What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly CE (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
So, do I understand correctly that the cut of the actual film on the new disc is 18 minutes longer than the cut on the previous DVD release, plus there are a couple of other deleted scenes on disc 2 in addition?

If this is indeed a different cut of the film, that would put me over the "worth a double-dip" edge.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

That is correct. Some of the restored footage (within the film) on the new DVD is available as a separate feature on the old disc but separately from the film.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Ive had mine since the 11th-Canadian mail order at $18.

The new transfer is beautiful-though the voice additions are a little jarring-, i just love this film, Leone and Morricone-GBU is a Masterwork!

I only hope FAFDM gets similar treatment, and FOD gets an anamorphic transfer

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As they say in Les Mis...

One day more... :D

"The anticipation is killing me...I hope it will last..."
- Willy Wonka

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Worth a double dip for the clean up and sound alone."

Yup, although Im nervous about the new scenes. I hated the added scene in Enter The Dragon with the soundalike doing the dubbing.

Off work this week so Ill be a CC at 10 am tomorrow to pick this one up:D

Real Name
Anthony
Yes, I got this today. Believe me, you will not feel like you're double-dipping with this one. The print is transformed, the extras are solid if not Quadrilogitastic, and the packaging (miles better than the R2 UK) is sumptuous.

This is the best DVD of the year so far,imo. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
Got mine today and disc two was a floater :angry: and is really scratched up. Seems this is happening more and more.
Jim

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
O/T of Ugly. I was hoping for a better transfer for "A Few Dollars More" back in 1971 I paid the outlandish figure of $15 for a vinyl LP in Italan to have the soundtrack. You see I do like this movie, The G, B, & U never turned me on.
I liked that musical pocketwatch, I din't know there would be 2 of them.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

The image on the new DVD is indeed slightly cropped on all sides, within the same frame. But the picture quality is so much better on the new release, finer details and more vibrant color. I know this movie backward and forward and didn't notice any cropping until I did a side-by-side comparison. It shouldn't stop anyone from buying the new DVD.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I work at Barnes&Noble.com and noticed this movie just tonight. As an owner of the DVD set of all 3 movies, I'm also interested in getting this upgrade, but why was this new DVD version cropped at all? This news makes me hesitate with my money.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yup. Having read quite a few of Robert Harris' threads on various aspect ratios...it's enough to make your head spin! As long as it's not something egregious (like 2.35 misframed to 1.85) I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. WB has done a marvelous job on these 2 disc SEs (the ones I own) that I'm at least partially convinced that the "good DVD staff people" they have are devoted to these projects.

Having said that, I'm buying this today and will compare them when I get home. If it really is a noticeable difference I'll post again.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Hey all,

Be careful taking that back sheet off this package! The mack sheet with the details on UPC is glued to the back of the case. In the past I've never had a problem with getting these off of releases from Fox and such. However, this one tore the paper off the back of the case even when I was going slowwww.

Also, my disc two was a floater. Not real crazy about the packaging on this set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks