What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Complete Fourth Season (1 Viewer)

Steve_Ri

Auditioning
Thanks for the review. How do most watch this show while watching on a wide screen tv ? In the stretched mode or normal ?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
If the season containing THE SEARCH 1 & 2, SECOND SKIN, THE DEFIANT, IMPROBABLE CAUSE, THE DIE IS CAST, THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS, and THE ADVERSARY is "weak", I can't wait to see what the show is like when it gets in high gear!!!
Oh, you ain't seen nothin' yet. :) I wouldn't call the first 3 seasons weak, either, but it does indeed get even better from there.

Glad to hear you've gotten into the series, Rob. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
For anyone in the Philly area who wants to get ahead, Channel 48 will start showing DS9 5 days a week on Monday at 11PM, but unfortunately the DVDs are too far ahead, averaging 1 season every 5 weeks, they'll only be on 5 when 7 comes out ;)

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Season 4 was where the ds9 saga pretty much kicked it into gear. Theres no looking back from here

capt

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
I was just curiouse if the 3rd season dvd set had less then ten section 31 files. For some reason I recall 10 for the 1st season, 10 for the 2nd season and about 7 for the 3rd season. Can anyone confirm this for me?? thanks

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
Thanks for the review. How do most watch this show while watching on a wide screen tv ? In the stretched mode or normal ?
Hang your head in shame for even thinking of that question.:D

Seriously, though, as a 4:3 programme it should be watched in 4:3 mode. Simple as that.:)

LisaDoris

Stunt Coordinator
I really can't wait until next week for this. The Visitor, Home Front, and Paradise Lost are some of my favorite episodes and S4 is really when DS9 started to kick butt and take names.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Yeah, once Sisko shaved his head and got the goatee, the series went badass with him. Now if only I can dig up some cash for this beauty...:emoji_thumbsup:

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I just finished Season 3 over the weekend, and there were only 7 hidden files. Instead of hunting around for all of them, I just used the title key to advance one title at a time. If memory serves me right, there were only 15 titles overall on disc 7 of Season 3, whereas 1 and 2 had 18 I believe. I've been getting mine on release day at best Buy so having the bonus disc has been nice-I especially liked the Defiant feature on Season 3's bonus disc. Can't wait for all the seasons-thankfully after having to wait two more months for Season 5, there will only be 1 month waits for 6 and 7.

MattJ

Auditioning
Does anyone yet know if "To the Death" has been issued uncut on the season 4 DVD set. Apparantly, the episode was cut by about 45 seconds for US TV transmission. What version of this episode is on the disc? Paramount's original episode, or the aired version which was cut?

I need to know whether to buy the R1 or R2 release, as the episode was only cut by 6 seconds in the UK.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I wasn't aware of the cuts.

All I can tell you is that the running time on the R1 release for episode 496, "To the Death," is 00:44:57.

-Scott

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I was lucky enough to receive my season 4 set early, and I've done some viewing and a lot of experimenting with playback of the theme.

First the bad news: The distortion in the opening notes of the theme is still there, even though the theme has a new mix.

But now the good news: This is definitely hardware-dependent, and oddly enough the variable is the player, which is something I haven't seen in a long time. As best as I can tell, this problem only appears with Panasonic players, and only with older models. It can be reproduced without fail on my A310 and H1000 (the latter was released at the end of 1999). On a more recent Panasonic (the DMR-E80 recorder) and an older Sony (the original 7000), everything was fine.

I confirmed these same results with a season 3 disc.

So now I know why more people didn't report this. My thanks to everyone here for helping me track this down.

As for season 4, I'm already through the first disc, rediscovering wonderful episodes that I haven't seen since they first aired. What a series!

M.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I got the set a few days ago and have been doing all
ds9 all the time. Watched the first 5 discs and damn i am glad these dvd's have come out. A year or so back a a bunch of my tapes were ruined so most of my 2,3 and season 4 were down the tubes. Here they never replay ds9 so i was stuck. But its fun rewatching some of these episodes after such a long time. Cant wait for the final 3 seasons. those who have not seen them are in for a treat. well i was just popping in with a post from the city.

capt

Brent Smith

Agent
Hi Scott,

Thank you first for the wonderful review on this set.

The one thing I want to thank you for is the confirmation on my fear of the chapter stop issues "continuing". Who at Paramount can we complain to about the shoddy placement of the opening (post teaser) chapter stop? I know it isn't a big thing, but I for one don't want to sit through the opening credits ALL the time to get to the story since you never seem to know on which discs/episodes has been hit with the issue. I own multiple set of other series and I have never seen this problem crop up before. Perhaps you or Martin at Paramount can shed so light on why this is happening and why no-one has caught it (or perhaps cares about it enough to correct it) yet?

Thank you,

C. Brent Smith

Brent Smith

Agent
Hi Jeff,

I am beginning to formulate a theory on it why it hasn't been caught, and it may not be entirely Paramount "fault" (although they do have some QC issues they need to fix) In reviewing some of my home recorded tapes (yes I still have some of them (beginning to fodderizing most to save on cost of new tapes) and have noticed that in some cases the home recorded tapes and the display as to where the DVD's pickup are in some cases almost identical. I am thinking that someone is going off the old timing sheets for commercials breaks(not realizing that the commercial breaks are now unnecessary) when doing the editing and placement of the chapter stops, thus messing up the opening (post teaser) of the disc. The only thing that punches a hole in this theory is the inconsistency of the issue (some disc's have it some don't, etc..).

I for one would be really interested in hearing a response from Paramount on an issue that annoys fans on one of their prime "cash cows".

Thanks,

C. Brent Smith

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
The chapter stop thing is definitely annoying, but I've basically just learned to live with looking at the time code right before the opening sequence starts, and then I just punchin the time + 1:45, which generally lands me right where I want to be.

P.S.-I have a Philips player and have not heard the distortion issue either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks