What's new

HTF REVIEW: Kung Fu - The Complete First Season. (1 Viewer)

Terry H

Second Unit

It is also a feeling I'm dismayed to see expressed at HTF. I thought this was an OAR advocacy forum.
I really enjoyed this show but there is so much available on dvd I should thank Warner for making it easy to cross this off my list.

Ken Wilson

Agent
George and Terry,
Like I have said already, as others posting above, we do support OAR, but we're not fanatical about it. The reasons we bought this set are quite clear, and we don't need to be criticized about it.
I suggest, again, that you aim your energy and criticisms at Warner Bros., where it may do some good.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I agree with Ken. I don't condone MAR releases, but the time to complain is when something can and will be done about it. This TV series will not be remastered or retransfered since it came from a new high def transfer, so the only one you are hurting is yourself for missing the show.

Contacting Warner about your displeasure with how it was handled is good, but not supporting the release will only lead to the first season being the last on DVD.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I was going to pick up a copy for my father (who loved the show) but the MAR presentation was not acceptable.

I understand where you guys are coming from, but I have never been one to choose my battles based on whether or not I think I can win them, but rather on my feelings of what's right and wrong, and for me supporting a MAR dvd release is wrong. In short , It's a matter of principal.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
So Brian - despite your father's love for the show - does he care about the MAR issue? - you are imposing your values on your father and denying him the opportunity to revisit this show?

That doesn't present a problem to you?

At the least you could explain the aspect ratio issue to him and let him decide.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian

Not at all. First I know he would not want it cropped and secondly I fail to see how this would be imposing my values on him, even if he felt otherwise, It's not like I have a say in what he can spend his money on. Personally I never liked the show Kung Fu, So if I where trying to impose my values on him, I would not of considered buying him something that I consider to be junk in the first place.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member

Thanks George. I really appreciate this comment after trying to be respectful of your opinions on this matter. Make your own decision as your priorities dictate, but please spare me the innuendo.

- Walter.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Walter,

I'm sorry if my comment offended you, and I do respect your rights to buy this set or not as you see fit. However, when tons of fans of a show say, "geez, we really, really wish this were OAR, but we love the show so much we'll buy it anyway, even though it is MAR", I can only think that a studio must think "Well we don't have much financial motivation to do this OAR. Even though that's what the pro-OAR fans want, they're going to buy it anyway."

This is just my opinion about the message that is being sent to the studio by buying this. I may be disappointed that so many people are willing to buy this, but it's your right to do so.

I think we all are pro-OAR, but some of us are more rabid about it. I am certainly rabid not only about OAR, but also edited versions. I passed on MTM because of the Xmas show edit. Many people did not. It's a free country, but a free marketplace is a misnomer, since we vote with our pocketbooks, and unfortunately, what does or does not sell leads to limits in terms of what is available in the so-called free marketplace.

Again, I apologize if what I've said offends you, but as far as I can tell, I am simply expressing an opinion about the message buying this set and then complaining sends to Warners, which is "we might be holding our noses, but we're buying anyways".

Terry H

Second Unit

Good! I can't imagine why I'd want another chopped up season when I didn't want the first.
Money speaks a thousand times louder than a lousy email. I show support for OAR with my wallet and urge others to do the same.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps I over reacted George, Thank you for the followup clarifying your position. ( and no hard feelings )

*Most* of the time I am in agreement with you with regards to OAR and editing issues, but this was one set that I could not pass up. As to which course of action is preferable ( purchase / complain or boycott / complain ) I tend to believe that not purchasing the set will only communicate a lack of interest in the show, not disdain for the MAR'd presentation. But that is just my opinion.

As I said before, I hope that season 2 is released in 1.33:1 and that season 1 will be re-mastered ( I would purchase season 1 again in the proper format, BTW ).

Cheers,
Walter.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

There’s nothing wrong with anyone’s refusal to purchase this set based on principle. I’ll be brutally honest, whether or not Kung Fu sees a Season Two release, isn’t really high on my list of priorities. I can appreciate for many, it is. And I hope for that very reason, they do get their next season, not only released, but released in its proper AR.

As for choosing one’s battles, to infer that picking them based on whether or not they can be won is, well… missing the point. They should be chosen with at least the good sense of whether the increase in blood pressure will prove worthwhile and with the good sense of whether or not you stand even a fleeting chance of being successful.

Whether or not people interested in this set actually purchase it (or refuse to, for that matter), is entirely up to them.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Anyone who buys it knowing about the cropping should therefore also be completely OK with panned and scanned movies.

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
I was at Best Buy last night and there were three copies of "Kung Fu" on the shelf in the TV Shows isle. All three boxes looked really beat up. There were several more copies in the Best Sellers section that looked fine. Never known Best Buy to put out DVD's that looked as bad as those three boxes of "Kung Fu" did. I thought that was interesting.

- Randy

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

Then the only message Warner is getting is that people want Kung Fu, because it is a big seller. It has been among Amazon's top 20 DVD sellers ever since it went up for preorder, and it continues to sell well there--No. 11, currently. It's No. 12 at Best Buy. Top 50 at DVD Empire. Pick a retailer.

Sean*O

Second Unit
Who all did not see this coming?

Personally I will be picking up and enjoying the set. Like many of you, it was a show my dad and I always watched when I was a (very young) child.

Kevin Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
Mr. Barry Meyer, Chairman and CEO
Warner Brothers Entertainment

Dear sir:

Although I am glad for the opportunity to buy the DVD release of "Kung Fu, season 1", I regret that I can not support your decision to release this DVD set in modified aspect ratio.

Please understand that the vast majority of potential purchasers of this DVD set belong to two groups:

1) Home theater enthusiasts who are highly committed defenders of the sanctity of the material's original aspect ratio, or

2) Uneducated late (non) adopters who don't even own a widescreen monitor.

Neither of these groups will appreciate the MAR version you have released.

While I have looked forward eagerly to the release of this title, I find myself in the uncomfortable position of wanting to be able to own it, and at the same time needing to send you a clear message that you can not comntinue to release (only) titles in MAR.

Thus, it is with great sadness that I have decided that my only alternative is to buy a bootleg copy. I hope you will use this feedback to help you in future business planning.

Regards,
Ima Idjit

Just kidding! :D

Disclaimer: This post was intended for the public and private entertainment of it's intended audience, all of whom have a working sense of humor and none of whom will misconstrue this as actual advocacy of theft of intellectual property. If you were offended, please accept my apologies.

Terry H

Second Unit

I'm not surprised and the message they're getting is that people want more of the same, just as George says. If they even read your emails, which I doubt, they will be completely overshadowed by the sales figures.
I'm really dismayed that some HTF members who denounced pan & scan and laughed at Joe Six-Pack have changed their tune now that the shoe is on the other foot. :rolleyes

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I finally picked up the set yesterday at BB and have watched the pilot and first episode. Despite the MAR, overall I'm pleased with this treatment. The MAR doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. But to be clear, OAR would've have been preferred. I NEVER buy movies that are P&S, and IMO to purchase one DVD set of an old TV show that's MAR doesn't make one a 'sellout'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks