What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Black Hawk Down" (1 Viewer)

MikeM

Screenwriter
Nice review, Ron. Hmmm......as much as I hate this, I think I'll have to wait for the SE later this year. I'm not usually so hard up for extras, but I'm really hoping they include some documentary footage of the real incident. (I believe it was the History Channel or A&E that had a fascinating documentary on this.)

It'll be tough, but I guess that's why they have rental stores to hold us over in the mean time.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Thanks for the review Ron. Like Lord of the Rings, I will be buying Black Hawk Down twice. I cannot wait for the SE of this DVD. This was easily one of the best films of 2001 and I cannot wait to see it again. The film left me exhausted in the theater, but it is such a compelling film, I want to see it again. I can't imagine this disc not being in my collection at all times.

I also hope they put the History Channel "The Real Story of Black Hawk Down" documentary on the SE.

-Dean-

Tommy G

Screenwriter
There are 4 movies which I am out of my mind waiting to obtain this year and Black Hawk Down is one of them. Thanks Ron for a wonderful review.

kevin_asai

Stunt Coordinator
I've bought the R3 version of the Black Hawk Down. Distributed by HongKong CTHV. It looks great. I bought this copy while I was in HongKong.

Adrian_P

Stunt Coordinator
As much as I would love to pick this up straight away bare bones and all, I will have to wait for the Special Edition because importing nowadays just costs way too much.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I cancelled my pre-order...I need to have discipline to just wait and buy the SE. :)

Steve Clark

Second Unit
After this review and based on the fact I have not seen the movie, I absolutely am not waiting for any SE. An excellent Dolby Digital mix suits me just fine. I'll rent or borrow the SE to see the extras once.

Larry_W

Agent
Great review! I can't wait to get my hands on it. And yes, I will also buy the Special Edition when it comes out. I saw this movie 3 times in the movie theater because so many of my friends wanted to see it at different times and I thoroughly enjoyed each seating. Definitely will be a movie to show off that HT.

MikeM

Screenwriter
After this review and based on the fact I have not seen the movie, I absolutely am not waiting for any SE. An excellent Dolby Digital mix suits me just fine. I'll rent or borrow the SE to see the extras once.
It's funny, I think just the opposite way. I figure I can rent the bare bones version (a few times if really necessary) to hold me over until the SE comes out. If the SE has an excellent DTS mix, and has some really nice extras (like that History Channel documentary), then it will be well worth the wait in my book.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
As good as the video transfer is, will adding a DTS track on a 2.5 hour movie in any way RISK adding too many artifacts or denegration to what sounds like a great tranfer? Is it possible the DD version will have a slightly better transfer that the inevitable DTS version since this is a 2.5 hour movie?
That's actually a pretty good point. Normally, I wouldn't be worried but this movie is a bit longer, and the SE will probably have at least one commentary track too. So even if most of the extras are on a second disc, they may have to compress the video more. Then again maybe the barebones edition has a foreign-language 5.1 soundtrack that would be dropped on the SE?

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
YANG
You mentioned a trim down PG13 Black Hawk Down is on sale
in Singapore I don't seem to find it. A VCD version was
annouced, maybe I missed this one.

YANG

Screenwriter
"YANG
You mentioned a trim down PG13 Black Hawk Down is on sale
in Singapore I don't seem to find it. A VCD version was
annouced, maybe I missed this one."

There is indeed a trimmed down version that will be released in DVD format.According to the last info that i received,the discs were originally ready to be distribute on 29thMAY.But due to a printing error on the artwork,ALLIANCE/CTHV SINGAPORE decided to delay the release which will possibly be as late as mid JUNE(far more later the the official U.S date).The S.R.P of this disc will be S$35.

The trimmed down(aka censored) version will be a local PG rated version.This will not have anything to do with U.S MPAA rating of PG rating.

Lots of parts will be censored,mostly the bloody ones such as...

1.At the opening of the movie,refugees were shot by the mobs during their raid on the Un food supplies.Most of these shot victims are women and children.

2.In the urban battle ground,that guy who had his finger shot.The focus/zoom in of the dangling finger will probably be removed.

3.The RPG hits the truck that carries POWS.A soldier flies out with only half of his body(bloody scary as SAVING PRIVATE RYAN) and carried away by the medics will be removed(i am very positive on this).

4.A RPG hits the side of a truck,but did not detonate,stucks in the middle of the driver's body.This wound close up will be removed.

5.When CORPORAL JIMMY(pls rectify me if i am wrong) was shot at his knee,other guys tries hard to save him by performing a un-professional operation trying to join the torn veins.That whole process may possibly be removed due to bloody protrayal and scary scenes that will not be suitable for childrens watching.

The above are the five big ones that i am positive that will be removed.Other smaller ones,i can't confirm on that.

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
At least in Saving Pte Ryan,Tom Hank's Captain Miller just
dragged the half body along whilst in Black Hawk Down the
half body got to say a few parting words before he passed on.This is one sure 'chopped' scene from the release.

YANG

Screenwriter
"Sounds like they are going to cut out half the movie!"

No! If they are going to half-lengthen the movie,there is no point of releasing it as a edited version.The pity part of this edited version,is on the part which are going to be removed...mostly the tear jearking dramatic moment.Except the dangling finger and women and children get shot.

Most possibly,this version will be shorten by about...15mins or so...I don't know how to calculate exactly,but the current PAL VCD edited version(which will be the same to the upcoming DVD release) runs about 140mins.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Great review Ron, I saw this in theaters and cannot wait for this one! :emoji_thumbsup:
And I don't think the length of the movie should be a problem, I mean 'Gladiator' includes both DD and DTS and it looks incredible. However, if it does present a problem, and I know nobody likes to hear this, perhaps this will call for the film to be spread over two discs like 'Pearl Harbor' is.
Hey, if you want the best possible video, you have to make some sacrifices sometimes I always say.

kevin_asai

Stunt Coordinator
YANG,
I was lucky to get the R3 HK version which is, of course, uncensored ;) Those scenes that you mentioned will be cut for sure.
The censorship issues in Singapore treat adults like a kid :angry:

Blu

Screenwriter
I am hoping when this excellent movie is released in the SE format the amazing History Channel documentary will be released with it. It was a very incredible and touching account of the mission.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I was very disturbed back in '93 when this thing happened,when I saw the movie I felt more angry[towards the somalies]and patriotic at the same time.Awesome movie,a renter for this version,and buying the SE later on.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
And I don't think the length of the movie should be a problem, I mean 'Gladiator' includes both DD and DTS and it looks incredible.
I thought Gladiator looked excellent, but I did notice some slight artifacting (although not bothersome - noticable) that I haven't seen on some other anamorphic discs. So, I'm just wondering if it would have looked even better if the DTS track was dropped, or if the commentaries were dropped and a more simpler menu was used (ala Superbit). I don't know, maybe it would have made a slight difference, maybe not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks