What's new

cinefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
Wow, memory rush! I LOVED those Richard Anobile books when I was a kid.

At the risk of wandering too far off topic, I have to say I loved those Richard Anobile books as a kid too. They seem peculiar now, but as a movie-crazy youngster in the days before home video they were great. As you can see here I still have my Why A Duck? hardcover. I think I had the W.C. Fields one too but if I still have it I can't lay hands on it. I also still have my hardcover of Anobile's Marx Brothers Scrapbook which is a different animal entirely but which I must have re-read at least 10 times as a youngster.

20221029_140232.jpg
20221029_140202.jpg

On the topic of Jekyll and Hyde, I'm still making do with my old 2004 DVD double-feature disc of the 1931 and 1941, but these reviews are really making me want to dedicate some disc budget to picking up the blu of at least the 1931 -- especially since I just grabbed Kino Lorber's blu-ray of the Barrymore silent in Kino's most recent sale. I've never seen the Barrymore -- maybe this Halloween.

Santee7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
kirk
At the risk of wandering too far off topic, I have to say I loved those Richard Anobile books as a kid too. They seem peculiar now, but as a movie-crazy youngster in the days before home video they were great. As you can see here I still have my Why A Duck? hardcover. I think I had the W.C. Fields one too but if I still have it I can't lay hands on it. I also still have my hardcover of Anobile's Marx Brothers Scrapbook which is a different animal entirely but which I must have re-read at least 10 times as a youngster.

View attachment 160467 View attachment 160468

On the topic of Jekyll and Hyde, I'm still making do with my old 2004 DVD double-feature disc of the 1931 and 1941, but these reviews are really making me want to dedicate some disc budget to picking up the blu of at least the 1931 -- especially since I just grabbed Kino Lorber's blu-ray of the Barrymore silent in Kino's most recent sale. I've never seen the Barrymore -- maybe this Halloween.
I was in a bad mood, had watched the 2004 dvd just months ago, and when I put in the blu ray was just prepared to be unimpressed. Had my glasses of, was lying down, and as soon as it began...Wow! Now this is a new film! And when Hyde first makes his moves on Ivy. Repellantly beautiful is all I can say. I promise this IS an upgrade!

Santee7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
kirk

View attachment 160467 View attachment 160468

Also....had all of those... the Marx brothers were my favorites. Bought em all throuugh THE MOVIE BOOK CLUB. Twas as close as I thought I would ever get to owning movies. So glad I was wrong! But glad I had the Anobile library.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
A fun blast fom a rather primitive past. But they were a thrill then. I still have a couple of them - PSYCHO, for sure.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
Just received J & H (31) on Wednesday. Will try to watch it tomorrow. All of the glowing review and opinions of you guys have tempted me to watch it sooner than later. I also own the DVD with the 2 sided disc. I haven’t watched it in years.

John Skoda

Second Unit
Watched this for the first time last night. Was amazed there are effects shots (from a 1931 film) where I was wondering how the heck they did that!

The other thing--I was obsessed with gloves in the first party scene--most men are wearing gloves, but Jekyll spends the entire sequence carrying his gloves in his hand. I kept thinking, put them in your pocket! Maybe it was a manners thing where, if you weren't wearing them, everyone had to at least see that you had them?

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Watched this for the first time last night. Was amazed there are effects shots (from a 1931 film) where I was wondering how the heck they did that!

The other thing--I was obsessed with gloves in the first party scene--most men are wearing gloves, but Jekyll spends the entire sequence carrying his gloves in his hand. I kept thinking, put them in your pocket! Maybe it was a manners thing where, if you weren't wearing them, everyone had to at least see that you had them?
Gloves or no gloves I watched this last night and was so pleased with the picture quality which is outstanding . The movie is top tier entertainment . Warner Archive never fail to deliver. I look forward to the next big one : Night of the Iguana.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks