Ironside (Season 1)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by 70sTVlover, Nov 22, 2006.

1. 70sTVlover

70sTVlover Stunt Coordinator

Seeing as Perry Mason is out on DVD I am wondering if anyone knows anything about the possible future release of Ironside season 1?
    Any info is highly appreciated including the company that owns the rights to Ironside. Thanks

2. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

Universal has the rights; as such, I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that we won't be seeing "Ironside" anytime soon.

3. JeffWld

JeffWld Stunt Coordinator

Rumor has it from inside the industry that "Ironside" was on the list of shows that Universal was shopping around in an attempt to offload to an independent. Unfortunately (as is Universal's way), they were asking for outrageous licensing fees that were not attracting any takers.

Universal will never be accused of being adventurous when it comes to dealing with their vast back library of TV product.

4. Mary_P

Mary_P Second Unit

There are a handful of episodes out on a single disc in the UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ironside-Ray...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

I haven't heard any rumors about R1, though, and as others have noted, since it's a Universal series, I'm not holding my breath. I sure wish they'd get their act together and start releasing some of their older series.

5. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    When Universal had their infamous booklet of future releases several years ago Ironside was one of the shows listed (do a search at Gord's site and the story will come up). Obviously it never came to fruition.

I am disheartened by JeffWld's comment that Universal wanted $$$ to license this out. Although out of widespread syndication for many years I have very fond memories of this show which was well written and featured a very capable group of actors.

Hopefully Universal will reconsider their fee for this.

Steve

6. silverking

silverking Guest

1st Season due for release Apl 24 ?

7. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Source? Link?

8. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Raymond Burr gets on my nerves!

The only things I liked about Ironside was the theme music (the improved 1971 version) and Barbara Anderson (who quit the show in 1971).

9. silverking

silverking Guest

Deep Discount DVD -UPCOMING RELEASES

10. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

Great find. Wow, Universal actually digging in to the vaults. Knowing them I'm sure one season is all we'll see but hey at least it's something. I just hope the 2-hour pilot movie is included as well.

11. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

Please seek help [​IMG] Between Perry Mason and Ironside there are 17 seasons and well over 450 episodes of Mr. Burr to savor. The list of actors who can claim a lead role for that length of time is mighty small. Heck, I'd even buy Kingston: Confidential if it ever came out.

12. David Brent

David Brent Stunt Coordinator

Oh man, I REALLY hope this is the case!

I love Ironside - an intelligent, engaging crime drama ahead of its time.

I just hope the releases prove popular enough that we get all the seasons, including the later ones with Elizabeth Bauer as Fran Belding - haven't seen those in YEARS!

Roll on April!

13. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Gord's news story (http://http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/n...fm?NewsID=6684) about this says SHOUT! is releasing this. That's good news in my opinion. They will not have the sales expectations that Universal will have and we stand a better chance at getting multiple seasons released. [​IMG]

Steve

14. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

No help required. I can watch something with Raymond Burr in limited doses. He was OK in a 1958 SUSPENSE radio series episode though, in which he played a writer of a radio drama series who plots the murder of his boss on the air! Of course it was a good script that carried the story, and not Burr. He was still guest starring on radio after he already started as Perry Mason on TV.

15. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

That's great news and maybe it will pave the way for the major studios to license out more vintage series that they (the majors) would never do on their own. Universal is not new to licensing; in the early days of DVD, they licensed some of their theatrical features to companies like Anchor Bay, Image, and even the budget Goodtimes label. Given Shout! Factory's track record, you just know that this set will be done well.

16. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

17. silverking

silverking Guest

Yep, Burr did a lot of TV episodes, but I think the king would be Peter Graves
    Mission Impossible , Court Martial, Whiplash , Fury,Call to Danger. Don't know what it adds up to but together with his brother James Arness must hold the record for family appearances in TV series.

18. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

Absolutely! Gunsmoke itself was well over 600 episodes plus various reunion movies. Burr's PM portrayals (including reunion movies) is only half that (just shy of 300). For Graves, he hosted a number of BIOGRAPHY episodes for A&E also which adds to his impressive resume. I suppose Andy Griffith deserves mention for the combined tallys of TAGS and Matlock plus a forgotten series or two he had in between.

The artwork Bob posted (thanks!) wasn't what I expected (cast shot) but I warmed up to it since it does reflect the opening credit sequence (what I remember of it anyway).

Steve

19. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    Fantastic news! Universal, keep those classic crime shows coming! [​IMG]

20. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

Yeah, keep them coming to Shout Factory, whom I'm sure will go beyond the typical Universal one and done.