What's new

Let the buying begin... 2011 B&N Criterion sale (50% off) begins Tuesday, July 12 (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
New online coupon code for members: 20% off one item L3C9C3K expires 2.59am edt 7/26/2011 which should be barely useful for next Tuesday's releases -- this week the discs became available for order and coupons a little after 12:30EDT. Most of the usual Criterions should now be $16+tax There's also an in-store member 20% off coupon which should stack with the normal 10% member discount Expires 7/25/2011 so it isn't going to help for next Tuesday's releases (a copy can be googled and is available on another forum where DVD TALK often goes on) -- usual Discs now 14.40+ tax New online code for 10% OFF entire order R8R8E3Y -- expires 8/2 I think

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
I got my copy of Kiss Me Deadly today (fast shipping...ordered on the 17th, and arrived this afternoon :D). I may order another title or two before the end of the sale.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
went a little crazy, and just about doubled what I budgeted for the sale, oh well. on bluray: Kiss Me Deadly Zazie Dans le Metro Great Dictator Solaris Diabolique People on Sunday BBS Set Smiles of a Summer Night Le Cercle Rouge Cronos Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas By Brakhage an Anthology Still Walking Che Beauty and the Beast Kes YiYi Army of Shadows And on DVD: Rafaello Mattarazzo eclipse Paul Robeson set with three left to buy next week High & Low Au Revoir les Enfants Wages of Fear through using a lot of coupons I've saved about 61% off msrp, not quite as good as when we had the 5 off 20 coupons, but still this is the best sale of the year.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Whoa! Now that's a haul.

I'm going back to one of the stores for a second helping today or tomorrow. Four or five more titles will set me up fine. Yes, these sales really are highlights of the year.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I was going to avoid the sale, as I have been buying too much media lately, and I'm pretty set with the Criterions I want. But a Criterion sale is hard to pass up. So, I sprang for: Charade The Magician Paths of Glory After finding that the 20% off coupon code worked, I did one more order for: Beauty and the Beast. If The Four Feathers had already come out, I'd certainly have gone for it. ...must resist temptation to buy more......

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I've already gone pretty far overboard this time around, picking up blu-rays of: Kiss Me Deadly The Great Dictator Something Wild Blow Out The Sweet Smell of Success Cronos Breathless Robinson Crusoe on Mars Army of Shadows Smiles of a Summer Night Playtime The Red Shoes The Wages of Fear Diabolique Shock Corridor Beauty and the Beast The 400 Blows For good measure, I also picked up The Times of Harvey Milk on DVD because they didn't have the Blu in stock and since the DVD was several dollars cheaper and I suspected the difference in PQ would not be that staggering. I keep pondering Solaris. I've not seen it but I'm waffling on a blind buy because opinions I've heard of it run the gamut from "Brilliant!" to "Like watching paint dry." Perhaps I'll keep pondering that one until November and try a rental in the meantime.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I still haven't watched the Blu-rays I picked up last time, but I still bought Solaris, Le Cercle Rouge and Beauty and the Beast. I've never seen the last two. I'll probably go back for High and Low and I'm tempted by The Great Dictator, Paths of Glory and Wages of Fear. Who am I kidding, I'm tempted by almost all of the Criterions.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
DavidJ said:
I still haven't watched the Blu-rays I picked up last time, but I still bought Solaris, Le Cercle Rouge and Beauty and the Beast. I've never seen the last two. I'll probably go back for High and Low and I'm tempted by The Great Dictator, Paths of Glory and Wages of Fear. Who am I kidding, I'm tempted by almost all of the Criterions.
LOL, Same here. I bought Le Cercle Rouge on an Amazon sale and still haven't watched it. I just canceled Netflix in an attempt to get caught up on my Blu-ray/DVD watching.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I'm not a B&N member, but I used the 15% off coupon code and picked up NIGHT OF THE HUNTER and the double feature of THOSE DARING YOUNG MEN IN THEIR JAUNTY JALOPIES and HOUDINI, total price including NY sales tax $31.23.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Used the 20% in-store coupon for Night of the Hunter ($20+tax), but they were out and wasn't sure when they'd have it back in stock, so I ended up just going w/ ship-to-home order for it (and lost the 10% member's discount, which amounted to $2 diff, in exchange for free shipping as a result although I had thought they'd still give that to me when doing it in-store). If I felt sure they'd have it back in stock during the sale *and* while some sort of 20%-plus in-store coupon is available, I probably would've held off and bought something else w/ the coupon instead.

Meanwhile, used the 15% in-store coupon (plus 10% member's discount) for The Great Dictator ($15.30+tax).

Both paid w/ my Amex rewards points funded GC, so no out-of-pocket $ on this.

Figured I'd just pick up 2 titles (w/ the 2 different coupons) each time I drop by over the weekend -- 5% diff isn't enough to warrant going back 2x as often.

I've been eyeing a total of around 9-10 titles for this sale though I'm not sure I'll be able to cover all of them w/ my GCs since I'm still waiting for more to arrive in the mail -- well, I should be able to, but there might not be a good in-store coupon to use (other than the regular $5-off-$50) by the time those GCs arrive...

_Man_

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
The buudy who ordered mine called me to say they've arrived !!!! Boy,that was fast. This calls for one of each of these. :drum::pc: I'm just starting my 12-hour night shift at IBM. this could be a looooonnnngggg night,but i guess i'll look for BD criterion reviews.That'll easily chop off an hour.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Added KISS ME DEADLY today. Nice that the 20% off coupon works more than once!

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
I'm gonna take a chance here and say that 10-word phrase from Martin Keller when not backed up by a more elaborate answer as to why more of us should buy (???) The music room sounds a tad condescending. as opposed to : " I think everyone should watch,is that what you meant ? watch,not buy,The music room. Maybe you didn't plan it that way,but to me that's how it came out.If your intention was to convince to make us watch it,that was a fail. If i'm wrong,then i am indeed sorry. Unless you're working for Criterion and The music room sales are down.:)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'm not buying The Music Room because I didn't like the film when I saw it in a theatre a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks