What's new

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA at NYC's Ziegfeld Theater in September! (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Will this be showing only ONE day in LA? the infor at arclight isn't clear at all how long Lawrence will be running for.

Adam

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Arclight's website is totally confusing. It looks like LOA will be playing at least a week and possibly two weeks. "This Is Cinerama" starts on October 4 for at least 3 days. A poorly designed and run site I'm afraid.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I was confused as well. It wouldn't seem to make much sense to have Lawrence of Arabia shown on just one day. However, I wasn't about to take a chance, so I went ahead and bought the tickets for Sept. 25th and will take the afternoon off from work. Hey, it makes it even more special this way! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since I was going to be in LA this week, I called them on Thursday and confirmed that LOA will begin it's run on 9-25-02 and end on 10-3-02.

Crawdaddy

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I thought this was playing only on the 25th too. I wish I had known it was for a week.

~T

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Does anyone know if this is going to be showing at any other theaters than in NY, LA, Baltimore, or Seattle? Namely Atlanta? I mean why show it for a couple weeks in select cities and then throw it in a vault somewhere. Show the dang film!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Courtesy of Columbia, Lawrence's camel is packed and heading for Atlanta...

in 70mm.

RAH

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Courtesy of Columbia, Lawrence's camel is packed and heading for Atlanta...
So, a sequel is in the works?! :D (sorry, couldn't resist)
That's great news for people in the Atlanta area. Hear that Brent? :)
Is the 25th here yet???
BTW, one question I have about watching Lawrence of Arabia at the Cinerama Dome in L.A. is whether there will be any distortion given the fact that the 70mm print will be projected onto a curved screen? Are there any concerns in this regard?

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

That would be me. For some reason, through the years, I've never seen LoA. I have even owned the DVD for months now. I guess with young kids as well as the length of the movie - it just hasn't happened.

Now, the DVD will be on the back burner as I get to see the movie on the big screen in all its 70mm glory.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Woohoo!! Now the question is when and where will it be in Atlanta? Does anyone know? Mr. Harris?

I've seen LOA dozens of times, but never on a big screen (excepting my 65" Mits), and I can't wait! Wonderful! I just wish that the ending could have been Peter O'Toole and Claude Rains walking off into a desert sunset with O'Toole saying "Dryden, this WILL be the start of a beautiful friendship, DAMN YOU!" (Say it in the O'Toole brogue from "My Favorite Year" and it is funny, trust me...)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There is distortion on any curved screen, which is made all the more obvious by horizontal planes (plains) within the image.

The up-side is a rather unique and more encompassing presentation.

RAH

Sergio Z.

Stunt Coordinator
It starts 2nite in Chicago at the Music Box. Might do the matinee tomorrow. Can't wait...2001 in 70mm rocked there a few months ago...now LOA??? in DTS???!!!! ;)

Evan Case

Screenwriter
I'm coming home next Wednesday and then traveling to NYC to catch the Thursday afternoon show.

I've been waiting for this for at least five years. I'm shaking with anticipation.

Evan

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
There is distortion on any curved screen, which is made all the more obvious by horizontal planes (plains) within the image.
The up-side is a rather unique and more encompassing presentation.
RAH
Lawrence of Arabia will also be showing at The Academy Theatre this January as part of their tribute to Best Picture Oscar winners. I don't know if it will be shown in 70mm, but I will almost certainly see this showing as well. It will be interesting to see how the two presentations compare (flat screen vs curved).

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I'm off to the Senator in about two hours. I'll let everybody know if I still think LOA "sucks" like I infamously said so long ago.

Zach K

Auditioning
Saw it today at the Senator theater. This is my first time seeing a 70mm movie. I found the immersive aspects of the performance excellent, and 70mm is phenomenal...I kept thinking the whole movie Why??? why can't hoolywood produce movies like this any more, with not only the scale of the production, but also the picture. I have to thank Robert Harris for his work on this film. The print showed minimal dirt and other artifacts, great sound, great presentation. I did notice it was a little on the yellow side maybe, (of course Mr. Harris pointed this out so I was specifically looking for this) and besides the obvious dated look of technicolor, this glorious print was sharp and solid, with practically no grain. When I tried to watch this movie so many years ago with a VHS tape on a small screen, I recognized it was a great movie, but fell asleep. Today, I was able to follow the story, and also appreciate the work of the cinematography.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Amdrew, glad to see you liked the film. The "dated look of Technicolor" is absolutely untrue. Technicolor can be subtle, virbrant or anywhere in-between. LOA looks the way it does because that's the way the creative team wanted it to look.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks