What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde (1932 & 1941) - (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

"...like watching a different movie"? Don't you think this is something of an exaggeration?

Not to dis' you or anything, this did get the blessing of our resident PQ guru around these here parts (Robert Harris), which for a lot of us (me included) carries quite a bit of weight:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ll+And+Mr+Hyde

Care to post some screen shots?

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Bill, since you mentioned Boys Town, this movie would be a certain pick for me, alaong with Fury, Captain Courageous, Mannequin, Boys Town and Tortilla Flat, all great efforts for Spencer Tracy.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
...like watching a different movie"? Don't you think this is something of an exaggeration?

No, buy a laser disc player and the LD and compare yourself.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

I have the Laserdisc and the DVD. Concurring with other reviewers who have mentioned the earlier incarnations, the DVD is heads-and-tails better looking than the laserdisc.

The new DVD is much clearer, sharper, better defined (not to mention with added footage restored).

This echoes the comments made by Robert Harris.

Many friends of mine have both LD and DVD on this title as well, and found the improvements equally impressive.

:emoji_thumbsup:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I have a Mitsubishi 65711(2003 top of the line RPTV-professionally ISFed-calibrated)), with a Panasonic RP-82(top of the line with a 91 score in the DVD shoot-out)with M-500 Monster cables for all connections and a Pioneer DVL-700 for the LD's and I'm telling you(IMHO) that you can see more detail on the LD than the DVD!

I grant you that the DVD is cleaner, sharper and nicer looking but maybe you're watching the DVD and LD on a 27 incher...then everything looks good.

I'm not blind and I know what I see.

Like I said, I'm glad I have both versions, one for the most complete and one that shows more detail!!! :D

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I just recieved this from amazon (along with Captain Marvel from Artisan) and I'm highly pleased.

So far, I only watched a few bits of the 1932 version to see how the quality is... excellent! Sure, there is some light print damage, but the photographic quality is WONDERFUL. It was kind of weird, though, to see the Paramount logo on a Warner DVD...

About the shadow detail...

It's possible that the LD had the wrong amount of brightness and contrast. The DVD looks like it has the right grayscale values (at least compared to some B&W transfers I've seen with way too low contrast).

Warner is really putting out a lot of great classics this year... I hope 2004 matches the quality of their 2003 schedule or outshines it.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
On the LD at the beginning of the film when one of the film crew crouches while going under the camera and it's reflected onto the mirror, he looks like he's part of the film he's so clear.

On the DVD, if you blinked you missed it. You would have to look really close and probably restep it a few times to see it.

But then again, you could be right. The LD could have been mastered in the wrong contrast and brightness and it's showing you something that you shouldn't have seen.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Is anyone familiar with the production history of the 1941 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?

Has the movie been cut between its theatrical run and the home video release? I do own the British PAL double feature on DVD. Here the movie has a run time of 108:12 min.

Yesterday I taped the German version of the movie from the German tv-station ARD, a public broadcaster without commercials. The run time of my recording is 115:38 min., in PAL of course.

There are also, at least 2, threads at the imdb that the movie has been censored and that there are several scenes missing: here and here.

I haven't had time to do a detailed comparison between my recording and the DVD yet but it's on my agenda for the weekend.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Interesting. I've never heard of any cuts to this film, but I have always been partial to the Mamoulian version and haven't watched this version for quite a few years. I certainly hope that we'll get a complete uncut version on Blu-Ray.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
The AFI catalog lists a running time of 127 minutes for the Tracy version, as do a number of other sources. The review that started this thread lists a running time of 113 minutes.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
I started to compare both versions and finished the first 25 minutes. The version I recorded on German television definitely features scenes not present on the DVD versions, e.g. when Tracy is taking home Bergman, he opens the front door and the scene continues with Tracy and Bergman standing before Bergman's room.

In my German TV version, they open the front door and one can see Tracy carrying Bergman up the stairs and there's also a short dialogue. There are also several extended scene transitions in the German TV version, e.g. after the church scene, Lana Turner is driving in a carriage with her "father". At the end of the scene she starts to giggle and the DVD fades to the following scene in Jekyll's medical practice, whereas the German TV version features a close-up of Lana's face and she continues to giggle and laugh for 3-4 seconds longer.

On the other side, there are also tiny bits and pieces missing in the German TV version.

I'll continue with my report and will put it online when it's finished like I did a comparison between both The Big Sleep versions.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Originally Posted by Marcel H.

I started to compare both versions and finished the first 25 minutes. The version I recorded on German television definitely features scenes not present on the DVD versions, e.g. when Tracy is taking home Bergman, he opens the front door and the scene continues with Tracy and Bergman standing before Bergman's room.

In my German TV version, they open the front door and one can see Tracy carrying Bergman up the stairs and there's also a short dialogue. There are also several extended scene transitions in the German TV version, e.g. after the church scene, Lana Turner is driving in a carriage with her "father". At the end of the scene she starts to giggle and the DVD fades to the following scene in Jekyll's medical practice, whereas the German TV version features a close-up of Lana's face and she continues to giggle and laugh for 3-4 seconds longer.

On the other side, there are also tiny bits and pieces missing in the German TV version.

I'll continue with my report and will put it online when it's finished like I did a comparison between both The Big Sleep versions.

Is that one line of dialogue from the trailer in the German cut too? It's where Jekyll/Hyde makes a reference to Hades (I assumed it was removed for production code reasons)

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Originally Posted by JoHud

Is that one line of dialogue from the trailer in the German cut too? It's where Jekyll/Hyde makes a reference to Hades (I assumed it was removed for production code reasons)

I looked into the trailer but couldn't find the scene you mentioned. I finished my comparison - it's not online yet - but there's a total of 40 differences between both versions. In the German cut, both transformation scenes are longer and there are also two long monologues by Jekyll/Hyde featured that are missing from the DVD version. The German Version is approx. 463 seconds longer than the DVD version - both in PAL.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
My comparison is online - only in German, though. http://www.schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=897474

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks