What's new

John Wayne-John Ford Collection & John Ford Collection: 06-06-06 (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Wow...That Searchers UE sounds like a great package. And a reproduction of the original Dell comic book? Good grief, but
that sounds cool. i suppose though, that it will be the size of the comic bundled in with the Batman Begins sets?

:frowning: it is going to be extremely hard to pass this up (especially if DDD has another sale a few weeks later) but i was really hoping to just make one buy of this and making that the HD version. Given that they fail to mention a day and date HD DVD release in that press release, and given the rumblings of problems w/ authoring the first batch of discs due in a few weeks- i kind of wish they would just postpone an HD release of it altogether until they fully work the kinks out (on lesser titles).
It would suck if we come to look back on the HD release of the Searchers the way we look back at things like Blade Runner and Outland on dvd now.

also tempering my enthusiasm a bit is the memory of some quote, by Mr Feltenstein i believe who sounded disappointed or somewhat apologetic with the restoration of The Searchers.
something to the effect of "we did the best we could, but its just not going to ever look perfect".
does anyone else remember that?

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I can't see how it will look worse than the current disc, which I assume was transfered from a 35mm reduction.

Did Warner use the negative, or was that too damaged/faded? I have a vague memory of reading that they scanned each of the B&W seperation masters at 4K, then recomposited them digitally so they could deal with the problems of different shrinkage using computer filtering.

Anyway, I can't wait for both of these boxes, and the Batjac Suspense Collection box released around the same date. I'm also very happy that Warner are putting the Ultimate Edition of The Searchers in the box, rather than the standard 2 disc SE.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I'd be happy if they do that too, but I want confirmation. Warners have stated their intentions of switching to Thinpaks for sets and a collection this size would appear to be made for such a switch - I can't see how they'd marry up the UE box with Thinpaks. I know how the press release reads, but I'd still like Warners to confirm?

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Both these sets are must buys for me, thanks Warner!!

The only disappointment is Warner's decision not to include The Fugitive, which might be his most underrated film and the only film he considered to be perfect. Hopefully Warner will release this as a separate DVD one day.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

A great film that I would think the folks at Warner are well aware of. Also, that film has some of the best black and white cinematography I have ever seen on film.

Crawdaddy

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm also curious about "Mogambo"? Target had the exclusive around Christmas time selling this along with "Three Godfathers", and the later is appearing the Ford/Wayne box. I'm going to sell of the copy that I have, but has anyone heard anything about a re-release of "Mogambo", and will it appear in some other box, possibly the Gable box?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I was hoping that that John Ford's final film, the vastly underrated 7 Women would be included in the John Ford box set. Still, I suppose between their Warners, MGM and RKO holdings, Warners has enough material for a second John Ford box set.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
Bogdanovich has done some subpar commentaries, but he's also done some fantastic ones, such as Fury and Clash by Night. Anyone know if he interviewed Ford like he did Lang? If so, I have high hopes for the commentary.

And wow, an $80 SRP. I was expecting a hundred bucks, like the Hitchcock and Garbo signature collections.

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
I'm overjoyed by the release of these two collections. It is a dream come true to see these films given the full Warners treatment. But I will say I feel sad that two of my favorites are missing, the brilliant and engaging 7 Women (Ford's final Feature) and the western masterpiece Wagonmaster. I feel these films compare with Fords finest films, and can bring viewers to a greater understanding of Ford's work, yet have drifted into obscurity over the years. I know it is too late for these films to join the upcoming collection, but I would like to put a word in for Warners to resurrect these films. You could also put in a word for the Fugitive, which is certainly a flawed film but as Robert Crawford as stated, is one of the most beautifully photographed films ever made. Possibly The John Ford Collection vol 2?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Good question, but I don't have a definitive answer to it. We know it won't be the 145 minute cut version so it will include the James Stewart/Wyatt Earp sequences which puts the running time up to 155 or so minutes. The film was 170 minutes at its initial premire so to me that's the real question if it's going to be 170 minutes or the 155 minute version? I don't know what was cut from that 170 minute version since it was only shown that one time, therefore, I have to guess that the 155 minute cut is what they're calling the Roadshow version.

Crawdaddy

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator

i don't mind bogdanovich. i just hope he doesn't try to imitate ford like he did hawks on the bringing up baby commentary.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The coVer-art looks great, especially FORT APACHE. Exactly right. The new art for two previously released titles is a vast improvement. Worth buying the DVD's over again just for the art.

Doesn't Samuel Goldwyn own THE FUGITIVE?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks