What's new

Let the buying begin... 2011 B&N Criterion sale (50% off) begins Tuesday, July 12 (1 Viewer)

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
so tomorrow,i'm off for 3 days and will be able to watch Amacord which is the only one i've never seen out of the 5 i received. However,i'd really like to watch the extras on Blow-out especially but i feel i will cop-out of my oath on only watching unseen films for a year. Because i'm a sucker for extras that have people gushing and drooling over a classic i just love and pointing out a different way of viewing it. 8 1/2 ,i've seen the extras on the regular dvd. Days of heaven can wait and the book excerpt from Nestor Almendros is quite satisfying to read.Although very tempting to watch the specific scenes he does mention Any commentaries is stricly forbidden,since i'm technically watching the film. This is hard.Is there a patch for this ?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just picked up Night of the Hunter, High and Low, and Cronos from B&N plus Paths of Glory, Sweet Smell of Success, and The Double Life of Veronique from Amazon (for $20 each - had some credit).

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, the sale got the better of me. I ended up going back for The Great Dictator, the Yojimbo/Sanjuro set, High and Low, Paths of Glory, The Double Life of Veronique, and Seven Samurai. :eek:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Today's the last day, and I was tempted to go back for a few more, including Cronos, which was out-of-stock locally until these last couple days, but think I'll just wait for the next sale instead since I'm out of GCs and there aren't any particularly great coupons available to use right now.

FWIW, I ended up getting just these from this sale (all paid for w/ Amex rewards program funded GCs ):

* Amarcord

* Army of Shadows

* Blow Out

* Le Cercle Rouge

* Diabolique

* Great Dictator

* Night of the Hunter

* Yi Yi

_Man_

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I limited myslef to just two: Great Dictator and Robinson Crusoe on Mars. Very excited to see Four Feathers is coming in October!

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Received my copy of F for Fake and House of Games in the post from B & N. Can't fault the packaging (very solid cardboard packaging), although the latter film arrived with some dents to the DVD sleeve.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't know if this is a faux pas or not, but if anyone's interested I've got a once-viewed copy of The Double Life of Veronique (Blu-ray) listed for $16 shipped in the Software for Sale/Trade Forum.

Mods, feel free to delete this post if I'm stepping on Forum rules.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Ralphie_B said:
Anybody else have their pre-orders of High and Low get canceled by B&N? Or am I the only unlucky one?
Mine was cancelled too. Called customer service about it and got a big run around. Not complaining though...........B&N has still yet to charge me for Beauty and the Beast which I watched last night.. :D

39steps

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Ralphie_B said:
Anybody else have their pre-orders of High and Low get canceled by B&N? Or am I the only unlucky one?
Same here. Of the 6 Blu's I ordered, (Kiss Me Deadly, Le Cercle Rouge, Diabolique, Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, Stagecoach & High And Low), High & Low was the only one not released yet. So since I had requested one shipment to save some money, High & Low was the reason my order was delayed for a few weeks. Eventually I got an email saying the rest of my order had been shipped and there would be a delay with H&L. Then another email saying unless I responded otherwise saying I was willing to wait 30 days, High & Low would be canceled. I responded to the email (I didn't mind the wait). After getting a confirmation email saying they had received my reply, a few days later I got another email saying my order was canceled and I wouldn't be charged for the one Blu. Which is odd since Barnes and Noble still had the Blu of High & Low listed as in stock. Whatever. I can wait till the next sale in November.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I got my order of High and Low, but that's probably because I ordered it the day the sale started. It delayed for one day, then shipped with the rest of my DVDs and Blurays.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I ended up going light... picked up The Music Room, People On Sunday, and Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast. Also picked up the Lubitsch Musicals Eclipse and The Small Back Room on DVD. The Small Back Room is an incredible film that's worth getting on DVD since I don't see Lionsgate bothering with it any time soon. Which is a shame since it's up there with Black Narcissus and The Red Shoes in the line of great Powell & Pressburger films.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Patrick McCart

I ended up going light... picked up The Music Room, People On Sunday, and Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast. Also picked up the Lubitsch Musicals Eclipse and The Small Back Room on DVD. The Small Back Room is an incredible film that's worth getting on DVD since I don't see Lionsgate bothering with it any time soon. Which is a shame since it's up there with Black Narcissus and The Red Shoes in the line of great Powell & Pressburger films.

It sure is: a wonderful film and as tension-filled as any modern thriller.

nealg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neal
Ordered High and Low in the wee hours of release date. Received two days later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks