What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

intersting news on LOTR status... (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm not optimistic on seeing TL51 HD DVDs by the end of the year. If this goes through, I'd expect next year would be more likely a time to start seeing the new discs. But that is just my gut feeling, and it may not even happen ever.

However, the 2GB increase in layer capacity is something that seems much simpler to "push through". CD capacity has increased since it was first introduced, and I wonder why this was never attempted with DVD? But it would be nice to see with HD DVD. Hopefully this will become real and will happen sooner than the triple layer (if that ever becomes real).

Having 34GB dual layer HD DVD would be nice for something like this if HD DVD is going to be the limiting factor on what is also done with the BD.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I only ever picked up the EE's of each movie, and as I like the theatricals too I'm gonna go for these. Besides, it's nice to be able to watch a LOTR movie in one evening. :D

Got me an amp with HDMI too, so I should be okay for some 7.1 TrueHD goodness. I only use a 6.1 set-up though, and I'm wondering how my Tosh deck and Pioneer amp will sort that one out. It'll be fun finding out!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
While I might be alittle disapointed that the theatrical is coming out first instead of the EE. But I am thrilled that there will be 7.1 lossless for these films. I can not wait to hear the mix and see how it sounds. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

I'd be in for that, even as a double dip. Audition clips would be very interesting, some of the deleted scenes might be too, but I figure if the extended edition didn't have them, there was probably a reason why.

Either way though, it's EE or nothing for me. No way I'd consider theatrical only releases, which IMO lack too much key material.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I highly prefer the EEs to the theatricals.

That said, I actually support the release of the original movies. Just like I support (and in contrast prefer) the original versions of the original Star Wars trilogy.

I think it's perfectly fine for people to say that they will hold out for the EEs, but I think it is within the right of New Line to release these versions. Are they going to make double profit? Sure. But they're keeping the integrity of the original theatrical versions alive by releasing them on HD and I'm not going to take them to task on that, especially since everyone and their mother knows that the EEs are coming.

Now if New Line said that they would never release the EEs, that those versions were destroyed, and then a year later released them contrary to their word, then I'd be upset.

And yes, this uber-nerd is going to buy these versions, just like I'm going to buy the EEs later on. I haven't been a huge fan of the movies that came out last year and none so far this year, so my budget is actually going to be fairly healthy come release time. Blu-ray titles are being released at a slow trickle so it's not like there's a hundred I want to buy that are competing for my dollars...I wish there was, but that ain't reality.

On the positive side, the slowdown of software purchasing for me means that I'll be able to save up for my new HDMI 1.3 receiver and TV for some time in late 2007 or early 2008! :D

Jack _Webster

Stunt Coordinator
I, personally, am very happy they are releasing these versions on their own. They deserve it. They made cinema history. There's a chill I get down my spine watching the theatrical cut of FotR that the EE will never rival. That doesn't mean I have to prefer the Theatrical cut, but the film I saw that historic night at the cinema should be preserved in the highest quality media available.

Also, there were many editing flubs made in the "Limited Editions" due to seamless branching, and this will ensure that no such mistakes become permanant on the hi-def releases.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
If they sell these individually, I will probably pick up ROTK. Though I would miss a few sequences here and there, I actually prefer the way the theatrical cut handles several story points.

The EE cut of the first film is indispensible to me though. I was not able to get into the material when I saw it at the theater, but the EE changed my attitude entirely, and left me entranced.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I will allway prefer the EE cuts and feel they add alot to certain sences that did not make sense in the theatrical cuts. But after giving it some thought I will be buying the original theatrical cuts once they become available. And with 7.1 lossless audio being offered, oh ya! :D

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
This is a toughie for sure. The problem I have is not being able to see scenes like the gift giving sequence in Lothlorian. That is such a majestic moment in FOTR that it feels empty without it.

TTT-EE had those wonderful flashback moments Farimar had with Borimar. Powerhouse moments for sure.

ROTK-EE showed the demise of Saruman, and of course the controversial Mouth of Sauron.

I'm certainly not consistent in my stance here and admit it.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
The theatrical versions were the ones that garnered awards and box office smashes. I just prefer the EEs by such a wide margin that I can't justify buying the theatrical versions again. I still own these on sd so at least I do have them....:)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
EE's only for me. The pluses of these versions outweigh any minuses they have in comparison to the theatricals.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Oh, I'm consistent :) I want choice, quality presentation, and to be treated like an educated consumer. So I have no problem bashing LFL for it's "maximize profits by selling nostalgia a piece at a time" while also complaining to New Line for releasing this collection piecemeal (starting with the theatrical cuts). I want BOTH cuts of LOTR. Clearly, the EE will get released in a more elaborate special edition later. But hopefully, NL will advertise that as they did with the DVD releases. I recognize the need for the multiple revenue streams...they learned their lesson from the Star Wars and Disney home releases.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I prefer the EE, as well. However, I doubt I'll have the patience to wait for the long wait to rent these so I will probably just purchase them.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Here's why I'm glad that the EEs are going to come out later (remember I prefer the EEs greatly):

First-gen titles always end up being poor A/V representations of the format. Remember the initial run of DVDs in 1997 that blew our skirts up? Those look like absolute crap now.

So while these first gen HD/BD titles are doing exactly the same thing, in a year or two they will really have the compression and mastering down, and since I want the EEs to be in pristine condition (preferable the LAST time I will buy those movies on a home video format) I don't mind waiting.

Plus it gives PJ that extra time to fix Gollum in LoTR :P

MarekM

Supporting Actor
I prefer EE, I bought only EE 4disc special editions..

but I am sure, I will be not able to resist DOLBY TRUE HD 7.1 :) on theatrical cuts....

Marek

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If it's a TotalHD disc, I won't buy it. If they're theatrical cuts on separate format discs either, I won't buy.

I've been tricked by double dip tactics on DVD too often. Not this time.

Do we know if these are true 8 channel re-mixes or like The Decent actually 6.1 with duplicated back channels for better decoding to LPCM for those with two back speakers?

I only know of Ghost in the Shell 2 on Blu-Ray to be the first true 8 channel release so far.

Dan

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
As to rumored 51 GB HD-DVD discs, they still have a flaw: their HD-DVD A/V bitrate peak allocations are worse than Blu-Ray, so they have to drop some features if they won't fit in one muxed stream.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

you are right about Ghost in the Shell 2, and I hope they will give us TRUE 7.1 !!! if yes, that we are in for some SUPER AMAZING TRACKS :)

Marek

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks