Mark
Your welcome.. Now if you guys stop asking questions and posting replies to this thread then I could focus on the review. Every few minutes my email alert chirps and I find myself pulled back to this thread :)
Just kidding. The review is coming along. Hopefully it'll be done for the morning. Nothing like waking up on a Friday morning to find a cool new review :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks