What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Black Hawk Down" (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Keith,

No date has been announced. It has been speculated that it will be released by the end of the year. I would guess December or even Janaury.

Neil J

Stunt Coordinator
Too bad their is not a SE release date yet. I have no problems with the video quality but I think the sound would probably be even that much better in DTS. Also this is one movie that I would definatly be interested in all of the supplemental material, the short on set interview/making-of just doesn't cut it. Just my 2 cents.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I received my copy today. I will be viewing it tonight and I'll post my impressions afterwards.
I can't wait to spin this disc. It was in my Top 5 of 2001. All I need now is Lord of the Rings and I'll have all of my Top 5 films from 2001 on DVD. :)
-Dean-

Blu

Screenwriter
I've got a weird question, I know there are no BHD trailers on this upcoming DVD but I can't find the trailer I saw in Theaters on the web.
It had Dave Matthews Band singing The Space Between on it.
Instead I'll I've found are one with Knockin' On Heaven's Door and another, longer trailer.
I wonder if it will make in on the SE later this year.

Roy Van Nostrand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roy Van Nostrand
Nice review, Ron! Thanks. Where were all your reviews back in '97 and '98 when we really needed them? :)
Buy now and buy later. Give your "previously-viewed" bare bones release away and make a new friend out of somebody.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I watched BHD last night and just like when I viewd it at the theater, I felt drained afterwards. The film is so intense that it just wears me out. I did enjoy it just as much as the 1st time I saw it and I feel Ridley Scott did a great job of putting us in the battle.

As far as the DVD goes, It was top notch. The video and audio were both fantastic. This is obviously a reference audio track and the entire soundstage is used to its fullest to make it one. I would like to hear a DTS track to see if it can improve the DD 5.1. I am looking forward to the SE release of this DVD, but this bare-bones release will be spun many times until that day comes.

-Dean-

Blu

Screenwriter
"The Space Between" was only used for the TV spots.
I beg to differ, it was used when I saw Planet of the Apes.
It was the music used. The film melted during that trailer and we had to set there for 1/2 hour for them to fix it, we talked about the music that had started and after it was fixed we discovered what song it was.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Just finished watching this disc...amazing. Picture quality is fantastic and the Dolby track is reference all the way. If is wasnt for the lack of features(for now) this would easily be one of the best discs ever overall, now we just need to stand for a top notch presentation with minimal extras while waiting for the SE

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
Although I really enjoyed the film, I don't see myself buying this bare-bones disk, knowing that another is coming within the year (possibly).

I think that Columbia should have just put out the SE, but I also thought that about Dogma, Rushmore (which was not Columbia of course), and other films.

DanR

Supporting Actor
This release is going to be so hard to resist. I love this movie, but I really want the Special Edition from Charlie de Lauzirika and Ridley Scott. I guess I'll have to rent this version, and hope the SE gets a release date for later this year. Does anyone know when the Special Edition is expected? I don't think Columbia Tri-Star, Charlie, or Ridley have mentioned anything about a date yet.

Regards,
Dan

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Hmmm... Had I not known of the special edition I would have bought this.

Now as it stands it's gonna be a rental, and I'll buy the Special Edition later.

Butch C

Second Unit
BTW...why is there absolutly no Dolby symbol anywhere on the packaging?

Now if they'd just release 'Coming Home In Bodybags' 1 and 2 my war film catalog would be complete

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Just picked up my copy today. I have 3 Adcom GFA-535 amps showing up on my front door tomorrow. Gonna make for one very fun and loud Saturday movie night.
I will pick up the SE as well, if and only if it has a dts track. If not, the extras are not enough for a re-purchase.
Peace Out~:D

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know what will be added for the SE?

I wont wait for the SE for extras, but I might for a longer cut.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
was very disturbed back in '93 when this thing happened,when I saw the movie I felt more angry[towards the somalies]and patriotic at the same time.
Know absolutely nothing about this movie. I’m curious, how was it received in the rest of the world? Is it a universally good movie or a patriotic movie for R1? What the UK members think?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks