What's new

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA at NYC's Ziegfeld Theater in September! (1 Viewer)

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Does anyone have any information yet about when and where it is playing in Atlanta? I've called around to a few of the usual suspects and no one seems to know anything about it.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I just got back from today's 10:30am showing of Lawrence at the Ziegfeld. Showmanship was just lame: I just *knew* they'd run the damn advertising slides and "Lite-FM" music prior to the movie, which meant leaving the curtain open. Then they actually ran the awful kinescope commercials for Mountain Dew and others! And a handful of trailers that were inappropriate. They just have no idea of how to properly present a film. At least the curtain closed when the overture began, but I didn't think they'd be so dumb as to have the slides and music come back on during the intermission - which meant keeping the curtain open! Inept fools...

But the presentation of the film was near-perfect. The print did have a little wear on it, however, which shouldn't have been there, of course, but the focus was perfect and the sound was fine.

I'd recommend seeing it theatrically if you get the chance. I've seen this version before back in '89, and it's just not the same film on DVD. No matter how nice a job they may do on a new DVD version, the impact will NOT be there.

Note to RAH - the new poster has your LoA restoration partner's name wrong: the poster spells it "Tim" instead of "Jim".

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I saw this at the Cinerama Dome on Tuesday. I experienced quite a hassle to see this movie. I originally purchased two tickets for my friend and I on the opening Wednesday, not knowing that it would be playing there for a week. My friend then is unable to make it to that showing due to his finding a new job. The policy of the theater states that the tickets are not refundable or exchangeable, so I tried selling them here. Then I decided to give them a call and discovered that they are exchangeable afterall. So I drove up to LA to exchange my tickets for the showing on Monday, the 29th. Before I left my house on Monday, I took a look at the theater's website to see how many tickets had been sold, just to see how full it would be. The page for the current day's showtimes says the the Cinerama Dome showings are in white--LOA's showtimes are in black. I remember that when I looked at the website before, the movie was supposed to be showing in the dome on that day. I looked at my tickets, and they clearly state that it's inside the dome. I called them up, and the person told me that the movie had been switched to another theater, and that if I wanted to exchange my tickets I should try to come there before the movie starts, but I might be able to exchange them after if I talk to the manager. There's no way I wanted to drive up there again to exchange my tickets, and to return another day to see the movie. So the next day, I show up to the theater to exchange my tickets for the showing that day, with no problem at all.

After all that, I'm disappointed to say that the presentation was not that great. The sound was a bit boomy went it got loud. The picture had distortion due to the curved screen, there were like 2 or 3 vertical lines across the screen, and the print looked a bit worn. And we had a lengthened intermission because there was a problem starting the second half of the movie.

~T

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I just got back from today's 10:30am showing of Lawrence at the Ziegfeld. Showmanship was just lame: I just *knew* they'd run the damn advertising slides and "Lite-FM" music prior to the movie, which meant leaving the curtain open. Then they actually ran the awful kinescope commercials for Mountain Dew and others! And a handful of trailers that were inappropriate. They just have no idea of how to properly present a film. At least the curtain closed when the overture began, but I didn't think they'd be so dumb as to have the slides and music come back on during the intermission - which meant keeping the curtain open! Inept fools...
Oh man, that really bites. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's a movie screen being used as a freaking billboard.:angry: I guess that's one more reason I should be thankful for the Senator.:D

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Hey, at least the Ziegfeld kept the intermission and the entr'acte. Last year, when they showed 2001: A Space Oddyssey at the Loews Astor Plaza, they cut straight to the second part. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread