What's new

Ironside (Season 1) (1 Viewer)

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Hey! I'm getting rather pumped up about this release! I was kind of on the fence on this one given the $59.98 MSRP but DDD has it listed for under $36.00! Eight discs (so presumably single sided), 28 eps. +2 Hr. pilot, 1967-68 crime drama, and with Ruta Lee, Susan St. James, Lee Grant, and Vera Miles? I think we may have something here. I may have noticed some excellent male actors appearing in this set as well...

Amazon is kind of weirded out with their listing on "Ironside". I see three separate entries there.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Yes, no split-season nonsense here and I'd guess that the discs will be single sided, dual-layered. And if one is a little patient, you could hold out 'til DDD's semi-annual sale (assuming they have it) and get the set for under $30 shipped. Despite the apparent lack of extra features, this is shaping up to be one of the better classic TV-on-DVD releases for 2007. I really hope this does well and paves the way for more licensing from the majors.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks Bob for the PR! Great news about the pilot.

The lack of extras doesn't bother me so much here as I'm not sure what would be meaningful. Actors tend not to remember much from 40 year old series.

On-line discounts make this quite affordable and I plan on buying immediately to show SHOUT! my appreciation for this and to encourage them to continue releasing additional seasons. This show is one of the lost gems of crime drama. Very well written and acted but not much exposure in recent years although it was heavily syndicated for awhile.

Wasn't there a cross over episode that served as a pilot for AMY PRENTISS? If so, let's hope that gets included also.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
I left a post at SF's community forums asking a few questions about the "Ironside" release and received a fairly quick response which should end some speculation about this set . . .

My original questions . . .

1. Are the discs single-sided, dual-layered, or are they "flippers"?

2. Are there any extra features besides the inclusion of the pilot movie (thanks very much for including it in the set)?

3. Is the artwork posted at Amazon.com the final artwork for the DVD release?

Thanks for any information that you can provide.

SF's response . . .

Ironside is very cool series. Shout's release is 8 DVDs. The discs are single-sided DVD9's (dual-layered). We have never released "flippers."

Sorry, no other special features except the movie.

And yes, that's the final artwork on Amazon.

Enjoy!

So, with this bit of information and SF's press release, I think we have all the key information we need about season 1 of "Ironside."

SOLD!!!

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Another great series in my hands on Friday, and of course they look very good as well. Nice to get more location shots of '60's San Fransisco - between this series and The Streets Of San Fransisco I may feel like I lived there! One thing that stands out in the Pilot movie - how often he uses the word "flaming" - it ended up getting somewhat hilarious after awhile. Those of you eagerly awaitng this set will not be disappointed! Love the the Quincy Jones theme music.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
If you thought that was well-done, you'll enjoy Jones' awesome reworking of the Ironside theme in 1971 (the start of the 5th season) twice as much. ;)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

You must have good connections since this isn't due for another two weeks! I've had mine on pre-order on DDD for quite awhile now and anxiously await its arrival.

Thanks for the positive reports on the print quality. It's good to know that Universal provided good masters. I don't suppose you could confirm that the episodes are uncut? They should run about 50 minutes.

The pilot movie was very well done and for some reason the "flaming" comments stuck with me as well. Probably for the same reason it did you. Burr's talent as an actor really comes through watching him do a major personality shift in Ironside from Perry Mason.

The Shout Factory message board used to have posts from Shout personnel but they seemed to have stopped. That's too bad as this is one series I'd be curious to see if Shout has plans to continue (assuming adequate sales of S1).

Steve

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
It may not be to everyone's liking, but I thought the packaging was interesting, the four flaming slim cases ( 2 discs each ) come in four flaming colors - red, blue , green and purple against yellow lettering - dare I say Mod? Along with that each disc in the corresponding case have their flaming colors reversed. The red case has one disc in yellow with the silhouette of Ironside in Red with the second disc reversed. This is repeated in the other flaming cases ( blue, green and purple with yellow) Far out! Anyone know why the first episode aired Sept.14,1967 - and the pilot movie on March 28,1966 - assuming the dates are correct. Seems like a bit of a lag in production. Oh yeah, is there any reason the special van was painted black in the pilot and then appears gray in the first season episodes? ( I'm just curious ).

Lutz Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lutz
March 28, 1966 seems highly unlikely; in fact, PERRY MASON was still on the air at the time! I guess the pilot aired March '67.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
NBC aired the Ironside pilot movie on March 28, 1967. The series premiered in September.

By the way, if anyone has a picture of Barbara Rhoades in a red miniskirt from the first season episode "The Man Who Believed", please post a still of it here. :)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Thank you for the update Jeff - you would think perhaps that they would proof read the information to make sure there were no mistakes.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Brent, from what you've seen, do the episodes appear to be full length (50-51 minutes)?

Thanks,

Steve

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Steve, the running time for the first episode was 49 min. 54 sec. so they appear to be unaltered - if it is any indication.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Well, I had zero luck in finding this at any of my local stores today. Not at Best Buy, not at Barnes & Noble, and not at Circuit City. The Suncoast store only had the shorter (6 episode?) volume, and even had it incorrectly priced at the level of the full-season set! I really struck out. Guess I might have to order the darned thing.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Bert, I did see the 2-disc version at my local Walmart for $14.44, which is about fifty cents less than Amazon, but they didn't have the full set. Surprised to hear that Best Buy didn't have it. Season 1, volume 1 contains the movie-length pilot and the first 6 episodes (think the first two discs of the recent "The Untouchables" release and you'll get the idea). The 2-disc set looks like it was designed for brick & mortars that have limited shelf space and also for impulse buys.

DVD Talk has posted their review of the series and gives it a "recommended" rating:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read....=27739&___rd=1

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I got my full season set for $35.99 at DDD which is the best price I've seen anywhere.

The set is flaming fantastic from what I've seen so far. Attractive packaging, complete episodes, and high quality transfers.

I tried to do a count of the number of times Burr uses "flaming" in the pilot and it is close to 10. Even Barbara Anderson uses it once. Aside from all the flaming references, this show had to have been a bit racy for 1967. Don Mitchell wears a robe that says "The Mothers" (presumably referring to an athletic team) and there is a back side shot of a stripper that is quite revealing, although it only lasts for a split second.

There are some great guest stars on this set. I won't spoil the surprises by listing them, but I will say it was a treat seeing one Perry Mason holdover in the first regular episode: Lee Miller. He was Burr's double and played Sgt Brice in many Mason episodes.

My only nitpicks so far are (1) the repeated mischaracterization of the pilot as being from 1966 (not 1967) and (2) the lack of English subtitles. SHOUT! probably couldn't afford those.

Steve

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Perhaps the same proofreader who worked on Columbia House's liner notes, specifically for their small-plastic-case releases of the 1990s, is now on staff at Shout Factory since he/she is no longer needed at CH. I recall this gem from the Jack Soo tape in the Barney Miller series, re the WW2 internment camps: "he was interred with other Japanese decedents."

I can't wait to plow through the S1 Ironside set, as it seems to be well-done. I just watched my copy of season seven's "Riddle at 14,000," featuring the unusual casting combination of Desi Arnaz, L.Q. Jones and Ralph Meeker. "Flaming" aside, I couldn't believe what Mike Hammer called Ricky Ricardo in one scene (hint: Meeker assumed Arnaz came to the U.S. by swimming), but I'm sure Ironside and other series were trying to keep with the Joneses--or the Bunkers, more specifically--by 1974.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks