What's new

More re-makes in the works (1 Viewer)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
"The Hitcher" remake is set for April 13th 2007. With Sean Bean as the hitchhiker, it actually might not be too bad. I've actually enjoyed the Platinum Dunes remakes so far... much better than what other studio remakes have turned out.

The Wicker Man - 9/1/06 [The Wicker Man (1973)]
Black Christmas - 12/25/06 [Black Christmas (1974)]
The Visiting - 01/26/07 [Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)]
The Hitcher - 4/13/07 [The Hitcher (1986)]
Rob Zombie's Halloween - 10/07 [Halloween (1978)]
Day of the Dead - 2007 [Day of the Dead (1985)]
Prom Night - 2007 [Prom Night (1980)]

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Logan's Run could be interesting if done well but won't the young'uns think, "HEY! That's like The Island!"

:) Actually in the book they only go to 21 and not 30, (ouch!) and Francis winds up being the Old Man, I think.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Sorry to chime in on an issue that's several months old, but The Amityville Horror remake was actually the last straw for me.

I read Jay Anson's book as a little kid and it freaked me the hell out. I always thought the 1979 film was mediocre and unintentionally hilarious so growing up, I always hoped to see a more faithful adaptation of Anson's book, or at the very least, make an Amityville film that's actually scary.

My problem with Michael Bay's remake isn't that it was made, but that it was a terrible film. It had even less to do with Anson's book than the original film did! At 89 minutes it was laughably underdeveloped, featured very little character depth and actually ripped off other horror films instead of taking some of the scarier elements from the book and running with them.

I didn't appreciate the ridiculous Shining-style climax (Reynolds went off the deep end faster than Nicholson!), the sinister man in black stolen from Poltergeist II or the fact that Jody was changed from a pig to a scary little girl. Why? Because a bunch of other horror films also featured scary kids, so of course they tried it here too. Shameful.

This was absolute garbage in my opinion (as have most recent remakes been) and cemented the fact that I won't pay to see another remake until this trend dies the horrible death that it so deserves.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

It was only a matter of time:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23540

As for waiting for the end of remakes, it isn't going to happen. Hollywood has recycled their product for years. Hell, some of the definitive versions of films that we treat as classics were remakes of earlier films.

What we really should rail against are remakes which are made just because they are there to be remade. That's where a lot of bad remakes come down the pike.

Jason

MattFini

Supporting Actor
In the past, I wouldn't have minded paying to see the occasional remake. For example, I was eagerly anticipating John Carpenter's Village of the Damned and had no qualms about supporting it in theatres.

I won't pay to see anything in this recent epidemic though because it just means that I'm voting to have Hollywood dredge up even more titles that don't need updating.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
or a paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFini
I won't pay to see another remake until this trend dies the horrible death that it so deserves.

Originally Posted by Jason Seaver
I think there's a contradiction here.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Hollywood as most defiantly lost the plot!?

A new bread of mavericks is in order hear to write some new screenplays and not some burnt out screenwriter with less imagination, that is on par with a snails thinking power, what utter bloody laziness these toe rags are, is this the best they can come up with.

This whole thing is really about two things, CGI and Dolby Digital how bloody loud can we make it.

If it’s over top with CGI it’s loud!

If it’s over top with Dolby Digital it’s deafeningly loud!

Hollywood time to get your act together as most of these remakes stink!

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Platinum Dunes announced remakes of "Near Dark", "The Changeling" and "The Birds" as their next projects.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/7378

Black Christmas - 12/25/06 [Black Christmas (1974)]
The Hitcher - 4/13/07 [The Hitcher (1986)]
The Invasion - 8/17/07 [Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)]
Halloween - 10/19/07 [Halloween (1978)]
Day of the Dead - 2007 [Day of the Dead (1985)]
Friday the 13th - 2007 [Friday the 13th (1980)]
Prom Night - 2007 [Prom Night (1980)]
Revenge of the Nerds - 2007 [Revenge of the Nerds (1984)]
The Wolf Man - 2008 [The Wolf Man (1941)]

Adventures in Babysitting - TBA [Adventures in Babysitting (1987)]
The Birds - TBA [The Birds (1963)]
The Blob - TBA [The Blob (1958)]
The Changeling - TBA [The Changeling (1980)]
Creature from the Black Lagoon - TBA [Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)]
Creepshow - TBA [Creepshow (1982)]
Day of the Dead - TBA [Day of the Dead (1985)]
Death Race 3000 - TBA [Death Race 2000 (1975)]
The Fly - TBA [The Fly (1958)]
The Incredible Shrinking Man - TBA [The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)]
Near Dark - TBA [Near Dark (1987)
Oh, God! - TBA [Oh, God! (1977)]
Pet Sematary - TBA [Pet Sematary (1989)]
Phantasm - TBA [Phantasm (1979)]
Piranha - TBA [Piranha (1978)]
Porky's - TBA [Porky's (1982)]
Swiss Family Robinson - TBA [Swiss Family Robinson (1960)]
The Warriors - TBA [The Warriors (1979)]
When Worlds Collide - TBA [When Worlds Collide (1951)]
The Wild Bunch - TBA [The Wild Bunch (1969)]

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Swiss Family Robinson could actually be done a lot better than the charming and silly Disney version (which I love as a relic of childhood)

LizH

Second Unit
For some reason, I'm picturing a SFR remake as a cross between "Cast Away" and "Lost."

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt

I could see remaking both of these, especially Swiss Family. If updated Porky's has the right direction/people, it could be classic.

LizH

Second Unit

I think it could work ... but they're going to have to snark it up a bit for modern tastes.

Chris Rock, anyone?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Black Christmas - 2007 [Black Christmas (1974)]"

I read the other day Michelle Trachtenberg will be in this.Itll prob be PG13 :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks