What's new

Layer Change issues? (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
HD-DVD has already dual layer. BR's DL has just arrived with Click... but whether or not the entire movie is spread across both discs is unknown. could be movie on 1 layer and features on the other. i think Kingdom of Heaven will be the true test =).

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Both formats are required to have ample sized buffers in the players to eliminate the layer change.

Dan

Travis

Second Unit
I haven't seen one on an HDDVD but my SD's sure do. Kind of a bummer as I still have a ton of SD's in the collection. That is one area where my Denon excelled and I certainly got spoiled from it.

Rolando

Screenwriter
odd, are you saying the HD-A1 shows no pause when switching to next layer on an HD disk but yes on an SD disc?

Travis

Second Unit
Correct. I have noticed about 3/4 of a second pause between layers on my SD discs. This is odd as I figured if it doesn't pause on HD why would it on SD.

Rolando

Screenwriter
wow! How can this be? I figure the reason for layer chage being un-noticeable is that there is a big enough buffer to "cover" for the delay to switch layers. Wouldn't there be LESS to buffer on an SD-DVD therefore making it EASIER to cover?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Could it be that the buffer is optimised on HD-DVD players for VC-1 and MPEG-4 and therefore it can't be used for MPEG-2 SD DVD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks