What's new

Let the buying begin... 2011 B&N Criterion sale (50% off) begins Tuesday, July 12 (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Thanks to Amazon's recent Criterion sale I'd already scored a number of new releases, so: Kiss Me Deadly, Diabolique, Red Desert, The Wages of Fear, Solaris in Blu, and Ace in the Hole on DVD. With membership discount and coupon, the damage was $103 plus tax in the B&M B&N. Per my usual practice, I'll sleep on it and return later for a few additional titles. These ought to shut me up for a while.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
It's a shame the days of getting a $40 Bd for $14.14 are over now. But because they are, I decided to get in my Criterion shopping early this year- and ended up making use of Amazon's earlier 50% off deals, Borders (R.I.P) 50% off coupons last month, DDs summer sale, and B&N's B2G1 June sale. Since I'm no longer have a B&N membership, all these other sales were either as good or even slightly better than picking them up now. Another bonus- DD sent me Beauty & The Beast a week early (a very modest, but still welcome upgrade over the DVD). And just for the sake of list-making, here's the haul over the last month Kiss Me Deadly Black Moon Smiles Of A Summers Night Solaris The Great Dictator Insignificance People On Sunday Something Wild Diabolique Beauty And The Beast average price came out to $18.71 (including NYS tax). Not bad, but probably not good enough to keep indulging like I am.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I finally stopped by my local B&N tonight.

Wanted the Blu of The Night of the Hunter...but they didn't have it.

Now Amazon's got to bring down their price on The Night of the Hunter...

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Mike, You can always order online and make use of a 15% off coupon T9P8A9P (and a free 2 month trial membership). One thing though, if your OCD like I am- I've seen a bunch of the NOTH boxes crimped and dinged. The interior digipak doesn't fit very snug, so there is a sliver of empty space for the box to buckle in or squash. It was tough to find a cherry box in store last year here and I suppose the chances of getting one in the mail are even more slim. If you care about that stuff, of course. BTW another good online coupon is J3M9D8K which takes 10% off every item in your order. Use it quick though- it expires July 19 __________ I see now David already posted the coupons on the previous page- oh well, just another reminder for the latecomers.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Now that you mention it, the one copy of Night of the Hunter in the store today looked half squished. That one had not been Criterion's greatest moment in packaging, anyway.

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
Chas in CT said:
Now that you mention it, the one copy of Night of the Hunter in the store today looked half squished. That one had not been Criterion's greatest moment in packaging, anyway.
Yeah, I ordered that from Borders in January, and the box was totally dented in. :f What was wrong with a regular keep case?

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I was lucky, then. Mine was shipped to me by B&N because the store didn't have it during the last sale, and it was perfect.

This particular package wasn't solid enough and the slipcase was maybe 1/16" too wide for its contents, as though they were using up some leftovers from another release. The loose fit was further aggravated by the smooth texture of the paper coverings. I forget what else, and I know I'm being a little OCD about this, but I love a well designed package. I especially love slipcases -- for books, movies, whatever. But they need to be designed and executed well, and be constructed of a decent grade of cardboard. I miss the deluxe packaging, with solid books, for Mr. Arkadin, Two Lane Highway, Vampyr, and the like. Those days are gone as far as new releases go, but I'm happy that those titles are all still available. If and when Blu-rays are issued of such titles, these don't get replaced -- only supplemented.

Real Name
Brad Welch
Ordered Solaris, Fear and Loathing, Kiss Me Deadly and High & Low. Got the 10% discount, basically covered tax. Leaving the shipping until the end of the month when High & Low is released, so I get it all shipped free. I spent a big chunk of cash and pretty much caught up on all the Criterion blus I wanted at the last B & N sale. Since Amazon seems to intermittently have Criterions on sale these days I have been picking up a few titles there since the last B&N sale.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Thanks to this thread, and David's coupon posts, I just ordered several titles: Beauty and the Beast Charade Black Narcissus Howards End and Topsy-Turvey and the 10% off coupon worked for a non-member like me, including on B & B now, because as of an hour ago, it is no longer considered a pre-order on B&N's site. $17.99 for Criterion Blu-rays is a no-brainer for me. Thanks again!

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
It seems from my buddy who ordered my list it could take as long as 3 weeks to receive this. Oh well,like i said in my other thread i'm starting to watch films i have never seen for a whole year now.,and out of the 5,Amarcord will be the only one i can actually watch.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Since Barnes & Noble still hadn't shipped my copy of Beauty and the Beast as of this morning, I cancelled my order, stopped by the store, and picked it up. $20.00, no shipping. While I was there, I also picked up Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Solaris and Charade. Blow Out and Kiss Me Deadly, which I ordered last week, arrived today. Needless to say, I'm kinda in Criterion blu heaven right about now.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Grabbed The Naked Prey for twenty bucks. I hesitated a bit, though, since I'm trying to cut back on blind-buying. And then there's the issue of having to double-dip if ever there's an upgrade to Blu. Nevertheless, a good deal is a good deal.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
So far my haul has consisted of these Blu ray titles, Vivre Sa Vie, Naked, Beauty and the Beast, People on Sunday, Everlasting Moments, Black Moon, The Magician and pre-order of High & Low. I may snatch a couple more titles before the sale ends.

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator
I decided to pass on 8 1/2 for now... maybe next sale. I also didn't buy any more Kurosawa at this time (though I may still end up preordering High + Low, we'll see). Instead, I took a chance and blind-bought Kiss Me Deadly. So, thus far I've got 4 Criterion Blu-Rays from 4 different directors. It's so hard to narrow it down, but like many here, I've got a significant backlog of Blu-Rays I haven't even pulled out of the shrink wrap yet. Must... practice... moderation!

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
My haul: Night of the Hunter (blind buy) Yojimbo Crumb Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Beauty and the Beast The Seventh Seal (blind buy) Didn't know about the coupon codes until after ordering. I'll survive. Already in my collection are Blowout, The Third Man, and Wings of Desire.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
You've never seen The seventh seal ??? wow,lucky you for discovering this gem. I love this but i also love The virgin spring.

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
montrealfilmguy said:
You've never seen The seventh seal ??? wow,lucky you for discovering this gem. I love this but i also love The virgin spring.
Isn't that funny? I've taken film history classes, life long movie fan, never watched Seventh Seal in its entirety, only clips. Same with Night of the Hunter.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I mostly went to fill up on some of the Kurosawa that I don't own yet. (Yojimbo/Sanjuro two pack and Kagemusha) I was tempted by The Mikado as well, but the reviews weren't the greatest for it, so I passed.

At one time I wanted Black Narcissus, but I've since seen it on TCM and I'm unsure if I'd want to see it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks