What's new

If the rumors are true, iPhone 5 looks like a DUD! (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by DaveF /t/319622/if-the-rumors-are-true-iphone-5-looks-like-a-dud#post_3911088
A dud like the iPhone 4S? Or a dud like the new iPad?

Either way, I hope to upgrade this cycle
Love my new iPad. But the 4S is crap. I traded my 4 for it last fall, and I have mixed feelings about it.. I've never made Siri do anything useful, and it's recognition for me is terrible; so it's mostly a toy. But the real issue I have with the 4S is that something since OS5 has absolutely killed my battery life. I am CONSTANTLY plugging the thing in.. if I start the morning at 100%, by mid-day I'm at 40%. By 3PM, I'm at 18%, and it's giving me constant warnings. VERY unimpressed with the 4S. Sorry.

Now, the new iPad.. LOVE it. So far I get good life out of it, it's a fun device, support is good.. but the 4S.. I'll be eager to trade it for what's next. It's a company phone, so I can go to whatever is next in line, but we were planning on buying 4S's, and since the five of us who got them all seem to have this issue with batteries, and we aren't buying people car chargers/etc.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Matt, I've had people tell me this before and I will tell them two things: One make sure you don't have any GPS apps running, and two if you are sure you do not then TAKE THE PHONE BACK AND GET A DIFFERENT ONE. that is not normal.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
...I have an iPhone 4 and was hoping to upgrade this year,
but unless there is a bigger screen on the way (which it looks
like there isn't) I may just be waiting another year to upgrade.
I said it before but, yes, I would need at least a 4" screen for me to upgrade to the next iPhone (currently I have an iPhone 4). However, if the next iPhone doesn't go that way, I will be checking out how the other half lives and would probably end up going with an Android or Windows phone device.

So, if the next iPhone doesn't have a bigger screen, from my personal point of view, it would be a dud/disappointment.

-Keith

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I don't really get why people are burning through their data plans with LTE. I'll like it because if I want to load a trailer or download a song, it will occur faster. This doesn't mean I'm going to start watching TV on my iphone just because I can. The data rate problem for me will not be a problem.
I do hope they have a larger screen. I've seen several "rumors" that it will. Apple has a lot of hype around this next iPhone release, I hope they can live up to it.
Speaking of "rumors", I just read one about a 5" retina display device in '13, rumored as the iPad Mini.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Keith Plucker said:
I said it before but, yes, I would need at least a 4" screen for me to upgrade to the next iPhone (currently I have an iPhone 4). However, if the next iPhone doesn't go that way, I will be checking out how the other half lives and would probably end up going with an Android or Windows phone device. 
So, if the next iPhone doesn't have a bigger screen, from my personal point of view, it would be a dud/disappointment.
-Keith
Windows is interesting but not a panacea. I wouldn't recommend you go android tho, I think that's just asking to be disappointed. See the fragmentation thread in the mobile forum, or just read this:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/im-sick-to-death-of-android/20242

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Well, I carry the 4S for work, so taking it back is kind of pointless. I've pretty well committed to replacing my Blackberry (oh, I've been such a loyal, loyal customer for YEARS) with a Nokia 900. We'll see. I'm a big fan of testing all the systems, and frankly, all my experiment with Android sucks. Too much is just flat wrong with that platform. Every windows phone I've played with I've liked, it's just been a feature here, a feature there that I wanted. The 900 seems like what I'll trade my Blackberry in for.
I'll keep my iPhone at work, and when the 5 comes out, I'm sure they'll switch me over.. they had two 4S's in our office almost immediately after announcement. So, I expect the same now ;) But I can still bitch!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I have a 4s and am fairly happy with it, I think even of the Iphone 5 was a major step I would pass on it this go around since i just bought an Ipad 3. I would be able to upgrade come october time, but I will be giving the latest Android and Windows phones a hard look then. When I upgraded to a 4s I almost went with a samsung Galaxy IIS, which I thought to be a very nice phone. Android is putting out some nice phones, they just put out too dmn many. I have an Asus Transformer Prime with Android 4.0 and it a good tablet. The Samsung Note is a decnt phone as well and a much larger screen. I agree back in the 2.3 versions Android was pretty Crappy, but it's gained alot since then. I will be weighing all options when I upgrade my phone again.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
mattCR said:
I am CONSTANTLY plugging the thing in.. if I start the morning at 100%, by mid-day I'm at 40%.   By 3PM, I'm at 18%, and it's giving me constant warnings.  VERY unimpressed with the 4S.   Sorry.
I also think this is an ios5 issue, not a 4s. my 4 now cannot go a day without being recharged, and my 3g speeds have decreased, but I still need to do more testing on that. I do a LOT on my phone.
Put me into the camp that they better not increase the size of the phone, I like it just the size it is, bigger screen sure, as long as they can keep into into the same form factor now (or mm bigger only), but definitely anything over a 4" screen is way to big.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Regarding larger size: I'm OK with the current 3.5" iPhone. It feels good.

If it's Lumia'd style, getting worse to get bigger (4.5" 800x480 screen), then no.
If it's a stretch-armstronged iPhone 4S (4.5" 960x640 screen), then no.
If it's Androided, iPhone 4S at 4.5" 1280x800, but has 30% fewer sub-pixels, then probably not.

But if a hypothetical new iPhone is a 30% more awesome, a resolution-correct increase e.g., 4.3" 1280x800 screen, I'd give it serious consideration. It would come down to how it feels in hand and how pocketable is it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm not buying this explanation but Gruber thinks it may have some inside baseball info:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/9/2937265/the-4-inch-iphone-5

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow. I mention bigger screen size (which many have already chimed
in that they would like) and I get knocked down by Sam citing that that
Apple would never consider such a thing.

Now, remarkably, Sam points to another article talking about larger screen size.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I smacked down your SOURCE not your content.
Verge and Gruber giving this credence is a lot more interesting than random hacker collective.
And I still think it will not happen. There is no reason for it other than to make a bigger area for battery to support LTE. The pain it will cause to both developers and users is not worth the appeal it would bring to the minuscule percentage of population who would buy an Android over an iPhone because of a half inch bigger screen.
We'll see.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Nope, you smacked down both and now you bring up
a link that touts a larger iPhone screen and still say that
you don't think it will happen (which is smacking down the
content, isn't it?)

To smack down a rumor source and then provide the same
rumor from another source doesn't make much sense.

But listen....nobody knows what Apple is going to do. I may
think that Apple is indeed working on a larger screen while you
do not and neither of us has the edge on what their real plans are.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Why would it be a big pain to developers? Nothing says they have to change the resolution? My guess is they won't. Much like all the Windows Mobile 7 phones out there with bigger screens but the same resolution dictated by MS. I'm willing to bet that the new phone will have a bigger screen just the same exact resolution.

Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/319622/if-the-rumors-are-true-iphone-5-looks-like-a-dud/30#post_3915398
The pain it will cause to both developers and users is not worth the appeal it would bring to the minuscule percentage of population who would buy an Android over an iPhone because of a half inch bigger screen.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Because iPhone developers, the good ones anyway, care about things enough to template out ergonomics to the point of meticulously designing down to the pixel level. Changing the aspect ratio is no small deal. Pillar boxing to adapt will be as bad as a 2x button, perhaps worse.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Think of it this way: changing the AR now would be tantamount to Apple saying "look, we were wrong about this from the start". There is no good reason for them to do that. There are plenty of bad reasons. If they DO go down this route, and again I don't think they will, they will need REAL good spin for the reasons they do so, or not address it at all and just leave it unsaid causing even more angst.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sam Posten said:
Windows is interesting but not a panacea. I wouldn't recommend you go android tho, I think that's just asking to be disappointed. See the fragmentation thread in the mobile forum, or just read this:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/im-sick-to-death-of-android/20242
Disappointed? Let's see... 4+ inch screen, 4G LTE, lots of quality free or low cost apps, great integration with my Google account, and a phone that works very well (despite the propoganda put out there by some folks). Yeah, i have been really disappointed in my Android phone -- or the previous one I had for almost two years :rolleyes:
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I get tired of reading comments like this from people who have never owned an Android phone.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by dmiller68 /t/319622/if-the-rumors-are-true-iphone-5-looks-like-a-dud/30#post_3915448
Why would it be a big pain to developers? Nothing says they have to change the resolution? My guess is they won't. Much like all the Windows Mobile 7 phones out there with bigger screens but the same resolution dictated by MS. I'm willing to bet that the new phone will have a bigger screen just the same exact resolution.
Bigger pixels is a bad solution. Apple won't do it (my prediction).

The article is reasonable. But my opinion is that if Apple releases a larger phone it will be a 4.375" screen with 1200 x 800. Same pixel pitch, same screen aspect ratio, but 25% larger on each side.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks