What's new

It's All Happening At The Zoo (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Some from this morning's visit:

Our zoo had a baby giraffe born less than two months ago. This is the first time we've seen the new addition. The fence is temporary to keep the youngster near mom.
451A1527-XL.jpg

The three grizzly bear "cubs" are now almost four years old!
451A1544-XL.jpg

451A1548-XL.jpg

One of the baby kangaroos was out of mommy's pouch today
451A1566-XL.jpg

This vulture isn't scared by Halloween!
451A1487-XL.jpg

Young river otters playing
451A1483-XL.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Look at the ears on that first bear cub! Wotta face! Great expression/image, Scott!

Too cute.

It's almost as if he's saying, "Whaddya mean I have to install even MORE speakers for this Atmos stuff???"

451A1544-XL.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Mike Frezon said:
Look at the ears on that first bear cub! Wotta face! Great expression/image, Scott!

Too cute.

It's almost as if he's saying, "Whaddya mean I have to install even MORE speakers for this Atmos stuff???"

Mike,

Yes, he looked adorable with his head resting on that log. My wife and I have really enjoyed watching these three rescued grizzlies grow up at our zoo over the past three years. We were quite disappointed this spring when the brothers were temporarily relocated to a portion of the polar bear exhibit in order to repair their area - they had almost destroyed it over the past couple of years with their activity. Fortunately, the relocation was only temporary, and they have been back in their normal home for our last couple of visits.

And thanks to Cees, too, for the kind words.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I love these zoo pics.
I'm so anxious to finally get my first DSLR camera.
I'm sick of using a P&S.
I'll be picking up my new camera just in time for my trip back to San Francisco.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I visited the zoo for the 2nd straight Saturday to try out my new Canon EF 100-400L IS II lens (I recently upgraded from the original 100-400L). They were having an Easter egg hunt for the kids, so it was a lot more crowded than the previous Saturday, when I was the only one there for the first hour. Here are a few shots:

The new baby giraffe, which was born a couple of months ago. The giraffes are still inside, as it's too cold out yet for them. This was shot through glass.

451A2511-XL.jpg

The three grizzly bear brothers are now four years old! They came to the zoo as baby cubs, rescued when their mother was shot in Alaska. They are getting so big.

451A2476-XL.jpg

451A2489-XL.jpg

The bush dogs were out.

451A2600-XL.jpg

Arctic fox

451A2526-XL.jpg

We usually do not walk through the butterfly house & aviary, but it was a nice way to warm up

451A2422-XL.jpg

451A2432-XL.jpg

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Great pictures, just for the subjects alone.

The members of the extended cat family are always visually attractive.

In this case the title of this thread almost looks like a sad comment.

Cees

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Thank you, Cees & Cameron! Those were shot with my new Canon 100-400 MkII. I absolutely love this lens!

Mark

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Terrific shots, Mark! The first one is my favorite -- you pressed the shutter at the perfect time to capture the baby looking right at you. I've only visited the San Diego Zoo once, but loved the place. I've never seen baby gorillas that young. We've had babies at the Detroit Zoo, but I think they kept them inside until they were a little bigger, and there is no longer an indoor viewing area for the gorillas.

You are making fine use of that new 100-400L II.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Thank you, Scott! Believe it or not, I shot over 200 images of that baby gorilla. Those four are my favorites. And, yes, I was really pleased when he looked in my direction.

Mark

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Mark Booth said:
Thank you, Scott! Believe it or not, I shot over 200 images of that baby gorilla. Those four are my favorites. And, yes, I was really pleased when he looked in my direction.

Mark

As someone who's come home from a zoo visit with way too many shots to sort through of certain animals, I definitely believe you. :lol: Luckily, Lightroom helps to streamline the selection and discard process for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks