What's new

MULHOLLAND DRIVE DVD (including chapter stop discussion) (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Ive been looking as well as were only 3 weeks from release. I havent seen anything yet either.

Lawrence Davis

Stunt Coordinator
Hi patrick,
I have also been scanning sites for reviews. I haven't found any yet. But when they are posted, these two David Lynch oriented websites will probably alert us ASAP:
Link Removed Topcities pulled the website for some reason. It can now be found here: http://www.lynchnet.com/ They have a nice Oscar write up and some pics of Laura and Naomi.
http://www.dugpa.com/
This is my most anticipated release of the year. I will drop a note here if I see any reviews...

Lawrence Davis

Stunt Coordinator
Well, here it is April 1st and still no reviews. That seems a little odd, doesn't it? Hopefully I'll receive my copy on Monday.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I tried to have Universal send me an

early copy for review.

Normally this would be no problem, but

Universal is going under a bit of an overhaul

when it comes to how they are going to distribute

early screener product. This has put them on

backlog as far as getting review copies out.

For that reason, any reviews of this title

will be done through purchased copies.

I will not be reviewing this title for the

forum as I generally only do reviews of screeners

since I have an obligation to the studio to

review those first.

Looking forward to seeing the movie, however.

Doug D

Stunt Coordinator
Tim Lucas of Video Watchdog posted a brief note in the General Discussion forum at www.mhvf.net a couple of days ago about it.
No chapter stops. Cancel your preorders now.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Thanks for the information Ron.
I knew something had to be up at Universal since up until recently one could always count on reviews nice and early.
That said. I'm glad my preordered copy from Amazon has shipped and that TVA will be sending out screeners of the Canadian edition. Hopefully one or both will arrive this week and I can post a review :)
Once again. Thanks for the information
Mark

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Looking forward to seeing the movie, however.
It's quite a ride, Ron. Be prepared. I saw it in January and I'm eagerly awaiting the DVD. For all those who will be watching it for the first time when it arrives next week, may I offer the following suggestions:
1. If at all possible, avoid any and all discussion about plot before you have the chance to see the movie yourself.
2. Try to watch the movie all in one sitting if you can. Whatever you do, don't stop the movie during the last 45 minutes.
3. When you're watching the movie, try not to over-analyze too much during the first viewing. If you do you won't enjoy the "Lynchian" aspects of the film as much.
4. Once you've viewed Mulholland Drive, if you're initially perplexed then I think some of the online analysis will help you out. Here's a good starter: http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/2001/10/23/mulholland_drive_analysis/

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
No chapter stops. Cancel your preorders now.
Why? This should be no surprise as several Lynch titles don't have chapter stops based on Lynch's request that a film be seen as a continuum, not segmented to be skipped around during viewing.

The Straight Story and Elephant Man have no chapter stops, and Twin Peaks: FWWM doesn't have chapters in the menu, but if you use the skip button on the remote, you will notice that New Line didn't exactly follow Lynch's direction and segmented the film anyway.

Felix Martinez

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
No chapter stops. Cancel your preorders now
Not a chance of me doing that. I'm desperate to see this film again. Lynch has stated many times that he's not a fan of chapter stops. This is how he wants his film presented on dvd - without breaks, just as it was shown in the theatre.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
No chapter stops. Cancel your preorders now
That isn't as upsetting as disgusting and innapropriate Peter Travers 'whore's lip gloss' quote given prominence on the cover. Now that is a travesty. I mean, it's a stylish, sexy, even arguably sleazy film, but c'mon!
:D
Joseph

Doug D

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, everybody, I was being sarcastic. I could care less about chapter stops, but their appearance or lack thereof seem to inspire rabid passion in people.

Next time, I'll use sarcasm tags.

I'm more bummed about Universal's SRP of $32.95 for a bare-bones disc. It's the only reason I might not buy it right away - I get the impression that this pricing is a trial balloon, and I don't want that balloon to float.

Lawrence Davis

Stunt Coordinator
If I had to, I would pay the full MSRP to obtain the DVD. I bought a multiregion DVD player just to play my Japanese Lost Highway DVD. Lynch is a special case for me (and I know for some of you). If this was any other director, I would not be willing to pay the extra money to obtain a bare bones release. At least with Lynch, we know that he is not a big fan of supplements, so this is likely as good as it's going to get for a while.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
That isn't as upsetting as disgusting and innapropriate Peter Travers 'whore's lip gloss' quote given prominence on the cover. Now that is a travesty. I mean, it's a stylish, sexy, even arguably sleazy film, but c'mon!
I always get a good laugh when I read that. :D What was it again...
"For visionary daring, swooning eroticism and colors that pop like a whore's lip gloss, there's nothing like this baby anywhere... It grips you like a dream that won't let go."

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
I don't care if Lynch likes chapter stops or not- he's not the one buying the damn disc, I am! I want chapter stops!! Part of the reason I buy certain films is for reference. I don't always have time to sit through the whole movie. Sometimes I just want to watch certain parts and hate having to scan through the film to find what I want. I could see it with The Elephant Man- that's more of a traditional narrative- but with his "puzzle box" films like Mulholland Drive or Lost Highway you want to skip around, if nothing else then just to figure it out. Hopefully Universal will defy him for Lost Highway. It's not like he's contributing anything to the video releases anyway so why appease him?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks