What's new

MGM Press Release: BOND 50 (Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I have gone thri "Book 2" and now staring "Book 1" in order- I have finished Dr- No and the extras and am going serially thru Book 1. At some point and I will compare the extras on the Bond 50 set with the Bond DVDs . I have- mostly 1 dvd-- I have 4 double DVDs "Ultimate Edition" and special Edition of "Die Another Day"

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I have the Never Say Never Again Blu-ray and, despite the many shortcomings of the film itself, cherish it for the honesty of the supplements. Director Irvin Kershner was pretty forthright in discussing the production problems and the shortcomings of the final film. Compare this to the EON films which are (for me) unwatchably bland and shy away from any real controversy. The old Criterion laserdiscs of Dr. No, From Russia With Love and Goldfinger were one of the only times the filmmakers were able to speak openly about the films before EON demanded they be cancelled.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill
The UK is getting a region-free NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN in April, but it will be missing the horse fall scene, which was cut for that country.
This might not be answered untill after the move but I looked at my old DVD of NEVER

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I did get the region free BR from England and the horse jump in NOT cut! Perhaps the actual fall was not with a real horse??? It does show the horse hitting the water. I have both the DVD bought in Germany and the BR version bought from Amazon-UK and the pictures are the same.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I received Skyfall for birthday and having watched it I can now say what I've said before regarding the reboot of Bond: Nope, the new concept doesn't work. Skyfall is a good action flick, but it's not a Bond film. Except for the DB5 sequence late in the film, there's no fun at all in it (and note that the iconic car was completely destroyed, making emphatic that the past is discarded).

As for Daniel Craig, talk about dour! He makes Timothy Dalton look like Roger Moore, and the new look Bond makes License to Kill look like Moonraker.

Feh!

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Did anyone who owns the US Bond 50th set have any playback issues with any of the discs...I had a weird experience with mine. One of the Bond discs I think the last of the Roger Moore ones said I needed a firmware upgrade in order to play it, which I did - then from that movie on to the Brosnon era it seems like after 90 minutes or so the movies audio craps out , and things start to move slowly or choppy...
This I think is a player issue but was wondering if anyone else had any issues ....

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
David Steigman said:
Did anyone who owns the US Bond 50th set have any playback issues with any of the discs...I had a weird experience with mine. One of the Bond discs I think the last of the Roger Moore ones said I needed a firmware upgrade in order to play it, which I did - then from that movie on to the Brosnon era it seems like after 90 minutes or so the movies audio craps out , and things start to move slowly or choppy...
This I think is a player issue but was wondering if anyone else had any issues ....
I reviewed A View to a Kill (the last Moore Bond) in my review of the set and had no problems with it. I used the Panasonic 310 Blu-ray player for the review.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
David Steigman said:
Did anyone who owns the US Bond 50th set have any playback issues with any of the discs..
No problems with any discs in the US edition, although I have not made it through all the bonus material. I did, however, watch all the films.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
What happens is the audio drops out goes mute...it lasts for a few seconds, but if it goes longer the characters move funky...then the sound comes back, and then it craps out again...After the audio goes mute the first time it keeps going on and off until the movie ends.
This is a player issue (Samsung BD5300) and they have no answers for it.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
After all of these months, I need to ask a silly question -- silly, because it's probably been addressed many times over in this or some other Bond 50 thread, but I can't face the prospect of searching for it. Maybe it's a simple yes/no answer, or perhaps someone can point to where I can find the details:

What, if anything, was dropped from the Ultimate Bond DVD sets?

I can't imagine returning to watching any of the films on DVD (unlike with a few films in the Hitchcock set). But I've stubbornly held on to my copies, and after all of this time, I no longer remember if there was a specific reason for doing so, other than the sentimental factor of not being willing to let go of such a beautifully produced set so easily. But time marches on, and one must ask whether something "obsolete" is worth the shelf space -- so I'm wondering now if I can suck it up and let them go.

After some consideration, I did exactly that with the Twilight Zone sets, even though a number of little things got dropped in the move to Blu-ray. In that case, I did the homework and found the Blu's contents entirely satisfactory, so I bought the standalone copy of the missing Serling documentary, let it all go, and never looked back.

Is there any similar issue here? I don't hesitate to keep more than one release of something when warranted. But now I just don't remember if anyone had made a case for something or other actually being better or more complete in the Ultimate sets, which are the only Bond DVDs I have. Thanks!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
In the review of the BOND 50 box, I detailed in the bonus features what exactly was included on the enclosed discs with the previously unreleased on Blu-ray 9 Bonds (Reviews by other staff members will do similarly with the other already released discs). With the Ultimate Editions by your side, you can do a comparison and see what was there and not there. As I recall (and this was back in September of last year), most everything was ported over apart from some picture galleries, but you can do a more thorough comparison if you want to take a little time.I know for myself, I've given all of my Ultimate Editions away and have only the Blus now.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I should have gone to the reviews! Thanks, Matt. I'll check those, but it sounds like I will be making that same decision.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Matt Hough said:
In the review of the BOND 50 box, I detailed in the bonus features what exactly was included on the enclosed discs with the previously unreleased on Blu-ray 9 Bonds (Reviews by other staff members will do similarly with the other already released discs). With the Ultimate Editions by your side, you can do a comparison and see what was there and not there. As I recall (and this was back in September of last year), most everything was ported over apart from some picture galleries, but you can do a more thorough comparison if you want to take a little time.I know for myself, I've given all of my Ultimate Editions away and have only the Blus now.
I sold my UE DVD box sets as well. I thought of hanging on to them, but the blu ray set has everything that was included on those. In addition, some of the UE DVD's dropped the original audio mixes due to capacity. So again, the blu ray sets have all of the original audio mixes plus the new DTS HD MA mixes.

I am really enjoying the set overall too.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Generally speaking, I would wait (perhaps 6 months) before selling one's older DVDs.

I believe most of the USA Bonds as opposed to the Amazon-UK have the originally audio which is not the case with the UK versions.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Sumnernor said:
Generally speaking, I would wait (perhaps 6 months) before selling one's older DVDs.

I believe most of the USA Bonds as opposed to the Amazon-UK have the originally audio which is not the case with the UK versions.
For the audio are you referring to the blu ray set? I believe I recall reading that the UK Bond 50 set had dropped the original audio mixes as well.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Osato said:
For the audio are you referring to the blu ray set? I believe I recall reading that the UK Bond 50 set had dropped the original audio mixes as well.
I look forward to the 60th anniversary ( or 55th ) and 4K editions done right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks