What's new

Let the buying begin... 2011 B&N Criterion sale (50% off) begins Tuesday, July 12 (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by dana martin

the great dictator is not included as 50% off?

Why do you ask that question?

Also, the sale doesn't begin until tomorrow morning.

Crawdaddy

Last edited by a moderator:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool

For those who won't have membership (to get the in-store membership discount, etc.) and are interested in the following few titles (marked at 30%-off MSRP), you might consider buying 3 of them online on one order using the above mentioned 10%-off-total-order coupon code w/ the current B2G1 sale, which ends today, instead:

* Solaris

* Diabolique

* Kiss Me Deadly

* Great Dictator

That would run you ~$16.80 each (before any applicable sales tax), and you'd qualify for free shipping whether you're a member or not. You'd have to have B&N membership and shop in-store to possibly beat that during the 50% sale.

_Man_
this is why i was asking that,

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That was only meant to be an alternative suggestion for a good deal on those specific titles right now (before the 50% sale begins), especially for folks who either are not B&N members or don't have a (adequate) local B&N store for the sale.

If you're not a B&N member, you probably won't be able to beat my suggestion for those titles in the 50% sale, assuming you'd actually want 3 of those. You probably also won't beat that if you have to shop online since the 50% sale will preclude use of online coupons (and you wouldn't get the in-store member's discount either).

_Man_

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Just look at my listing and I really don't have that many blu-ray titles from Criterion that I need in my collection. Besides Kiss Me Deadly and The Great Dictator, I have to wait on preorders like Beauty and the Beast.
I'm in the same boat. I have about a dozen Criterions on my wishlist, but they are all August and September released. It looks like I'll just be picking up "The Great Dictator" this time around.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Am I misreading, or are there no coupons for in-store use as well? I prefer in-store shopping for Criterion because of the additional 10% discount they discontinued last year for online purchases. But I've also benefited from a couple of additional coupons like the ones above.

At the store I most often frequent for this, the salespeople have always gone out of their way to accommodate every coupon. I'm kind of looking forward to driving over there tomorrow evening.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Chas in CT
Am I misreading, or are there no coupons for in-store use as well? I prefer in-store shopping for Criterion because of the additional 10% discount they discontinued last year for online purchases. But I've also benefited from a couple of additional coupons like the ones above.

At the store I most often frequent for this, the salespeople have always gone out of their way to accommodate every coupon. I'm kind of looking forward to driving over there tomorrow evening.
If you're a member, there's at least a couple $5-off-$50 coupons you can use, which works ok if you plan on buying 3 titles (or 2 plus something else).

Also, some 10-to-15%-off (or better) coupon or two might show up before the sale is over as is often the case although it's hard to be confident about that since B&N seems to be making gradual changes to their promos over the past year or two. For instance, I noticed they've been sending out some unique in-store *and* online coupons by email to non-member accounts again lately, and these seem a bit different from the previous unique ones of this type. Not sure if this type will start replacing the old non-unique kind for in-store use.

BTW, looks like the sale is already in effect online now... and interestingly, looks like they might be accepting online coupons this time afterall...

_Man_

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
David Norman said:
Extra online coupon codes to decrease the misery. These codes should be available to everybody and does not require being a BN Member. Preorders are not eligible items. I think these are single use per account codes: L7C8F9D 15% discount will be applied to the highest-priced item in your cart. Valid until July 13, 2011 at 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time. T9P8A9P at checkout. 15% discount will be applied to the highest-priced item in your cart. Valid until August 1, 2011. Note: The following coupon will deduct a percentage off each eligible item (your whole cart) and most importantly can be used multiple times J3M9D8K 10% discount will be applied to ALL eligible items in your cart. Valid to July 19, 2011 at 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time. There are some other In-store coupons available to Members, but nothing real exciting -- no 25% off coupons and the $5 off $20 that was so useful in previous sales seems to have been eliminated. $8 off $40+ which eliminates most of regular Blurays though there are a few single movies it should work for plus the boxsets $5 off $50+ total purchase.
The online codes work--for now. Also, for those interested, blu-rays of Beauty and the Beast and High and Low are available for pre-order at 50% off

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
coupon code, damn!! for got that, but still pretty good haul, playing catch-up as well, hopefully the will do a November sale as well

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The 15% off coupons are blocked, but the 10% is still good. Outside of putting The Music Room on hold, I'm pretty much done.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by JoHud

The 15% off coupons are blocked, but the 10% is still good.

Hmmm... Are you sure the 15%-off ones are blocked rather than expired? The one I've tried (w/out completing an order) still seems to work.

_Man_

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
ManW_TheUncool said:

Hmmm...  Are you sure the 15%-off ones are blocked rather than expired?  The one I've tried (w/out completing an order) still seems to work.

_Man_

Maybe. I used both of those in this thread last night, so perhaps I was only allowed to use each once? Regardless, it's good to see you're getting one to work.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The 15% ones (and most others) will only work once each. Only that particular series of 10% (or lower) ones will work repeatedly. That's just how they're designed to work.

_Man_

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
ManW_TheUncool said:
The 15% ones (and most others) will only work once each. Only that particular series of 10% (or lower) ones will work repeatedly. That's just how they're designed to work.

_Man_
The 15% one's are supposed to be one time use, but other forums report a workaround that seems to work for now though you can only order a single item at a time to maximize the discount. You also lose free shipping ($25 minimum) so to make it most worthwhile you need to be a member. BN is still offering a 2 month Free Trial Membership for those that wish to join -- you can always cancel later . So far this seems to work for at least the L7C8F9F code, but I haven't tried with the second code 8/1/2011 Log out of your account Add the Movie to your cart and add the 15% code Begin Checkout, Login to your account, and the discount seems to remain. Summary of codes that work online so far. L7C8F9D 15% off single item (expires 7/13 at 2:59 am EDT) T9P8A9P 15% off single item (expires 8/1) J3M9D8K 10% the entire cart (multiple use) For completeness though with the above 10% code these don't help since only one code is allowed per order: E7E4K8K 7% off total cart W9D3B7F 5% off total cart C7R4R3T $5 off $50+ purchase (don't know if this works for non members or not, but probably not important) All 5 of the remaining Preorders for the month of July are also marked at 19.99, but no codes work on them until after release date. July 19 Beauty and the Beast The Music Room July 26 High and Low Leon Morin. Priest Life During Wartime

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
David, thanks for the informative post. I had wondered about using a coupon for Beauty and the Beast, but now I know they don't work on preorders. If I'm shopping in store (not preorders), do I still get the additional 10% membership discount.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
Many titles i know and love Many titles i know Many titles i have no clue whatsoever. So many choices :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks