What's new

International It Came From Outer Space 3-D & Nat "King" Cole with Russ Morgan's Orchestra (1 Viewer)

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
Stereo sound too !! Can't wait to get hold of this.

It's nice that with the regular Bluray releases month in and month out that it's still possible for a real zinger to get the mouth watering in anticipation

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
JoHud said:
Yes, it's official now. The title can be browsed from their main blu-ray listings.

Note that there is no confirmation as to the disc's region, but chances are it will be B given their prior Universal releases.
If the earlier picture of the back cover is accurate, it's Region B only.

Like I said before, I got an all region player for a reason. Now I get to use it.

Hmm...wonder if Panamint will take on the other Universal 3D releases?

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
^The back cover also confirms what I suspected earlier. Hollywood Classics is involved in licensing the title to Panamint.

Here in the states the only 3rd parties that Universal seems to do business with are TCM Vault and Criterion. 50's science fiction & B-Westerns aren't really what Criterion and TCM Vault tend to get into. Hence why films like The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957), The Land Unknown (1957),Tarantula (1955), Monolith Monsters (1957), Revenge of the Creature (1955) (2-D), and Taza, Son of Cochise (1954) (2-D), are released on Blu-Ray in Europe.

TCM Vault or Criterion will do film noir titles, so perhaps The Glass Web (1953) is a possibility here in the states.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
revgen said:
^The back cover also confirms what I suspected earlier. Hollywood Classics is involved in licensing the title to Panamint.

Here in the states the only 3rd parties that Universal seems to do business with are TCM Vault and Criterion. 50's science fiction & B-Westerns aren't really what Criterion and TCM Vault tend to get into. Hence why films like The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957), The Land Unknown (1957),Tarantula (1955), Monolith Monsters (1957), Revenge of the Creature (1955) (2-D), and Taza, Son of Cochise (1954) (2-D), are released on Blu-Ray in Europe.

TCM Vault or Criterion will do film noir titles, so perhaps The Glass Web (1953) is a possibility here in the states.

However, TCM Vault does not (or rarely ever) does new remastering of any of the Universal titles, so quality can be a real mixed bag. That Universal blu-rays coming from that label are extremely rare.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
JoHud said:
However, TCM Vault does not (or rarely ever) does new remastering of any of the Universal titles, so quality can be a real mixed bag.
Case in point: THE NIGHT STALKER, which reportedly is cow dung.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Another of the many reasons I love this movie is that it contains one of the cheesiest mood escalations in a single scene - rivalling a similar rising rant in Plan 9 From Outer Space. It's the combination of the speechy Ray Bradbury dialogue and the dead-earnest delivery crescendo by Charles Drake that makes it a treasure:

Sheriff Matt Warren: "Did you know, Putnam, more people are murdered at ninety-two degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once - lower temperatures, people are easy-going. Over ninety two, it's too hot to move. But just ninety-two, people get irritable."

Punk-rockers, Siouxsie and the Banshees, must have also liked this as they dedicated a song to it titled '92 Degrees':

"Shaky lines on the horizon
Snakey thoughts invade each person
Not 91 or 93, but 92 Fahrenheit degrees"

On evidence, this thread has been simmering at 92 degrees for a while. Ah, that fan is lovely and cool!

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
I hope the quality of this release is better than some of the Universal sci fi classics released in Germany like This Island Earth and Shrinking Man.

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
I am prepared to pay extra if the film is released in Scientifically Perfected Eye-Resting Mono-Color, as its makers originally intended! :P

SAM33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stewart
I actually have a setting on my projector that I use to try and "sepia" the image up a bit when I watch this film!

So restful...

S A M 33

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
Robert Crawford said:
The more I think about this release, the more excited I get about it. I truly hope everything works out well with this title. If so, it's going to be one of the most talked about releases on this forum in 2016.

And perhaps a good reason for the ones who are not yet multi region to finally make the move.

Hard to recall any other similar and such important release being let go by its owner to be released by a tiny independent. This should be a great earner for Panamint.

How on earth did they get the rights? But congrats for doing so.

Is it really the state of the market or are Universal lazy and / or uninformed?

They were equally lazy regarding their catalogue of classic movies on dvd where , with the exception of the US, many of their classic movies from the likes of Hammer were licenced out rather than being proper Universal releases.

They've lost interest even more with Bluray- but as long as the films come out somewhere that's all that matters

SAM33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stewart
"Ha, we would do that if the studio hadn't scrapped those plans before the premiere. IT was always black and white."

Actually, I think BEAST FROM 20000 FATHOMS really was released in sepia tone, wasn't it Bob? I saw a re-release triple feature of THE MONSTER THAT CHALLENGED THE WORLD, THE VAMPIRE, and THE RETURN OF DRACULA in the late 60's/early 70's and they were all tinted green!

A bit off-topic, but I like all my black and white content on the warm side, as on old 16mm collector that's just how I feel a projected black & white image should look (not actually sepia of course). I can't tell you how many home theatre projectors seem to skew really green on a black and white image. I have one good friend where I can hardly stand to watch B&W at his place, looks like a fluorescent tube!

"Is it really the state of the market or are Universal lazy and / or uninformed?"

Over at the Classic Horror Film board, we've been speculating on this. As I'm sure lots of folks know, big studios just don't see the relatively few number of copies of classics they'll sell, especially niche things like 3D, as worth their effort. If they can't move like at least 10,000 units it appears to be not worth their effort. It seems hard to fathom when you are a fan with a normal budgetary life and not a multi-national corporation, but this is all just chump change to them.

That's why it can't be said enough how much we owe to Bob and his like (Olive, Twiligjt Time) for tirelessly working to keep these dreams coming true for us.

S A M 33

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
This is pretty big news.

I remember being excited when I walked into a West Coast Video in 1985 and found a rental copy of the 1980 anaglyphic tape. I rented it and went home that night using a pair of 3D glasses from Honeycomb cereal(!) that I had to hold up for the entire 80 minutes. It was, in fact, the first 3D movie I had seen in 3D since Jaws 3D at the time. I rented that thing multiple times before managing to copy it (sorry). Watched it so many times that, like The Mask (which I managed to tape off of TV in 1986) I got sick of it. Finally got to see it in anaglyphic 16mm in 2003, then for the first time in Polarized 3D at Suffern in 2004 (hiya, Pete!). Needless to say, I am looking forward to the Blu Ray. I do an annual 3D Day at my apartment for friends, usually in October. Guess I know one of the titles on the list for this year!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Actually, I think BEAST FROM 20000 FATHOMS really was released in sepia tone, wasn't it Bob?

Yes, I saw a 35mm sepia print back in the 1980's in NYC.

The only 3-D titles to get sepia treatment were from Columbia: MAN IN THE DARK and SPOOKS.

Universal sent their tech people to look at MAN when it opened in LA and thought the picture was too dark. That's why the sepia plans for IT were canceled.

spooks02.jpg

SAM33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stewart
Interesting, thanks Bob!

Yeah, I've had anaglyphic and converted field sequential versions of that tape release copied to DVD since about 2003 or so. All the times I've seen this in 35mm it's been anaglyph, and I've ALWAYS been disappointed. To the point I finally thought that the 3D photography just wasn't very good.

But to my surprise I can actually get better results at home where I can adjust the color. Field sequential works even better, but the system was only viewable on CRT's (who has one of those anymore?), and prone to flashing and horrible scan lines. Had to watch on a relatively small screen in a dark room with glasses that had 8 foot cords on them. And VHS resolution of course. I don't think that tape was stereo was it? My copies have been re-married to the stereo track.

BUT, at least I could finally see it has great 3D! Never had the good fortune to see it projected properly polarized, so you have no idea how much I'm looking forward to this, my most-wanted yet to be released title period!

S A M 33

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks