What's new

Lord of the Rings: The Stage Version - On its way! (1 Viewer)

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
Scene: Council of Elrond
Apologies to: Rogers and Hammerstein and nuns everywhere

How do you solve
A problem like the One Ring?
Some say to wield
And some to cast it down.
How do you find
A word to call the One Ring?
It’s Isildur’s Bane?
Or something to bring
renown!?

Many a one you know
Would like to use it.
Many an army
At your own command --
But how can we stand this day
And choose not to throw away?
How do we give this task
To Gandalf’s band?
Oh, how do you solve
A problem like the One Ring?

(dramatic pause)

How do you keep
The ring off Sauron’s hand?

Thank you, thank you, I'm here every Thursday... ;)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
It strikes me as very good musical material. As I doubt the show will get within a thousand miles of me (unless it comes to Chicago, that is), I hope it gets a DVD release.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Actually, has anyone heard the symphony "Lord of the Rings" by Johan De Meij? I think that's who wrote it. It's for a wind orchestra, so no strings, but I played it in high school and have a recording of it from Amsterdam (though I've seen a new recording in Barnes & Noble and elsewhere before).

I LOVE that symphony and it was part of the reason why it took me a long time to grasp onto the score of the movies because I'd associated so much imagery of the story with the themes in that symphony.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
This could turn out really bad if they make Sam a retard like in the cartoon version of LOTR.

PatrickL

Deceased Member
OMG this thread is hilarious!

Just so y'all know, this project has been stewing for at least 5 years, and what was described to me about the concept years ago was more high tech special effects "experience" than typical Broadway/West End musical. More Las Vegas and theme park, if you will, than you guys are imagining it.

That report in the Standard isn't clear if the concept has been radically rethought and if this is now planned for an existing theater, but when I first heard about it the idea was to house this in a huge tent and to build a massive forest set with many expensive special effects (like a volcano) inside. I have a feeling that might still be the plan and what they think is going to be "landmark" about this.

It smells to me like a huge tourist trap in the making.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks