What's new

International It Came From Outer Space 3-D & Nat "King" Cole with Russ Morgan's Orchestra (1 Viewer)

SAM33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stewart
"I'd be very interested in the Nat King Cole short...but don't know anything about it. Can anyone describe it?

Will there be a 2-D version of it as well?"

I too am really looking forward to the musical short, if you have Bob's 3D RARITIES you can see the preview for it which should give you a good sense of it. One of the last of these sorts of things, that had been a staple of movie-going (like cartoons) since the beginning of sound, a short variety show of musical acts besides Cole. I believe there were two more in 3D from this director, Will Cowan.

Any 3D Blu ray can be seen 2D as well.

S A M 33

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Here's the review in Boxoffice.

The review is spot-on about the 3-D staging being rather bland. It was shot quickly (the Cole footage was a camera test of the studios new rig) and the next two 3-D shorts from Universal (Carnival in April and Hawaiian Nights) are much better so far as stereo compositions.

Cole review.jpg

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
I tend to remember the Cole short as having a few impressive shots, but maybe I'm remembering it through anaglyphic colored glasses.

Funny enough, I think I've seen It Came From Outer Space just about every way there is to see it over the years:

2D on TV

Anaglyphic VHS

Anaglyphic Digest Super 8

Field Sequential DVD

Anaglyphic 16mm

Anaglyphic 35mm

Dual Strip Polarized 35mm

I can say the same thing for Creature From the Black Lagoon and toss 3D Blu Ray in for good measure.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Bob Furmanek said:
Let me clarify: the quality of the 3-D on the short is excellent and there is a lot of depth, but the staging is not very inspired.

That being said, when Nat leaves the piano to sing "It's Crazy," the medium shot looks as if he's standing in your screening room. How cool is that?!

I noticed a number of scenes in Inferno where the actors appear to be coming out-of-the-screen.

Real Name
Chris Rasmussen
SO excited since the announcement of this release I just had to go back and reread it to make sure it was real. To my distress, there is no longer ANY mention of ICFOS on Panamint's website.

Since they're closed at this hour I haven't called to enquire. Hopefully this just means the page is being edited, but then I'd expect it to at least show up in a search of the site... which comes up with a disheartening notice: "Product Not Found."

If anyone here has insight on this and can put us all at ease, I'd be grateful to get my heart started again.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Chris Rasmussen_276190 said:
If anyone here has insight on this and can put us all at ease, I'd be grateful to get my heart started again.
Not sure, but they have edited the title 3 times already, closing the page to add a different picture;

Screen shot 2016-01-20 at 9.25.13 AM.png

Edit: Found the address for a working link: It Came From Outer Space 3-D

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
They are NOT accepting pre-orders. They'd be well advised to ( unless the actual release is still not definite) otherwise they'll lose many to Amazon

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
turtledove said:
Has there ever been a 3d release on bluray without a 2d version?
It's not supposed to happen - my understanding is that the BD spec requires that all 3D releases be backward compatible to 2D.

That said, it happened once and only once that I'm aware of - Disney's Oz The Great And Powerful.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
Josh Steinberg said:
It's not supposed to happen - my understanding is that the BD spec requires that all 3D releases be backward compatible to 2D.

That said, it happened once and only once that I'm aware of - Disney's Oz The Great And Powerful.
IN those cases would it not be possible to simply hit the 3D button on your tv remote which should change it to 2d?

Or are you thinking strictly in terms of being able to play the movie on a 2d setup. I know some 3d discs just will not load up if they don't detect a 3d tv

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
Josh Steinberg said:
Exactly, if you've got a 2D setup, the disc just won't load.

So was the Oz disc an error? Did they forget to add the 2d disc or forget to encode the single disc for 2d aswell?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
turtledove said:
So was the Oz disc an error? Did they forget to add the 2d disc or forget to encode the single disc for 2d aswell?
It was not an error. They segregated the 3D and 2D releases as an experiment which failed miserably. Their solution was to discontinue releasing 3D discs in the US completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks