What's new

Is Costco phasing out DVDs? (1 Viewer)

TimJS

Second Unit
The coupon says Warner Brothers/HBO TV on DVD Assortment & $20 off with coupon.

The following is illustrated with cover art:

Deadwood 2nd Season
Carnivale 2nd Season
Sopranos 5th Seaason
Six Feet Under 5th Season

There are 3 numbers listed:

118465 ($44.99 after coupon)
118466 ($39.99 after coupon)
118467 ($22.99 after coupon)

Valid Aug 21 through Aug 27th (also available at Costco.com).

Jay*W

Second Unit

Brian,

I think he was referring to the Hitchcock Signature Collection from Warner Bros. rather than the Masterpiece set from Universal.

Jay

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Damn, glad I checked -- I was planning to head over and pick up Rome. :frowning: Oh well; it'll probably be included in a Holiday sale.

Checking the Costco website, it appears that all seasons of The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Carnivale, and Deadwood are on sale.

Any opinions on whether Deadwood Season 2 is worth getting?

Doug^Ch

Second Unit

Deadwood Season 2 in my opinion was every bit as good as Season 1 - maybe better. Entertainment Weekly gave it an A. You can't go wrong at the sale price.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Just picked up that Deadwood set -- all of the HBO sets linked to the coupon were bundled with a sampler disc that contains 1 episode each of 4 different HBO series. I *think* they might have varied, but I forget -- my Deadwood Season 2 came with samples of Big Love, Entourage, Rome, and Deadwood (:rolleyes).

Also: Star Trek: The Original Series season sets at $45 apiece!

No sign of a reduction in DVD inventory.

kathy_badkarma

Auditioning
I've noticed the deterioration of the DVD section at Costco over the past 8 months or so. The DVD sections in the four Costco warehouses I visit are easily half the size they used to be -- maybe less.

I used to be able to get all of the TV boxed sets I wanted there the week of release. Now I'm lucky if I see them two weeks later -- if then. But by that point, they're already in my DVD bookcase, because I've bought them at Best Buy once I see that Costco doesn't have them. If I wait past the Saturday of the week of release, I end up paying full price.

They still have the movies they think will be hits, as well as series like Dave Chappelle, The Family Guy, etc -- but don't look for Rat Patrol or JAG, because you won't find them (though they had Medium and NCIS 2 weeks after the official release, and I was shocked to see HOuse 2 there yesterday).

And their prices here (northern NJ) are easily cheaper than the release-week sale prices in Best Buy or Wal-Mart.

Bill Coolidge

Stunt Coordinator

Well since they stopped selling pretzels, I don't even get lunch there, although $1.50 for a hot dog and a drink is still cheap.

I too have noticed the halving of the DVD section and am pretty mad about it. DVD's along with the famous Costco Rotisserie Chicken are one of the big factors for my family's membership. It's hard to justify the membership price increase to $50. It seems that what Costco really wants to sell are bigscreen TVs.

kathy_badkarma

Auditioning
Bill, I think they still sell pretzels in the Jersey stores. I'll have to check next weekend when I go.

Yeah, that rotisserie chicken is great -- and so are their croissants (my weekday breakfast, and my husband takes one to work for a mid-morning snack). Our four dogs are addicted to the chicken tenders dog treats they carry, too (and so are the dogs of three of my coworkers -- I end up shopping for them every couple of weeks. I feel like a chicken-tender pusher at times). They have decent prices on bottled water, too, and quarts of heavy cream are half the price our supermarket charges.

Big-screen TVs, and high-end jewelry. That's what they want to sell. I just want to buy groceries at a reasonable price. Their warehouses certainly aren't convenient for me -- the closest one is a half-hour away.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Pretzels have been gone from my store for over a year. I've also noticed a huge increase in the big screens they sell.

The DVD selection is still greatly reduced but at least they got in a large shipment of Warner and Fox boxes recently with some very attractive prices.

kathy_badkarma

Auditioning
Are the Warner and Fox boxes new releases or older? I've seen a lot of older stuff, but the new releases are sadly lacking. I was very surprised to see House Season 2 there on Wednesday.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
A mixture of new releases and back catalog, Kathy. For Warner, I've seen the Stewart, Reagan, Bogie/Bacalll, Fonda, and Noir 3 boxes, all of which are new. They also have some good prices on Hitchcock, Day, Miss Marple, Keaton, Laurel & Hardy, and maybe some others.

For Fox, they have Mr. Moto, Jayne Mansfied, Gable, and Will Rogers all of which are new releases. The first 3 are $29.xx and Rogers is $35.xx.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
LOL... spent around $250 at Costco last week getting Sopranos 1-5 and Deadwood 1-2. KILLER deal right there considering the MSRP of each set (it was something like 56% off in all).

My Costco's DVD selection is still quite big... I'm going to guess this is by store because my parent's Costco (I'm in Orlando, they're in Fort Lauderdale) practically has no DVDs... it's probably 1/3 the size of our selection with mostly new releases.

For DVDs, I wouldn't dream of buying most new releases there... the only thing I go for is deals like this recent HBO one, which seem to come up every once and a while. I also go there for gas and that sweet $2.50 hotdog/churro/coke deal ;)

kathy_badkarma

Auditioning
The HBO sets are out at a great price -- If you watch those shows. If you don't....

I've bought new releases there for about 8 years now, ever since we got our first DVD player. You could always count on the new releases being there, and at the best price you could find. Now, it's just the opposite. The big releases, maybe, and backstock if the distributor makes a deal (this week, there were lots of the new slim cases of SG-1, lots of Angel, and the reduces price on Classic Trek) -- but no JAG, or Hogan's Heroes 4, or Lois & Clark 3, NYPD Blue 4, or Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Vol 2 (though they had Vol 1). My guess is they'll have Smallville 5, Boston Legal 2, Grey's Anatomy 32, and Medium 2, and the new releases of LOTR (man, talk about raping the fans -- this is the third version to be released), but I'm not so sure about the Animated Trek. .

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Hmmmmm....... muffins.......

Those things are reason enough to have a membership.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks