What's new

Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Vol. 3? (1 Viewer)

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
What I'm advocating for is a change to the perceived hubris (and I understand what you're talking about). Due to their prominent place as Warner's flagship property and to their large, relatively unsalable catalog, the Looney Tunes deserve alternate considerations. They deserve to be an exception to the rule, be they decisions based on economics or corporate culture.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Well, that's true of all the great film making languishing in studio vaults because releasing them would "cost too much". The solution to that is to reduce the cost of producing the sets and to maximize the potential customer base. Perhaps eventually streaming services will provide that. Warner Archive Streaming is the best thing I've seen for classic movies in a long time.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I completely agree about the potential for streaming services. A lot of material, especially Warner Archive titles, are not of the type I personally care to own and, to that end, I'd love to dive into their streaming service one day to check out movies I wouldn't see otherwise.

But serious Looney Tunes fans are among those who want discs, which will certainly continue to make up a considerable segment of the movie-buying public for the foreseeable future. Attempting what I suggest would be precisely how you "reduce the cost of producing the sets" and "maximize the potential customer base" while addressing the reality that retail isn't an option but discs and restoration remain necessary (which I would think is non-negotiable for most collectors). Having properly-prepared films is what collectors would look for if all the films are released, and it is an effort that will pay off in perpetuity for all other platforms, including streaming.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
Much of the problem is that the studios don't take cartoons seriously. Look at what's coming out on DVD, live-action-wise; Batman, the Wonder Years, Death Valley Days. Do the studios expect to make mints on those relative to the substanial costs putting those sets together.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Mints? Probably not. Catalog material never does as well as more contemporary fare. I don't know what costs are involved in doing these TimeLife-type sets, but it's certain there is profit to be made or they otherwise wouldn't continue. To whatever degree, it obviously works under the right circumstances.

As for the Looney Tunes, I can think of several advantages to doing the whole series at this point (including some distinct from the other shows mentioned):

1. A huge chunk of the catalog has already been fully restored digitally (via the Golden Collections, Super Stars and Platinums).
2. Many of the remaining films are black and white, which are significantly cheaper to restore.
3. Selling directly to collectors avoids the middle man (who doesn't move Looney Tunes DVDs anyway).
4. Reduced pricing, which Item 1 might allow, should entice collectors reluctant to double dip the Golden Collections.
5. If bigshot is right and transfers are happening in-house, much of that part of the job should or may already be done.
6. Finally finishing the catalog allows all the films to be used on other platforms.
7. Finally finishing the catalog satisfies asset management (presumably).

Granted some things are speculation, but not doing them similar to this likely means they are released someday on unrestored Archive DVD-Rs with underwhelming attention from fans, or they remain unreleased entirely.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Traveling Matt said:
Mints? Probably not. Catalog material never does as well as more contemporary fare. I don't know what costs are involved in doing these TimeLife-type sets, but it's certain there is profit to be made or they otherwise wouldn't continue. To whatever degree, it obviously works under the right circumstances.
Time Life usually chooses material that hash't been released in a long while. Often not since the VHS era. They would want collectors to subscribe for the whole series. The DVD boxes Warner Bros released and still sells would punch a big hole in the middle of their market, especially since Warner cherry picked the titles most people would want.

Warner Archive is a better bet, but they don't generally do restoration. Just new transfers.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Jerry Beck returned to Stu's Show last night, where he confirmed Looney Tunes Platinum 3 will indeed be the last volume of the series.

Also, someone apparently asked if Warner would sublicense the cartoons to Shout, which Beck said isn't going to happen. So it unfortunately sounds like all DVD efforts have to come from them directly for whatever reason.

It also sounds like he's trying to work with George Feltenstein and the Archive program on future projects (content unknown).

More DVD news gathered from the show can be found here: http://www.intanibase.com/forum/index.php?topic=1798.0

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
For Platinum Collection Vol. 3, WHV please include Unruly Hare (1945). It's one of my favorite Bugs Bunny cartoons and it has never been released on any of the prior collections. As for Stu's Show, according to the link posted, "The big news!: Jerry is talking with a sub-licensor regarding on classic animation and it's getting serious! Way beyond what he's telling us "Things are happening, wheels are turning."" The odd aspect about this is that elsewhere he says that Warner is not going to sublicense. So what is he talking about? Assuming Disney is not going to sublicense either, my best guess is that the sublicense would be about Terrytoons, which have been sitting in the Paramount library. Of those, what I really want are quality Mighty Mouse and Deputy Dawg. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Traveling Matt said:
Jerry Beck returned to Stu's Show last night, where he confirmed Looney Tunes Platinum 3 will indeed be the last volume of the series.
Warner Brothers should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. After all these years promising that they are dedicated to their classic animation and asking us to support it, they bail.

Another reason why I'm rarely buying Warner product anymore. There are other distributes who actually care about film, not shareholders.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I second your affection for The Unruly Hare, Ray. It's also one of my favorite Bugs Bunny films, with a frenetic pace wonderfully different from Jones, Freleng, et al, and a run of borderline torturous gags and teasing directed at Elmer Fudd by the wabbit. It makes one wonder what Frank Tashlin would have done at the helm of more Bugs cartoons.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Shame, but pretty much expected after it missed the the Fall 2013 traditional release date.

WB has has history of never sublicensing except under extremely rare exceptional circumstances. Same with Disney. It's just part of their corporate culture. Surprised that was even brought up because there was never a hint it was going to happen especially on a significant scale.

When an archive release happens, it will most likely be MGM (minus Tom & Jerry)
JoeDoakes said:
For Platinum Collection Vol. 3, WHV please include Unruly Hare (1945). It's one of my favorite Bugs Bunny cartoons and it has never been released on any of the prior collections. As for Stu's Show, according to the link posted, "The big news!: Jerry is talking with a sub-licensor regarding on classic animation and it's getting serious! Way beyond what he's telling us "Things are happening, wheels are turning."" The odd aspect about this is that elsewhere he says that Warner is not going to sublicense. So what is he talking about? Assuming Disney is not going to sublicense either, my best guess is that the sublicense would be about Terrytoons, which have been sitting in the Paramount library. Of those, what I really want are quality Mighty Mouse and Deputy Dawg. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Well, it's definitely not anything WB owns that's for certain, and Disney equally has a snowball's chance in Hell of licensing to anyone else.

So it's either a Terrytoons property (namely Mighty Mouse or Heckle & Jeckle), a Walter Lantz cartoon property, a Paramount cartoon property (of what little they still have license to), or an old Columbia cartoon property (Fox & Crow?). Maybe more Puppetoons?

I wouldn't put much stock into that just yet. The plan could easily fall through, but hopefully not.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
So it's either a Terrytoons property (namely Mighty Mouse or Heckle & Jeckle), a Walter Lantz cartoon property, a Paramount cartoon property (of what little they still have license to), or an old Columbia cartoon property (Fox & Crow?). Maybe more Puppetoons?

I wouldn't put much stock into that just yet. The plan could easily fall through, but hopefully not.
I'm really hoping it's Paramount. Most of the really good Lantz cartoons have been released on the two Woody Woodpecker collections, and most of the remaining Columbia cartoons are pretty crummy.

There's a sizable amount of Fleischer material Paramount still has (including all the Betty Boop cartoons Olive Films isn't touching). That would warrant a release more than the others.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
bigshot said:
I'm sure the studio is engaged in a systematic sweep through doing hidef transfers of their libraries. Just start a steady stream of quick and dirty releases and continue until your library is all digitized. Then create a subscription or advertising based streaming service with an ocean of content. Don't spend a lot on restoration or extras. Just transfer films. Plenty of time to do digital restoration later if you want.
They will make a DigitalHD ultraviolet purchase to own before another streaming rental service. More money is made purchase vs renting and Warner knows that.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
More Tex Avery!!! I would personally request OF FOX AND HOUNDS (1940), which has never been released to video except on a Tex Avery laser disc set.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
wN2d1aG.jpg
Episodes:

Disc 1
Hiawatha's Rabbit Hunt
Corny Concerto, A
Falling Hare
Little Red Riding Rabbit
Hair-Raising Hare
Acrobatty Bunny
Big Snooze, The
Hare Grows in Manhattan, A
Easter Yeggs
Slick Hare
Gorilla My Dreams
High Diving Hare
Hillbilly Hare
Bunny Hugged
Operation: Rabbit
Bully for Bugs
Bugs and Thugs
Knighty Knight Bugs
Honey's Money
Hep Cat, The
Pigs in a Polka
Ham in a Role
Dog Gone South
Bear for Punishment, A
Steal Wool

Disc 2
Porky Pig's Feat
Scrap Happy Daffy
Plane Daffy
Stupid Cupid, The
Draftee Daffy
Nasty Quacks
Stupor Salesman, The
Wholly Smoke
Swooner Crooner
Life with Feathers
Canary Row
Tree for Two
Sandy Claws
Dog Pounded
Satan's Waitin'
Birds Anonymous
Mouse and Garden
Pied Piper of Guadalupe, The
Gruesome Twosome, A
Guided Muscle
Beep Prepared
Walky Talky Hawky
Rhapsody in Rivets
High Note
Nelly's Folly

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
EddieLarkin said:
wN2d1aG.jpg
Episodes:

Disc 1
Hiawatha's Rabbit Hunt
Corny Concerto, A
Falling Hare
Little Red Riding Rabbit
Hair-Raising Hare
Acrobatty Bunny
Big Snooze, The
Hare Grows in Manhattan, A
Easter Yeggs
Slick Hare
Gorilla My Dreams
High Diving Hare
Hillbilly Hare
Bunny Hugged
Operation: Rabbit
Bully for Bugs
Bugs and Thugs
Knighty Knight Bugs
Honey's Money
Hep Cat, The
Pigs in a Polka
Ham in a Role
Dog Gone South
Bear for Punishment, A
Steal Wool

Disc 2
Porky Pig's Feat
Scrap Happy Daffy
Plane Daffy
Stupid Cupid, The
Draftee Daffy
Nasty Quacks
Stupor Salesman, The
Wholly Smoke
Swooner Crooner
Life with Feathers
Canary Row
Tree for Two
Sandy Claws
Dog Pounded
Satan's Waitin'
Birds Anonymous
Mouse and Garden
Pied Piper of Guadalupe, The
Gruesome Twosome, A
Guided Muscle
Beep Prepared
Walky Talky Hawky
Rhapsody in Rivets
High Note
Nelly's Folly
Any word on when this sucker's coming?!? :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks