What's new

I have a quick question (1 Viewer)

luckydan

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
I have a 58 inch plasma and I dont know how high to mount it? The couch we bought wasout of stock when we went to pick it up. So I have no couch yet and it will be here on the 15th or 16th. I want to get the tv up so I can run all the wires for the 7.2 surround sound system. How high should I mount it?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The TV should be mounted so that the center of the screen is at or slightly above eye level from the primary seating position. You should be able to get the dimensions of your couch from the store and estimate the seating height from that. The last thing you want to do is mount the TV so high that you have to raise your head to see it, as this will just cause neck strain. (As many people who let an interior decorator talk them into mounting a TV above their fireplace can attest.)

Regards,

Joe

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Ideally, the center of the screen should be eye level, when you're sitting down. People love to mount them on the walls, but it's really not the ideal place for them. That's more of a designer's concept, than practical use. Everyone has their reasons though.
Good luck!

EDIT:
My slow typing let Joseph slip in............

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I personally would use a stand to put your monitor on. That way you can hide the wires going to it and it is already going to be pretty much at eye level. You can also rearrange it with the furniture if you so desire in the future. Having it mounted in one place pretty much keeps your furniture in one spot from then on. Stands aren't that expensive and can add to the decor of the room. They don't have to be huge. And they can also give you a place to put your receiver, DVD player, etc.

Parker

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I think Parker makes a very good point. I've never really understood the obsession with wall-mounting TVs anyway. 99% of us are going to have - at a minimum - a cable or satellite box to connect to the TV, possibly an old VCR. If you've got kids, there's a game system (or two.) Now throw in an AV receiver and some speakers if you want a real home theater experience.

All of that hardware has to go somewhere regardless, and having the TV stuck up on the wall in a fixed location only adds to the problems (physical and aesthetic) of hooking everything up. The placement of the center channel speaker becomes especially tricky And, as Paker rightly notes, it becomes much hard to rearrange the furniture later if the TV is basically bolted to the wall.

I think wall-mounting is one of those ideas that sounds good ("You can hang it on the wall like a picture") until you actually try to make it work in the real world. Then you discover all the problems it creates. ;)

Regards,

Joe

cmchen0

Auditioning
Real Name
Jimmy
You should really consider a table stand with A/V mount rack on the side. Wall-mounting creates too much problems. This is just my own opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks