What's new

Is it still worth owning DVD's? (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I must have 300-500 DVDs (I've never really counted, since I don't know if a box set should count as one or multiples, etc., and it there's just no reason to count).

I used to collect VHS tapes before DVD, and most of my VHS collection has since been lost, given away, or trashed. I was a little worried about that happening to my DVD collection, but I don't think that will be the case. The jump from DVD to an HD-DVD format (for me at least) won't be anywhere near as drastic as the jump from VHS to DVD.

I have so many discs because I really like them, and because I like to collect them. I have a pretty eclectic grouping of movies, and I'm proud of that. As Brandon put it, it's basically my version of my grandparents' book collection. What I like about my collection is that there's always something for everyone. No matter how diverse a group of friends I might have over at once, we can always find something to watch. My roommates have seen many great films that they never would have been exposed to if they had to go out and rent them. I think when you end up with a couple hundred DVDs or more, it's as much about always having a wide variety to choose from as it is rewatching everything.

I have drastically cut back on purchasing within the past year, but if there's a good movie at a good price and I want it, I'll probably still grab it. I just bought Lethal Weapon 2 & 3 used for less than five dollars each... even though I'm by no means rich, it still seemed like a good purchase. I like the movies a lot, and they're also some of my dad's favorite movies, so when he comes to visit at the least we'll have something to watch.

I still make the occasional blind buy as well... a lot of times something I buy blind is something I've wanted to see for quite some time, even if I don't plan on watching it that night. It's good to always have a few unseen movies waiting around.

Lately, in order to save money and shelf space, I've only been buying things I know I'll feel like watching soon.. I usually go through phases where I might be really into sci-fi for a few weeks, and then courtroom dramas the next time, etc., etc. So these days, if I see a good price on a DVD but I haven't been watching anything similar of late, I'll pass.

Anyhow, I guess the point I'm trying to make is that my collection is as much a library as it is just a set of things I have to watch. I'll still keep them all whenever I upgrade to the next format (not gonna happen until the format war is over)... for the once a year (or every other year) that I see the South Park movie, I can deal with seeing it in standard definition. Wonder Boys is one of my favorite movies, and I can watch it anytime and enjoy it, but for a title like that, I don't see the need to buy a hi-def version of it. There's definitely no reason to rebuy something like "Clerks" in high definition, at least not for me. But movies like Star Wars and 2001, those will be worth upgrading I think.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I go see lots of movies in the theater, and with the Internet I can be a lot more selective of the movies I go see. Then, I will only buy those movies that rate higher than 8/10 or so.

I use Netflix to watch the movies that I don't go see in theaters...which are mostly dramas/best picture fare that are (to me) just as enjoyable at home.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Since discovering Netflix, I no longer find it necessary to buy most DVDs. I'll only purchase if it's truly a great film that warrants, many, many viewings. Also, since most of the classics that I want are already on dvd, I tend to only purchase a few choice titles a year (last year was New World, Munich, KOH: DC, a few others), which is waaaaayyyyyy down from what I used to do before Netflix. Financially it makes more sense. That's the bottom line. As for HD, I see no reason to upgrade at this time.

Regards,
Nathan

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Nathan:

That's a similar approach that I take. Basically, if it makes it onto my top 10, I buy it (with some exceptions) and the only way I buy non top 10 movies is if it is part of a series of films that I overall enjoy.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Today i just bought 6 DVDs for less than $30. How can you go wrong? This is stuff i can rewatch again. I have over 800 DVDs and only have 3, well, add 6 onto that, that have yet to be watched. I watch my favorites over, and over. Bet i have seen Blade Runner 40 times in the last 25 years, movie theater, VHS, LD, widescreen LD, DVD. If you buy to feed some addiction, but not really caring if you watch the discs...dont buy. If you worry about obsolete formats, dont buy. Guess what something will replace HD DVD too. Enjoy today, its all you have for sure!

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

Haha...no, I've been buying them for about 8 years now, plus all the movies from prior years that I like too. :)

Sten F

Second Unit
I won´t be buying any HD-DVDs or Blu-Ray disc for many, many years to come. They have not come off to a good start. Too many problems. Furthermore, all the extras on HD-DVD is not even in HD at all. And the substantial better sound & image is not that present to favor the new format. Heck, we don´t even know if HD-DVD will last, yet! There are so many unknown factors unanswered to swap SD-DVD to the new format. It just isn´t worth it.

I´ll stick to my SD-DVD collection counting 800+

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I only buy movies I re-watch. As a result, I own around 200 or so (been buying since late 1999). I will eventually upgrade them to HD if that whole thing settles down - and then just sell the SD DVD. However, it will be years before many of the titles reach HD (if ever). However, I still will buy a SD DVD if it's something I want and re-watch.

JoePassmore

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, standard DVDs for me until there's a CLEAR winner between HD & Blu. Totally not worth it unless I have countless millions of dollars. Maybe not that much, but you know...

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
As mentioned earlier, there is no reason to stop buying DVDs. HD and Blu Ray will play them. So, if either format really catches on, all your DVDs will still be playable. Unlike laserdiscs. While I loved them for many years, I can't tell you the last time I had it hooked up. It is a bit more difficult to hook up an old laserdisc player, or even a VHS player, than it will be to watch a standard DVD in the future.

As for buying DVDs, I have cut WAAAAY back this year. I don't know if it is the DVDs coming out or what, but I've bought fewer films this year than any year that I've had a player (and I got one very early on).

And, I've also pretty much stopped blind buying. With Netflix, there is no need to spend $20 on something that you may or may not watch more than once. If I like it, I will then buy it. But if I don't, then I've saved $20.

That has basically been my standard to buying something. Will I watch it multiple times? If not, then there really is no reason to buy it. And, if it is a big Hollywood film, you know that in a few months, it will be in the under $5 bin at Circuit City. No reason to buy it when it is first released.

I still have I don't know how many hundreds or thousands of DVDs and, as much as I hate to admit it, many are still sealed. I don't even have room for them, have countless boxes filled with them. I try to thin it out every once in a while, sell some on Amazon, but I always think "Well, I may want to watch it one day".

I guess that is a problem.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Renting dvds instead of blind buys makes lots of sense. But to rely on rentals instead of a collection you own just boggles my mind. I want to watch what I want, when I want, and not have to decide days ahead of time, wait for it to show up, and then feel pressured to quickly watch it to get the next dvd in the queue. Not to mention the fact that the dvd might be scratched, or could easily go out of print and no longer be available for renting.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
I have just 75 DVDs, and that's plenty enough for me. (Hell, eyeballing my collection, I can see 10 which I haven't watched yet. Thanks, DVD Aficionado!) So I'm probably not the best person to jump into this conversation, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

From my perspective as someone who has a small collection (due to a pretty miniscule DVD budget), HD isn't even an option for at least a few years. But there's still some quality titles out there that I look forward to - the Superman set, the multi-disc Blade Runner, and a couple others that I'd like to snag that I haven't gotten around to yet.

Besides, I can't see studios ditching DVD just yet. Perhaps in a decade or so, but not now, when Joe Public has embraced DVD. (And as Jon pointed out, HD players are going to be backwards compatitble anyway...)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I've been going back through my collection and trying to rewatch many of my older titles, but I have been extremely disappointed at the number that no longer play due to faulty manufacturing. Tonight I discovered yet another title that has rotted, which makes about ten in the past month. I don't know if I'm just fluking out picking the bad ones, but if this is any indication, the thousands I have spent on DVD was only good for the limited viewings I've had. With even higher data density I doubt any future format will be better in terms of longevity. Assuming that these discs will play in the future is a guaranteed thing. Enjoy them while they still work.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I've never rented a DVD in my life! I'm one of those HTF oddities who actually goes to the movies so I when the DVD comes out, I already know if I like it enough to actually buy it or pass.

I suspect many HTFers who feel an ennui about their DVD collections are not into Classic Cinema. They have all their Spielberg and Lucas titles, their Lord Of The Rings and their Batmans, SpiderMans, Supermans etc. and are just killing time until they can rebuy them again in HD.

For the Classic cinema lover, the studio catalogues are a barely untapped well so yes, WE, continue to buy up a storm.

Stan Rozenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
I've been going back and forth between renting on netflix vs. buying. I find renting on netflix has its own set of limitations, as noted above. I always feel the pressure to watch something NOW, and get it out of the way, so as to go on to the next title in the queue. There are also times when I want to go to the next dvd in the series, and guess what! I have to wait for them to ship it.

For maximum flexibility, I prefer to buy everything I want to watch for the best possible price, and then sell off what I am not interested in keeping. I have set up a pretty efficient system of selling on ebay, so getting rid of dvds will not be too much of a hassle.

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui

Absolutely!!!!

I adore classic cinema, and have around 11 box sets on pre-order before the year ends. I would be lost without the plain old, run-of-the-mill DVD. I will continue to buy up big time. I have very few DVDs of movies which are more than ten years old. So DVD is a damn blessing!!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Exactly!

I have over 2,000 titles in my collection. Most of the DVDs I have
only watched once...some never.

For me, this is a collecting hobby.

I have stopped buying standard DVDs. After experiencing HD-DVD,
I can't bring myself to buying SDVD titles anymore.

I'm also sadly going to say that as much as I am also going to
avoid repurchasing a lot of content on HD-DVD, it is going to be
a difficult refrain.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
But collecting DVDs isn't like collecting rare pieces of art, or stamps or coins, where all you do is look at them. With movies, the idea is to take them out of the packaging and play them.

As for HD and BluRay - well, it hasn't taken off anywhere that I can see. Seems D.O.A.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks