What's new

intersting news on LOTR status... (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
In some instances I actually like the theatrical versions better than the extended ones, especially where FOTR is concerned. However, being forced to buy a Total HD disc and the lack of interactive features like IME make this release a huge let-down. :thumbsdown:

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
One of those rare times when I would heartily endorse a mass email/phone/letter harrassment of a studio. This is nothing less than blatant gouging of the customer. New Line no doubt wanting to milk as much as they can to pay Peter Jackson. What a disgrace.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I prefer TTT in the theatrical version, but the extended versions of the other two. So I'll at least pick up that one.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I'm surprised at the response I see here. I think that Fellowship of the Rings and Return of the King are much stronger movies in their theatrical form, and The Two Towers is only slightly weaker. I also think that having the originally released version of each film is important for the sake of posterity. These films have become an important part of our culture, and I, for one, would like to own the versions of the films that originally won over audiences, irrespective of which version is "better."

I would, of course, like to see the extended editions released as well, but I'm just relieved to see that The Lord of the Rings isn't going to be one of those films whose HD release does not include the original verison.

It's a must-buy for me.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member

30's enough. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

As to the differing versions. Does anyone know if the seamless branching is better on the new hd formats? I would assume it would be. If so, given the room, that would be the way to go.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
For a film under 3 hours, there should be no issues with 30GB. I am assumming that is what you were implying.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

The only problem I have with this plan is that the extended editions (Return of the King in particular) are probably long enough that they'd have to be split across two discs, while the theatrical versions may fit on one. If that is indeed the case, then utilizing seamless branching means introducing an unnecessary break in the theatrical version. The recently-released seamlessly-branched standard DVD release of the trilogy suffered the same problem, which is why I'm glad to own the original separate DVD releases of both the theatrical versions and the extended editions.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
I'll probably Netflix this, but there's no way I'll buy it, even if it's the only release in HD. I found the extended version to be much better, and already own those in SD.

Also, as far as the 30GB thing goes, is there some sort of rule saying that you can't have a double disk set? This wouldn't bother me at all with extras.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

But the first two Lord of the Rings films are under three hours, and they apparently do have issues with 30GB, as features are being left off because of space considerations.

Rolando

Screenwriter
well I actually have both the OTC 2 disc and Extended 4 disc of each. Just a completist I guess. I like to watch the OTC once a year and then the EC later that year to remember the differences.

So that being said I would buy these IF there is a second disc (even SD) will all the features on the 2 disc to completely replace my OTC 2 disc DVD.

If not, no sale and I will just wait for the Extended cut on HD-DVD. I would get the Blu-Ray in a heartbeat if they did a different master/transfer/re-author to take full advantage of BD. However paying extra for a BD that has same file as the HD-DVD that is about $10 cheaper is an insult.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Well I love LOTR like most of you and am glad New Line is finally doing something but will pass on these. For me, the EE's are FAR superior in nearly every way possible. I haven't watched the theatrical cut since the EE's came out. I've waited this long and will continue to wait I guess. Dangit!

Looks like I'll be doing the upconversion thingy on my A1. :)

If space is an issue, then with BD's available 50g? disc then it should be ok?

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
I really hope that relations between Jackson and New Line don't become so bad that it prevents Jackson from ever contributing to future home video releases of Rings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks