What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly CE (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
I've found the "DVD Double Amaray Original" case at:

http://www.sleevetown.com/dvd-case.shtml (scroll down)

I've had good luck with ordering from them, and plan to reorder along with a friend to get more cases at a lower unit price.

These cases (and printouts from dvdcoverart.com) have saved me lots of shelf space - not to mention that some of the downloaded covers are better than the originals.

Real Name
Anthony
I'd stand by my initially enthusiastic reaction but add a few caveats.

The synch on Wallach's revoiced sections is way out, which seems odd.

The transfer is good but not on a par with that for ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST.

I'd agree that, while the packaging is very nice (like I said, check out the R2 UK !) it is rather cheaply done. That, however, is often a problem - THE GODFATHER was the same. It looks all nice and textured but when you look closer you realise it's just plastic and fairly badly applied to the box.

I'd still have no hesitation in recommending this set though I will be keeping hold of my original disc.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
I am going nuts waiting to watch my copy. I am too busy to do so until tomorrow.

Then I am having a nice Western Day of the Good, The Bad, And the Ugly, along with Wyatt Earp.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

The synch isn't off. He's just saying somthing completely different in the recent voice-over than was said during filming on the set almost 40 years ago.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
YES, the movie is too long. Or at least it is now because of this useless cut of the film. What the hell were they thinking??

I wish they would use the branch feature because this version loses alot because of the rather pointless added in scenes. They were deleted for a reason. The one part where Tuco winds up in a cave before starting his revenge quest to find Blondie, and you hear some voice over of an obviously old Eli Wallach saying something like, "if you make a living working, why do you kill yourself working?" But Tuco isn't saying this line (which actually repeats twice for added confusion and disappointment)so it must be some voiceover. But what the hell is the point of the stupid voiceover?? The film grinded to a halt because of this! The original cut is superior.

And the redubs are pretty terrible as well because the actors redoing their lines have totally different voices because of much greater age. It is VERY distracting.

I wish this review had noted these changes for the worse better because I do not consider this version "highly recommended". I wish I had stuck with my older copy that at least had the true version of this great film on it. All of the Lucas-ing around with movies nowadays is very stupid. And this is the latest outrage.

NOT highly recommended!!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

This is the original cut, or at least as near we are going to get to seeing the film as it made its world premiere in Rome.

Distributors were always trying to force cuts on Leone so they could get more shows in per day; but I agree that seamless branching would have been a better option.

---
So many films, so little time...

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Yes they were. They were deleted by order of the studio because they wanted to cram in as many theater viewings per day as they could when it was released in the United States. Leone was *completely* against this, and was forced to cut some 20 minutes from his film when he didn't want to. Watch the supplements to get the complete story. You may not like it, but you are viewing what the director wanted you to see. Inform yourself.

Randy Schissler

Stunt Coordinator
I just got rid of my copy of the previous version, in anticipation of getting this new version. But now after finding out that the packaging is taller than a normal DVD, I'm ticked off. I think that's ridiculous and there's no excuse for it. If I can't store it with all my other DVD's then I don't want it

Roger_R

Second Unit
Oh no! The box is almost 2cm taller your average amaray-case! OH NO!!! WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME TO??? Of course, instead of spending money on a new transfer, a near-complete cut and extra features they should have come home to you and measured your friggin' shelf.

Randall Z

Stunt Coordinator
YES, the movie is too long. Or at least it is now because of this useless cut of the film. What the hell were they thinking??
I totally agree. I was very disappointed with this version of the film. I don't care if it was the original version. It simply wasn't as good as the one that I've seen for years. The added scenes really hurt the film. I was looking forward to this DVD very much. But considering the mediocre transfer, the disappointing sound remix, and the added scenes, I am thoroughly underwhelmed.

Oh well, its still a great movie, just a not as good as it used to be.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Randy thanks for the screencaps comparing the 2 versions. As a result I am much more content with just keeping the old version I have because apparently there's more cropping than I would prefer. :)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I didnt really care for the cave scene, but its easy enough to skip it if I want to.

As for the packaging(Which I dont like),years ago I started storing my DVDs in 2 large bookcases which easily solved the problem of different size cases (tins, etc)

Dan M

Second Unit
I just came from Germany and while there I watched FRAILTY on dvd with my German friends. The title was DAEMONISCH which translates as demonic. The German translation for frailty would be Fragilitat among others......go figure

I have 5 poster cards as well

And whats up with cropping of the image? Why do that? This is a movie that begs to be viewed w i d e as possible.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Soundtrack question--there are a couple tracks called Marcetta (Marcia) and Marcetta Senza Speranza (Marcia Without Hope). Maybe I'm being dense here, but who's Marcia?

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo

Shane, I also had the same experience with the package with the addition that Disc 2 was loose and rattling inside the package. Let me just say I wasn't a happy camper about that.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Roger_R wrote:No. They should have measured the standard height of all other DVD cases, so that collectors who maximize their storage space, won’t have to spend the time and money to replace the storage container the DVD comes in. :angry: Also, not being able to benefit directly from the collective ability of the case.:frowning:

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks