What's new

Ironside (Season 1) (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

No delay I'm aware of...I have been watching this off and on all week. Perhaps the e-tailer you're looking at sold all their stock and needs a replenishment shipment.

Steve

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
Actually, R1 discs (Canada & U.S.) are almost always released on the same day in both countries. However, in this particular case, "Ironside" will not be available in Canada until May 8...

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Maybe it was the fantastic job done with the with the Hawaii 5 O and wild wild west season two set and season 1 of Mission Impossible, but I have to say Shout factory does get a shout out from me. I'd give the set a generous C grade, the captures are poor , washed out and grainy, No closed captioning (which I like for late night insomia watching and hey shout is not have your target audience going to be over 60 for this set? ) ok mono sound, this set will look rally poor on any large flatscreen 32" or bigger. While ironside captures in this set is not as bad as anchor bays F- crime story second season dvd set, I dont think the ironside captures were as nice done as universal release adam-12 (yes I know the 2 sided dvd on adam 12 set have issues, but adam 12 on my 27 crt looked better than ironside). If I had payed full retail (59.99) I be very upset with this set, and another bummer was the usually in the past excellent deep discount dvd guys were a pain it was almost three weeks to get ironside set , Hey ddd guys USPS media mail = parcel post dont give a 7-10 day eta on shipping its 10 business day at a min and up to 21 business worst case my set got to me in 14 business days. I honestly have serious doubts about buying Ironside season two unless Shout commits to better video and sound quality for their sets. Maybe I need to get a netflicks subscription so I can watch these releases from second and third trier dvd companies and not be stuck with a set I only watch once.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Hi Bob,

I'm sorry your experience with this set was less than stellar. It doesn't mirror mine at all. I'll admit that the lack of English subtitles did bother me, but I suppose that goes with the territory on an independently released set where the budgets are smaller and they can't afford the thousands of dollars it takes to subtitle a set. Let's face it, if Shout! didn't step up to the plate here this wouldn't get released.

From my viewpoint, I thought the transfers were very well done and look fine on my 60" monitor. Are they as crisp as Hawaii 5-0 or Perry Mason? No, but I didn't expect them to be. There is some variability between episodes, but with some looking razor sharp and some a tad softer. But there are are no major print flaws and the episodes all appear to be uncut, a major plus in my book. Universal gave Shout! good materials from what I've seen so far. No problems with sound either on my set.

For reference, I just started disc 6 so I'm basing my opinion on discs 1 - 5.

It's been a long time since I've seen Ironside and it, at least for me, holds up very well. The guest actor list has been impressive and the chemistry between the lead actors is very good. I hope Shout had sufficient sales to warrant Season 2 and beyond.

Steve

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Yes surprising most of the eposides hold up very well and are fun to watch it almost like ncis of 1960's , it just Ive been spoiled by the hawaii 5-0 and mission impossible releases, the way everyone trashed the adam 12 set (which I though was ok ) I had higher expections for this set which werent met. Its by no means the worst dvd set Ive got (crime store the seasons 1 and 2 set is the hands down winner of the worst sets I own) I can live without 5.1 sound but I feel close captioning and better viedo captures are necessary to insure decent sales or it becomes a netflicks one time view . That just my two cents.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

These does'nt appear to remastered they are the same transfers I've seen for years in syndication. They are very soft for a series that is filmed. So I'm sure they went on the cheap to get these out on DVD

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Well, it's just Ironside, guys. This is Raymond Burr we're typing about.
Do you really want to see him remastered? :laugh:

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
This is the situation that exists when shows are licensed to independents. Companies like Shout work with thin margins to make these releases work. They simply don't have the budgets or the distribution network that allows for full scale restorations. The transfers are fine to me, but perhaps my expectations had already adjusted for this before I opened the set.

It's a matter of picking your battles here. Universal might have restored each episode a bit more, but outside of a few shows, they've abandoned quite a few releases and had a number of problematic releases. I'll take a full length episode that is perhaps a notch below in picture quality if the chances of subsequent seasons improves.

Jeff, your position as head of the Raymond Burr fan club is well documented in this forum :) For the record, my answer is yes! Burr rocks as an actor, although Barbara Anderson is the real eye candy here.

Steve

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I agree about Barbara Anderson. She was a hottie and I thought she was great, but that's not reason enough to buy this show. (I'd rather buy Barbara when she looked even better....with longer hair in the 1970s on Mission: Impossible or when she guest starred on Hawaii Five-O).

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Yes I agree I fell for negetive reverse hype(peeps hate the universal dvd set releases so much, but were overly giddy about the shout release) My expections were too high. Also I read in a earlier about people have a hard time find the Ironside set, I agree, the only retail store i could find it was worst, oops Best buy and they wanted 59.99 thats why I bought at DDD. If shout wants to to be sucessful its got to get it sets in more retail stores, other than the dvd high price leader best buy

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Agree with you Bob about Shout needing to get their products in other places besides Best Buy. I can't remember the last DVD I bought there; their prices just aren't that good. They aren't going to move any units of Ironside at a $60 in store price. DDD charged $35 and change and that's where I got mine from also.

It's interesting to note that Burr's use of "flaming" as a quasi curse word drops off throughout the first several episodes and ends completely. If I had to guess I would speculate that NBC's Standards and Practices had a hand in this.

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Yes unless its a sunday paper intro week special I never buy dvd sets at best buy because,their the high price dvd leader on almost all their dvd's. I think the Flaming thing was cute at first but soon weared out its welcome Like excessive use of the F bomb in movies. One of the funniest parrodies Of brian depalms "Scare face" on utube or somewhere is a 10 min stream of clips of every time the F bomb is used in the movie. Most peeps even get tried of it about 4 minutes into F bomb short version of scare face, anything can wear out it welcome no matter how funny it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks