What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Complete Fourth Season (1 Viewer)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I attribute this to looping, rather than any sort of encoding problem. Check all the characters in the scene... if one is out of sync while another is in sync, it's not an encoding problem.

This is especially noticeable in the scene with Sisko, Worf and Dax (I believe around 15 minutes in... but I don't have the disc with me now). Sisko is "out of sync," but Dax is synchronized perfectly. It actually looks as if a word of Sisko's dialog was changed in "post," during looping, as well.

In the first scene after the credits, some of Worf's dialog seems a hair out of sync, but when we cut back to his brother, it's hard to tell... it certainly doesn't call attention to itself if it's off.

It would be interesting for someone with the episode on tape to compare the questionable scenes with those on disc... but given my observations, I'm going with a looping error.

-Scott

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I just checked out a few random scenes including the one at the 13:00 mark, and it looked good to me with both the 5.1 and 2.0 tracks.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Confirmed. I too checked out selected scenes in "Sons Of Mogh", including those mentioned. The sound looks like it matches up just fine on my Pioneer LD/DVD player with both Dolby Digital 5.1 and standard 2.0 sound.

Harry
...first post!, online...

AlexSchwarz

Stunt Coordinator
Does anybody know if there will be alternative covers for DS9 seasons 4-7 like there are for the whole TNG show and DS9 1-3? I keep checking the site but nothing yet.

Is anybody from this forum doing those, by the way? If so, great job! I don't want to push, just curious :) (I only print out the package inserts and put them in the boxes because the booklet has just German titles)

Thanks a lot! :)

Alex

By the way, I was talking about these

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I'm the guy! Been working on DS9 season 4... it should be done by the weekend, maybe sooner

Ric

AlexSchwarz

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Ric,

you're doing an amazing job there! :)
Even if I only use the inserts because I really like the boxes, your work looks great.
Are you planning on doing Voyager as well?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Probably, although I may wait until a few seasons are already out. I think I'll need to get inspired for that one!

Ric

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
A question and a comment on the episode "To The Death"...

First,

Weyoun is apparently vaporized at the end of the episode. How is this possible? I know Weyoun is involved in many other episodes in the later seasons. Did they ever explain this?

And, I noticed the credits rolled at about 43:45, whereas they usually start around 44:20, so it would appear this episode was a hair shorter than most. A fight scene begins right before a commercial break, and fade out to commerical seemed pretty abrupt. I know there was mention of some fighting being cut-possibly from the point mentioned?

Britton

Screenwriter
Andrew, the answer is below:
The Founders have genetic samples of all if not most Vorta and can clone them at will. Each time Weyoun dies, he shows up again. It never got to the point where he was like Kenny from South Park, but I'd wager there were a total of 3 or 4 Weyouns during the show's run.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
more on your question about weyoun-some minor spoilers

ok there were/are 9 weyouns. 1,2, 3 we never see on screen, Weyoun 4 died in to the death,weyoun 5 died of a "accident" as Damar put it, the 6th one was in faith trechary and the great river who was gonna defect to the federation alliance, weyoun 7 was the 6th replacement in the same episode and he died by worfs hand in late season 7. Then there was the 8th which garek killed in what you leave behind. HOWEVER in the ds9 books which continue the story there is a Weyoun 9 which showed up in the lastest book Rising Son

Kevin Crays

Agent
Oh, you ain't seen nothin' yet. :) I wouldn't call the first 3 seasons weak, either, but it does indeed get even better from there.

Glad to hear you've gotten into the series, Rob.
Not only are they not weak, they really set up so much that happens later on. Until I watched in on DVD, my recollection of Ep1 Season 1 was it was ok, but not great....and maybe that's true. But unlike TNG, where aside from the trial and Q himself, there's nothing that ties it all together.

That first episode has a lot of foreshadowing in it. And we learn so much about the characters. OTOH, early episodes show Rom as a much different character. Not a goofy, nor as nice.

Like many shows, they weren't sure where they were going for the 1st 2 seasons...maybe even 3. But for the most part they used what happened in the first 2-3 seasons and built the rest of the show on that. Characters change in ways that surprise you, yet are within character.

This is by far my favorite ST show. And unless Enterprise starts getting better, it'll be the last ST DVD set I get.

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Note to self... Get through Season 3 before Labor Day so I can pick up Season 4...

DS9 is, IMHO, the best of all Trek incarnations. I have stopped watching TNG, TOS, VGER altogether. ENT is on probation, waiting to see how the new season starts...

But, I can say this, DS9 will be the ONLY Trek series I buy on DVD.

nicholas_g

Stunt Coordinator
I'm the guy! Been working on DS9 season 4... it should be done by the weekend, maybe sooner
Ric you may like to know that the so called better 'R2' cases that I took photos of are now cracking the discs. I have had to replace all three seasons of DS9 so far and also the first season of TNG is affected.

The disc holders are putting too much pressure on the middle of the discs.

Your covers has been valuable, I have had to put all the discs in amarays.

Look forward to the new covers.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Nicholas,

I'm glad to hear that the R2 packaging was not all it was cracked up to be! (Glad for us R1'ers anyway) Season 4 should be available on both this site and DVD Cover Art soon.

Ric

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Ric,

Where on the HTF are your covers to download?

Thanks, Todd

ps-I also hope you do Voyager cases.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think the covers may have been taken off of the HTF because of Fox cracking down on DVD custom cover sites.

Edit: Or not. :) See the next post.

It's getting to be that sad time where I am over halfway through the set and facing a month and a half (or more) of waiting for more DS9. I could pace myself, but it's hard enough limiting myself to one a night. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks