What's new

John Wayne-John Ford Collection & John Ford Collection: 06-06-06 (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I want both sets, but I'll probably buy the ford/wayne set cause I'd really love to have Stagecoach, she wore a yellow ribbon and the Searchers. Looking forward to the films on the set I've not seen.

The ford set I can hold off on, it just doesn't have enough high caliber titles for me to get right away, I like the Informer but not enough to buy all the others. Looking forward to a good version of lost patrol though, wonder how long it will be.

From the period the Informer came out until 1939-1941 or so, a lot of cineastes and critics held it as the best film ever made. Especially because it was essentially an independent movie and was so artistic with a clear, stunning style and social significance.

I wonder how many had seen M at the time, not many, I bet? I know Ford had, because I remember reading how he admired it.

Richard Matich

Stunt Coordinator
Adam_s: If you have not seen Fort Apache then I highly recomend it. Its a sweeping cavelry saga with great performances! :) I hope the print is another Warner Bros. stunner. :D

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I don't think it's based on M, but I think you'll see a general similarity to the arc of the story. but a completely different approach with very different characters.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
The box artwork is gorgeous, how come Warner Brothers get artwork SO right when other studios fail miserably?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
mmmm nice box very tempting, but I'm only really interested in two: The Searchers and Stagecoach.
Especially Stagecoach which is my favorite of this set and I don't already have it on dvd, and since they'll also be available seperately...

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
Though it is only thumbnail size image, the cover for the Searchers UCE, visible on the side of the box looks a little cheesy. Obviously I can't see it too clearly, but it looks more like a cover you would find on a PD collection of Wayne's films. Compared to Warner's usual Poster art style covers. Though I will say the American Posters for the Searchers weren't very exciting. I'm curious to see a larger image. I know this is just nit-picking. I would buy this set for twice as much, even if it was wrapped in old newspaper.

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, considering King Kong came in a tin package, I bet The Searchers is coming in a gold embossed imitation leather case. That would explain that unusual image.

Richard Matich

Stunt Coordinator
So is the UCE of the Searchers the one in the box set or is it just the Special Edition?? Are there 2 sets [one with and one without] the UCE? I'm confused.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

If you squint at the artwork at the DVD Times website, you can make out "Ultimate Collector's Edition" on the boxset.

Richard Matich

Stunt Coordinator
Squint?! With my eyesight?! LOL. :D Thanks for your help Sean. Seriously I guess it was tough for me to read it. Small writing. UCE is in the box! :emoji_thumbsup:

JohnPM

Second Unit
Best news about the Ford set is the fact that they are releasing the full-legnth version of "The Lost Patrol", which has been largely unseen since the initial release of the feature in 1934. The movie was edited for re-issues and it was the short version that made it's way to television in 1956, and which has remained in circulation since, so this complete print is going to be quite an exciting discovery for a lot of Ford fans.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks