What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: The Hulk - Special Edition (1 Viewer)

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
competent technical director who would never have filmed entire fight scenes in the dark so that the screen looks almost completely black
Which scenes are they? I saw some that were dark, but none that look almost black. They all were detailed enough to see the action to me.

Chris

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
Am I the only one who sees alot of edge enhancement on this dvd? This is the only film I've watched so far where EE has distracted me from the film. Its especially prominent along all of the borders of the frames when the comic-like divisions appear in the film. Also in the desert, telephone poles almost lookede as if there were three poles instead of one. Granted Im watching a 105" screen, but I figured someone else would mention this. Overall, I like the movie though, with good color rendition, and a decent story, a tad on the long side, but I really enjoy these comic based films.

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
To each their own. I think Lee handled the film magnificently, and because he delved into the drama that the story demands, the film truly shines.
Drama? Do you mean the overly long and boring scenes which introduce cardboard characters played woodenly by the actors? I never cared about the characters in this movie. I don't think most people did. That is why it died at the box office while Spider-Man soared. Sam Raimi knew what he was doing. Ang Lee was clueless. Spider-Man had every bit as much drama as the Hulk. The difference is that Raimi made me care that Peter's uncle died. I never felt anything for anyone in the Hulk. Ang Lee took the souls out of the characters.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Brain fart, I was thinking it was on the Spider-Man DVD, but now I remember seeing it on the Scorpion King DVD :b

Chris

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
Which scenes are they? I saw some that were dark, but none that look almost black. They all were detailed enough to see the action to me.
Both the fight with the dogs and the final fight with Bruce's father were dark beyond belief. It was almost impossible to follow the action.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the review!

I must severely disagree with you, though, on one point. In the beginning specs for the film, you mention that the running time is 137 minutes. I remember discussing this with my wife after sitting through this gem. We agreed that the movie must be AT LEAST 4-5 hours long. I want those hours of my life back!! To whom must I write to get this resolved!!!

Kevin

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Edge enhancement is also extremely minimal
I thought that overall the DVD looked great, with the major exception of Edge Enhancement. In certain scenes, it was very noticeable and distracting. Otherwise a top notch transfer.

I had very low expectations going into this one, but I definitely found it to be very enjoyable and entertaining. I also thought the editing was great, which is ironic in that many of my friends hated the split screen approach and found it distracting.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom

Obviously, you didn't get the point, weren't payin' attention, didn't see the bigger picture, etc. I didn't feel anything for the characters in Spidey. The film was overproduced & obviously thrown together in a rush or Spidey would've looked much more real instead of like a rubbery CGI. And I mean "in a rush" outside of the legendary battle of several years to get the film made. Sam Raimi is better than the film we saw last year.

Ya know, sometimes I think that people who rant n' rave & compare one comic character with another one are doing so in the hopes that we'll see a "versus" film in the future, say, Hulk vs Spidey.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Drama? Do you mean the overly long and boring scenes which introduce cardboard characters played woodenly by the actors? I never cared about the characters in this movie. I don't think most people did. That is why it died at the box office while Spider-Man soared.
you're right, it did die at the BO and i've haeard many people express the same opinions you have vis a vis the characters and first hour.
to me, the drama clicks.
i have empathy with Bruce, and think Nolte straddles the line between scenery chewing entertaining and understated meance very well.
with this culture producing so many children who have little to no relationship with their biological fathers, i would have thought this aspect of the film would have had more resonance, but i guess not.
i have many of the same complaints you do with this film, towards the Matrix films.
especially the 'cardboard characters and wooden acting'.
however i think the big difference between the two, is that in this film, Bana had the thankless (and not very showy) role of having to play someone who is compelling himself to be emotionally inert.
thats the fuel that drives the rage that drives the hulk-the desire to be emotionally whole and healthy.
i thought it was a fascinating movie.
but to each his own.

Britton

Screenwriter
I just though all of the characters were soulless, brooding, bores. I can understand why Banner was repressed, but Betty Ross was just a female version of him. Maybe dating Bruce made her broody and emotionless as well, but she seemmed a little too sedate whenever Bruce/The Hulk was threatened. I don't want her flailing her arms and screaming, but geez, she was almost inert.

Also, Ang Lee's attempt to use panels and neat transitions was way more distracting that it was unique. I didn't need to see 2 angles of Banner opening a door and my viewing experience was not enchanced by showing 4 different viewpoints of the helicopter in the desert.

Ang Lee's art house comic book movie was a failure. And can anyone tell me what went on during that final fight scene?

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Also, Ang Lee's attempt to use panels and neat transitions was way more distracting that it was unique. I didn't need to see 2 angles of Banner opening a door and my viewing experience was not enchanced by showing 4 different viewpoints of the helicopter in the desert.
I didn't find it distracting at all. And who was claiming that it was "unique"?

You do realize that this is a movie based on a comic book, don't you? The "panels" as you call them gave the movie more of a comic book feel. It obviously didn't work for you, but it did for me and many others.

Britton

Screenwriter
I realized he was trying to do comic book panels, hence my usage of the word "panels" in my previous post, but you don't have 4 different views of the same thing in comic books because doing so would waste 22+ pages.

Oh, and I'm the one claiming he was trying to be unique.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I don't want her flailing her arms and screaming, but geez, she was almost inert.
You would be too, if the French Poodle From Hell was after you, and staying in the Car Of Tinfoil and praying for your luck to hold out was your best chance for survival. ;)

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I think the main problem is that everyone went into this film expecting a summer blockbuster type Spider-Man movie. That's never been the kind of story the Hulk is, though. I loved what Ang Lee did with it.

Ben Rockwell

Agent
I finally got around to watching this movie last night, and I can say that I really enjoyed it. I had heard enough to not expect an X-Men-like tour de force, and I really appreciated the tone and pacing of the movie. I never got bored with it, and I was drawn in from the opening credits (which looked similar to X-men, which were similar to Fight Club...).

I enjoyed the performances. Sam Elliot pissed me off (I guess that's his character), Nolte creeped me out (seemed like that was the intention), Eric Bana seemed to just kind of be there, but so would I if I didn't know my past or who I really was. Jennifer Connelly is just great to watch...she could be sitting on a park bench and it would be amazing to see.

I enjoyed the score also, as well as the comic book like editing. The menus were also top notch. Unfortunately I don't have an HT set-up so I couldn't take advantage of the 5.1 sound, but the picture looked fine on my TV.

THis film was a pleasant surprise and certainly worth the $3 and 3 UPCs I paid for it. Let's hope we see some more Hulk soon...

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I rented it this weekend and I regret it. I regret it because I wasted $3 on it because now I just have to go out and spend another $19.99 on buying it. I loved this movie. I skipped it at the theater due to others reviews on this forum and the trailers. It did not seem interest me much. I usually do not let others reviews sway me in what movies I want to see but in this rare case I did and wish I didn't. I was so glad that Ang Lee took a different approach to this film. He skipped on all the fluff and comedy that everyone seems to need in movies today. This is a much darker and serious film. I thought the characters had a lot of depth and passion and for those who say Bruce Banner was lifeless and withdrawn, that was the whole point of his character. I also liked Nick Nolte as David Banner.

To each their own. I think Lee handled the film magnificently, and because he delved into the drama that the story demands, the film truly shines.
I totally agree.
I give the movie :star: :star: :star: :star: 1/2 out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: .

So you know how I feel about the film content itself, now how I feel about the quality of the dvd.
Simply outstanding. The picture quality had almost a 3-D look to it, I sat there and thought to myself how much better can the picture get. This kind of dvd make sme say,"Who cares about hd-dvd?" This was a flawless transfer and I saw very little if any edge enhancement. This really is a "REFERENCE" quality picture.
PQ= :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Sound quality was no different than the picture quality. Very clear dialogue, very active surround sound and the LFE literally moved stuff on my coffee table. This will be the dvd I use to wow people and show off my home theater.
SQ= :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

I guess I will be purchasing 3 comic book movies tomorrow. The Hulk,X Men1&2.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I rented it this weekend and I regret it. I regret it because I wasted $3 on it because now I just have to go out and spend another $19.99 on buying it. I loved this movie.
Great line! You had me going there for a minute!

My reaction was extremely similar to yours Jeff. I rented this as well, and was hesitant and not expecting much because of some of the negative reviews. I loved it. Probably more than I should.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks