What's new

John Wayne-John Ford Collection & John Ford Collection: 06-06-06 (1 Viewer)

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
Not to change the subject but if Warners did choose to release The John Ford Collection Vol.2 it could include:
Flesh-1932 MGM
The Plough and the Stars-1936 RKO
The Fugitive-1946 RKO
Wagonmaster-1950 RKO
Mister Roberts SE-1955 Warner Bros.
The Rising of the Moon-1957 Warner Bros.
7 Women-1966 MGM
Just a thought.

And to correct the press release 3 Godfathers is not a remake of Ford's silent film 3 Bad Men, it was a remake of the lost Harry Carey film Marked Men directed by Ford. This is partially why 3 Godfathers begins with a dedication to Carey at the beginning of the film, and the "introducing" before Harry Carey Jr's credit, who had already appeared in Hawk's masterpiece Red River previously that year.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

That particular dedication - 'To Harry Carey - Bright Star of The Early Western Sky' - always chokes me up, almost as much as Wayne's emotional gesture at the end of The Searchers. I didn't realise just what a huge star Carey was until I read Joe McBride's quite marvellous Ford biography.

BTW, Derek, I'd buy that second set in a heartbeat..

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've moved some of the posts about the source material for "The Searchers" and discussion about some other Ford westerns to the below thread. It's a very interesting topic that deserves it's own thread and since, it's more of a film discussion than software topic, it really belongs in our Movies area.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...30#post2956514

Crawdaddy

dave bula

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, my aching wallet !!

I...guess...I'll...have to get these box sets, since each contains some DVDs that I really want. However, as seems to happen more and more often lately with Warners, there are also 2 or 3 films included in each set that I'm NOT interested in, or that I already have. Yes, I know that I'll probably have the option of buying only the ones I really want singly. I've been able to do that a couple of times, but what usually happens is happening again with these. Adding up the cost of the ones I DO want, I get up to the set price. So I end up having no practical choice other than to spring for the entire sets, and treating the unwanted films as bonuses or something. Still, it bugs me. I much prefer sets where ALL the films contained are new editions or of great interest, such as the two Controversial Classics sets and the first Film Noir set.

I know. Bitch, bitch, bitch. Yes, like everyone else I really am thankful that Warner is doing such fine work releasing classic films on DVD. I just wish they'd keep the boxed sets smaller and limited to the more high interest films. I also wish they'd drop the practice of having DVDs (Like Sergeant Rutledge here, and various documentaries in other boxed sets) that are exclusive to the boxed sets to help sell them. That feels very underhanded to me.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

No offense, but that is an incredibly silly thing to complain about. If the films you wanted were only available in the set with ones you don't, or worse already own, that'd be one thing. But if you end up buying the set because its cheaper than getting the individual titles you want, what's the big deal? You're getting a good deal. Sell the ones you don't want on Ebay, and offset the price even further.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

I also have to say that I could not DISAGREE more strongly. I love the idea of getting lesser films mixed in with the others. Personally, I haven't seen most of these other films, and I always want to explore by watching new films. Maybe you have seen this already, and don't like them in which case I guess I see at least part of your point. However, they are essentially free, so sell them for $5 each or give them away to friends or family who may wish to watch them, or even better donate them to a library, and maybe somebody else can get some use from them.

As for the documentaries, I understand your point, but considering how you're complaining about extra films being included and how much money these sets cost, would you really go out and pay extra for these documentaries if they were not included?

If I was you I would save my complaining for other studio like Universal.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Just received this from WB:
----------------------------

Due to scheduling changes, the street date for Lucy and Desi Collection has been changed to May 2.

Also, the titles in the John Ford Film Collection will not be available individually. They will only be available in the Collection which will be priced at $59.92 SRP.

The Searchers: Ultimate Collector's Edition in the John Wayne-John Ford Film Collection has a price change and will now be available for $39.92 SRP. The Searchers: Special Edition will sell for $26.99 and Stagecoach: Special Edition will now be available for $26.99 SRP

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

The prices on the SE hasn't changed, but I wonder if the box set price will go up because of the price increase for the Ultimate Collector's Edition?

Crawdaddy

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Sounds like the John Ford Collection, with the titles only coming in the box set, might be one of the first to use thinpacks from Warner, if what they said in the chat was accurate.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Regarding the box only release for the John Ford set - I wonder if Warner are just testing to see if not releasing the discs individually generates more sales of the box?

Surely Warner would manufacture and price the set according to a rough estimate of how well it will sell. If it surpases that figure by a substantial amount, then my guess is they will do box only releases for more titles.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

That's a distinct possibility because their marketing people wouldn't be doing their jobs, if they don't use a strategy that maximizes units sold.

Crawdaddy

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

That's unfortunate and I may end up passing on the Ford Collection. I was mainly interested in picking up Cheyenne Autumn though I wouldn't mind owning The Informer also. The Lost Patrol was okay but not a film I need in my collection. Didn't care much for Mary of Scotland and I've never seen Sergeant Rutledge but that's what rental outlets are for.

Hopefully this is not a continuing trend especially given that in some instances Warner includes previously released titles in their box sets, like the Ford/Wayne Collection.

Corey

Screenwriter
the only dvd i'm going to get is stagecoach since i'm not a john wayne fan whatsoever. i'll buy the john ford set though.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I'm glad that the films in the John Wayne/John Ford collection will be available individually. I have several of them and have no desire to rebuy them.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

????

You like John Ford and will buy his separate box, but John Ford films with John Wayne you don't like?

That's interesting.:D

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Anyone denying themselves any John Ford films because of a misplaced perception of what amounts to a 'John Wayne' performance is quite frankly cutting nose off to spite face.

The Wayne / Ford box contains not only some of Wayne's best work on screen but also Fords.

As a huge fan of 'Pappy' (and Wayne), I'm only glad that these releases should help cement Ford's place as, not only one of the finest purveyors of Americana, but also one of cinema's greatest artists.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks