What's new

It's Official: HD DVD and Blu-ray Can Limit High Resolution To HDMI Only (1 Viewer)

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I think the reason for the HDMI only is that the DVD Forum themselves agreed not to allow a HD/ or a upcoverted signal over the Component connections. Its the same reason no upcoverting DVD player upconverts over Component(only HDMI and DVI). One Zenith player did, but they changed that very quickly. It has nothing to do with just the HD-DVD or Blu Ray players. I agree that they should become one HD format, but I don't think they will change a rule they have had going for a while

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm yet another person who will gladly participate in the boycott. I also would have been a person who would have jumped early (though not as early as some of you guys) into HD had there been ONE format. I have HDMI inputs on my TV but it's nuts that somebody who doesn't have them can't use an HD player.

If a large segment of the HT enthusiast community boycotts along with the overwhelming majority of people who won't understand/care about HD, the boycott will work and they will have to rethink or come together for one format that actually works for everyone.

As for suggestions on how best to start it, I would say to try to get as many DVD forums and websites to post a link on their main page about it. The letter could have a short and to the point message stating the faults that we, the early adapters, see with the formats, the fact that there is two formats to begin with, and how we will not buy either one of them.

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
I am one who has kept silent on this issue, because I personally haven't had the time to invest to read up on it and understand it fully. But I bought my Toshiba 50" 50H81 set 4 years ago (component inputs only) and then only began hearing about this development soon after, thinking that any future development of DVD's would be backward compatible. If this is not going to be the case, then, YES, count me in for an active boycott.

I do not have the budget to buy as many DVD's as many of you, so I have to be very selective with what I do purchase. As a result, my collection is one that I am very proud of- with only one or two exceptions. I can NOT afford to buy into a format that is not compatible with my current equipment at this time.

With me, the line has been drawn. :emoji_thumbsup:

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Christ, reading this thread scared the hell out of me until I realized that our Sony KP-57WS500 has a DVI input, which if I understand correctly, is easily converted to HDMI with an adapter.

"First, to clear away one element that can be confusing: DVI and HDMI are exactly the same as one another, image-quality-wise. The principal differences are that HDMI carries audio as well as video, and uses a different type of connector, but both use the same encoding scheme, and that's why a DVI source can be connected to an HDMI monitor, or vice versa, with a DVI/HDMI cable, with no intervening converter box."
(http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/122868.html)

However....

I love my existing DVD collection, and aside from a few early discs (BLADE RUNNER, for example), I'm happy with standard definition DVD. I will not support the studios and the asinine pissing match they've engaged one another in. I will sign the petition, and I'll have everyone I know sign it too. And yes, I will enthusiastically boycott both formats.

Two separate players, my ass. As long as we're discussing my ass, both sides can pucker up and kiss it.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I am fully behind you guys that want to vocally
make a stand and tell the greedy studios that you
won't support their ideas. If I don't like something,
I won't support it with my attention or money. Boycotts
can be a good thing- us consumers do have the power.
I wasn't going to jump into the hi-def DVD format anyway-
I'm satisfied with SD-DVD and the competing format idea
is ridiculous.

Go get 'em, Ron! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
I'm boycotting HD-DVD because, well, it's HD-DVD and not Blu-ray.

Everyone's griping about this, they have (what) 3 major equipment makers (and not even the best ones IMHO)? We're talking a niche product out of the gate. Studio support means nothing, because it's not exclusive...and is a threat to Blu-ray the same way UMD discs are to DVD! (I exaggerate but you get the idea).

Start complaining if and when Blu-ray players support HDMI HD only.

Whats ironic about this whole thing, is that for this to succeed, they need the early adopters to jump in on this. Well, the early adopters that would be jumping in are the ones that were the early adopters when it came to purchasing HD, they are the ones who only have the component inputs...

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Craig, I changed your post back to the way it appeared in 1996.

Those who dismiss HD because DVD is "good enough" makes me wonder why you'd be on an enthusiast forum.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Has Blu-Ray officially said they will be HDMI only? If not, this would be a huge opportunity for them to gain a competitive advantage.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I agree, but in the end, they will go down the same path of paranoia and greed as the HD-DVD side is going. On paper, for the manufactures and studios, it's a win-win situation. They get to sleep easier "knowing" that they're stamping out piracy and for many, if you want HD you will need to buy a nice, new, expensive TV. Maybe you'll get a small rebate if you purchase the two items together, thanks for nothing!

It certainly does not help that we're in week 20 of a.....gasp!.....box office slump. Of which, I'm sure studios are going to blame, at least in part, or piracy.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

If the HD rollout wasn't so fraught with studio posturing and divisive bullshit, I'm sure I'd be much more enthusiastic about it, and much more receptive to upgrading. But that's not the reality, is it? Given the state of things, I'll continue to enjoy my existing DVD collection, which I've invested many years and many dollars in, and which I'm quite fond of.

Since you've called the merits of my HTF membership into question: I'm on this forum because I love films, I love TV (well, some TV), and I love the quality presentation I get from my equipment. I'm also a staunch advocate of OAR. I'm pretty confident that my membership here is justified. Must each of us now prove our worthiness simply because we're unhappy with how the transition to HD is going?

Or to put it another way: Is DVD suddenly beneath us? PeterTHX, if DVD isn't good enough for you, why are YOU here?

Terry H

Second Unit

The irony is they're shooting themselves in the foot by following the "path of paranoia and greed". Do they really believe that people who paid $3,000 - $5,000 for HD ready sets that are relatively new will just dump them and gladly buy another for the sake of their copy protection scheme? A handful will... but tens of thousands will not.
Count me in the boycott.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I think SD-DVD is an emmensly satisfying format for a film enthusiast when it is done right. If someone was saying that they think VHS is "good enough" then I would question what they would be doing on a forum like this.

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Well it actually looks like I will be safe since my Mits has the IEEE1394 (Firewire) input even though is is 3.5 years old. However I will support a boycott because this is just wrong.

Laters,
Jeff

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Because I am a film lover and if you're familiar with them you know that the picture quality has a LONG way to go with DVD. Even HD can't touch the resolution, color, and detail an untouched film print can offer. But HD is certainly much better than DVD.

You talk about being a staunch advocate of OAR, well you should know that there are plenty of titles out there either not widescreen, or 16x9 enhanced. HD will require all new or recent transfers. There's plenty of DVDs that use the old VHS or LD transfers.

I had LD, SVHS, and I remember all too well before DVD was available what people were saying the EXACT same thing at the time, especially in early '96 when SD & MMC were competing formats.

Except in this case it's Toshiba vs the rest of the electronics world. Blu-ray is supported by pretty much EVERYBODY else. I look at HD-DVD the same way I do UMD. Not mainstream.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I get the tech journals that discuss this sort of stuff, and believe me, the manufacturers etc. are really wringing their hands about this and HD-DVD/Blueray. They know it's a disaster in the making. A lot of investment for them whichever way they go, possibly little return. Too many players IMO, with too many opposing agendas.

OTOH, when you read the interviews with the bean-counters, you know the basis for decisions is (obviously) about increasing sales...not about a better product or pleasing consumers, but about maximizing revenue. Some would call this "greed", but the driving force is the shareholders and the modern mindset of how companies must perform.

It is a little amazing that they're talking about changing a major successful A/V format after only 8 years or so, most others have lasted at least 20.

Those buying all the HD TV's *now* as a major once-in-a-decade upgrade are sure going to be pissed off if it doesn't have HDMI/DVI, you can be sure the people at BB etc. won't be telling them (not that I'd expect them to know).

I'm in for the boycott. I'm too old and smart from not being so smart in the past to buy into something when the players don't really have a good idea what they're doing and disagree right out of the gate. I love my DVDs, it's the first home video format that I've found totally acceptable...I rarely complain about my viewing experience (in context considering the large amount I watch). Better quality is good, I'm all for that, but I'm not spending an extra penny on anything for any reason until I know it's going to stick around, digital stuff just turns out to be too ephemeral. No big deal for me, by the time my next TV, a 70-80" plasma, is "reasonably" priced I expect this'll all be resolved...:)

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I'm still waiting to hear what the official position is for Blu-Ray considering all of this connectivity nonsense. With Blu-Ray as a pretty major marketing point of Sony's upcoming PS3, and the PS3 supporting component inputs, I'm wondering if Sony would try and restrict the connectivity actually used for playing back the Blu-Ray discs over the machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks