What's new

HTF REVIEW: Kung Fu - The Complete First Season. (1 Viewer)

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator

Maybe not but it sends the wrong message to the studios. The studios see big sales and think hmmm they like widescreen huh? So they release another in widescreen, then another. How many shows have TOO MUCH sentimental value that would cause you to break down again and buy another MAR DVD set? "Happy Days" and "Laverne And Shirley" are two shows that I really really want. But if they released them the way they released "Kung Fu", I would pass on them. I'd hate to but I would. On the other hand if widescreen becomes the norm because consumers begin buying sets for sentimental reasons ONLY, then I'll have a lot more money to spend on other things.

- Randy

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I really think the fact that Warners is releasing other older shows in OAR--Gilligan's Island, Dukes of Hazzard--shows that this was not a decision made to appeal to widescreen advocates. It really does look like it was a decision made by someone close to the show. After all, it actually costs them more to make anamorphic transfers than to release them OAR. Plus, as everyone here knows, Warners has really turned around in the last few years. I don't think this is a sign of a disturbing trend. Still, I support efforts to let them know the move is unacceptable. It would be nice if they would explain the decision in any case.

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and IMO to purchase one DVD set of an old TV show that's MAR doesn't make one a 'sellout'.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your joking right? I've lost all respect for those who bought the sliced and diced "Kung Fu". So inactuality, if YOU like the DVD, it doesn't matter what the OAR is? I hope we never see you poking fun at Joe 6 Pack(A nickname now meaningless & forever tarnished here) again. Typical elitist attitude.

There should be a POSTED sticky list on the Forum who purchased this:)

Amazing.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
I watched this show as a child, but don't remember it too much. I will rent the first disc to see if it is as good as I once thought, but I will not honor it with a purchase.

If it were a show I loved, I may be able to look past the MAR factor, but I could never look past the Asian racism by the producers. The part was written for Bruce Lee (coming off his work on Green Hornet I believe) but given to Carradine because America would not accept a Chinese actor playing a Chinese role. I can hardly tolerate when voices are dubbed, but to dub a whole character, that is unacceptable to me.

However, it is one of those shows that helped mark a decade, and to me is worthy of a rental.

Chris

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

The character was half-white, half-asian. I don't know if it was originally written that way or not, but if so, then unless Bruce Lee is only half-asian, then he wouldn't be any more appropriate for the role, racially speaking.

The odd thing is, that if it was racism that drove the casting, the show ended up being very anti-racist in it's message.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
Chas_Michael, you've never seen me poke fun at 'Joe 6pack' to begin with, so your statement about such makes no sense to me.

And, you can lose all the respect you want for those of us that purchased this DVD set. We really couldn't care less about your approval or disapproval.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

If the stories are true, the part was written for Bruce with his help. In the end it was determined that he was too Chinese looking to play a Chinese character, and that America was not ready for an Asian star.

While I'll agree that the show has good morals, it is ironic to me that those putting it together did not.

And since it has been years since I've seen the show, I'll reserve my thoughts on Carradine's acting and kung-fu ability until I can screen it again :D

Chris

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
Jeff Pryor Chas_Michael, you've never seen me poke fun at 'Joe 6pack' to begin with, so your statement about such makes no sense to me.

And, you can lose all the respect you want for those of us that purchased this DVD set. We really couldn't care less about your approval or disapproval.

Cool the nasties;). I'm getting teary eyed:) Some of us do care that you/they don't practice what you/they preach:)
For the past 4+ years, I've always felt this was an OAR preservation site. After reading the vast bitching about Pan & Scan, I'm shocked that ANY members here would support a butchering? Widescreen at any price? THAT'S the MESSAGE one's sending when they PURCHASE this! I didn't know the OAR thing was adjustable for convience:) Pox on it!

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
"America had never really had an asian-american person on TV. Unless you count Kung-Fu. Except David Carradine wasn't really Chinese. So, in fact, that show shouldn't have been called Kung Fu, it should have been called..."Hey, that guy's not Chinese." - Margaret Cho

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Chas - reread the review again. Specifically the part about choosing which battles to fight.

We do support OAR. We are also realistic enough to realize that a re-release of this set is not going to happen.

Now that we know what is transpiring here we will be voicing our preference for OAR to Warner. This is a more fruitful and mature approach to take.

DVD sales have gone far beyond the point where a small percentage of discerning consumers is going to have any impact by boycotting product. During the early days of DVD such a strategy had more merit. I am highly dubious of it's effect today.

One must learn to adapt to a changing market place.

You do not agree with such an approach? Fine that is your right.

Please refrain from passing moral judgements in the matter. In such cases there is no right or wrong.

"You must learn to govern your passions, they will be your undoing."

Peace

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
QUOTE:
Please refrain from passing moral judgements in the matter. In such cases there is no right or wrong.

REPLY:
Please refrain from moderating/repremanding...Who do you think you are?

I found Jeff's comment quite personal. Guide your repremands toward that:)

Please refrain from using the term Joe 6 Pack, It's quite MOOT now:)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Lou, that may be true, but if the changing market place becomes one in which every tv show and movie you want that wasn't filmed 1:85 is either pan & scanned or cropped & dropped to fit that ratio, are you going to adapt by buying all the butchered product?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma

An extreme example. In that situation my answer would be no. I would look elsewhere for the product I wanted.

We are nowhere near that situation now. Hence my current stance.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma

Chas - chill. You're taking things too personally. Since you don't have any problems dishing it out you should be mature enough to be able to accept feedback.

Peace.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
It was confusing to we how on the show Kane would walk into a bar and they'd call him a "Chinaman", where no one in real life would ever make that mistake (even if they were inclined to use such terminolgy). It's like they were saying pretend this character/actor looks different.

Which reminds me, A horse walks into a bar and the bartender says "Hey buddy, why the long face?"

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Chas, within all that vigor and candor, you have a legitimate point. There have been many disagreements in this thread, but we have managed to keep the heat on simmer.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
It's true....anyone buying this set knowing about the cropping should therefore also be completely OK with panned and scanned versions of movies.

They should also not mind when Warner releases the beloved POLICE ACADEMY 4 and 5 in open matte.

OAR is OAR, people.

GarySchrock

Second Unit

I don't think I'd say those two equate completely. It's a judgement call for people who recognize that the odds are very small that this will ever be released in it's proper format. Reality is, it's not too likely that this is ever going to be redone in the 4x3 manner it should be. So, one can either be a zealot and scream and yell that because it's not in its original format it's unbuyable and people buying it are idiots, or be a realist and accept that in this case the fight is lost, and decide whether the value of the material is worth overlooking the changed aspect ratio. That decision is something that only each person can make for themselves. I know that while I vastly prefer that I get the titles in the original format, there probably are a couple of things I'd be willing to consider breaking down on if I thought it was the only way I'd ever get it. That in no way means I think pan and scan is ok.

Personally I'm not buying this series anyways, regardless of formatting. I'm mainly watching this thread to see if anything definitive ever comes out about why this was done. Now, I have to admit I'd be more interested in the legend continues series, which is one I actually watched some of, this original series was before my time.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Gary,

Then why would you ever not buy a pan & scan dvd? Almost all of the stuff coming out pan & scan is unlikely to ever come out in it's correct aspect ratio, so like you said, the fight is already lost.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
George, Gary has addressed that point with this statement -

"and decide whether the value of the material is worth overlooking the changed aspect ratio"

As Gary stated, the quality of the material in this particular case takes precedence over issues involving the OAR of the series. This does not mean that every full frame / P&S / modified release is purchased, supported, or even tolerated. That seems to be the big point of contention in this thread, an "all or nothing approach" by those boycotting the set vs. "a qualitative judgement" wherein the content outweighs the presentation by those purchasing the set.

Off the top of my head, I own 3 non-OAR titles:

Chariots of Fire - To date, this has never been released in its theatrical A.R. I've owned the VHS, LD, and DVD releases and they have all featured a zoomed open matte presentation. I'm looking forward to the upcoming SE which will finally be presented in letterbox. Still my alltime favorite film since my first theatrical viewing in 1981. It is inconceivable that I would not own this title, regardless of the presentation.

The Karate Kid - Bought this in a moment of weakness. This may have had more to do with when it was purchased when I was still waiting on a number of bigger titles. (???)

Kung Fu: Season 1 - Perhaps my alltime favorite television series.

I've been purchasing DVDs since 1997, so I believe 3 titles in 7 years isn't too bad when it comes to supporting OAR presentations. Please don't construe a single exception ( or three :) ) as the rule. 99% of the time I will not purchase a MAR'd presentation; this just happens to be the one time that content outweighed other issues.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks